Traceback Error after changing labels

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Steffenator
Regular

Traceback Error after changing labels

#1 Post by Steffenator »

All I did was rename a file that I created, and changed the name of one label in that file, and added a new label in the same file.
Poof!

It says "duplicate labels" in there somewhere, but I checked, and there are none in my files.

help?

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After initialization, but before game start.
  File "renpy/common/00voice.rpy", line 360, in voice_interact
    if _menu:
NameError: global name '_menu' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 295, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\main.py", line 430, in main
    renpy.game.script.report_duplicate_labels()
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\script.py", line 890, in report_duplicate_labels
    if renpy.parser.report_parse_errors():
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\parser.py", line 2543, in report_parse_errors
    renpy.display.error.report_parse_errors(full_text, error_fn)
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\display\error.py", line 179, in report_parse_errors
    error_fn=error_fn,
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\game.py", line 280, in invoke_in_new_context
    return callable(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\display\error.py", line 43, in call_exception_screen
    return renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", suppress_overlay=True, suppress_underlay=True)
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\ui.py", line 285, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Jared\Desktop\XFer\renpy-6.99.12.2\renpy\display\core.py", line 2519, in interact
    i()
  File "renpy/common/00voice.rpy", line 360, in voice_interact
    if _menu:
NameError: global name '_menu' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
Just_Visiting 1.0
There once was a language called Ren'Py
that made all the wannabes cry... with joy.
It gave them the power,
they spent every hour,
to finish a game, or die.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Traceback Error after changing labels

#2 Post by Ocelot »

Remove .rpyc (not .rpy) file with the old name of renamed file. Actually, remove them all. It is a good idea to delete all .rpyc files whn you do any manipulations with files.

.rpyc files are compiled .rpy scripts. You can consider them another copy of corresponding .rpy file. What is important is that in abscence of .rpy file they start to act as its replacement, making your game to behave as it was still here.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Steffenator
Regular

Re: Traceback Error after changing labels

#3 Post by Steffenator »

Boom!
I had no idea that renpy scanned the rpyc files as well.
I thought those were just for backup.
There once was a language called Ren'Py
that made all the wannabes cry... with joy.
It gave them the power,
they spent every hour,
to finish a game, or die.