Help! Windows 7 locking game folder after running game!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
molitar

Help! Windows 7 locking game folder after running game!

#1 Post by molitar »

I started to play the free game Doki Doki Literature Club! that was a free download but after testing it out I wanted to move the folder and it was locked! I had to terminate all my explorer.exe to get it to unlock. Why is Windows 7 locking the Renpy Games?

I have other Renpy games and they all do the same exact behavior until I terminate and restart Explorer.exe all files are locked.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Help! Windows 7 locking game folder after running game!

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Have you checked taskmanager to see if any process is using that folder?
What do you mean by locked? What message does it give you?

Have you restarted recently? Closing explorer.exe and restarting it causes memory leaks. Its a better idea to restart the computer.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

molitar

Re: Help! Windows 7 locking game folder after running game!

#3 Post by molitar »

Not sure but if I terminate explorer.exe and restart it will unlock.. Issue happened after I ran that game I just mentioned above.. not sure if it is using an older version or newer version of Renpy but now all my renpy is buggy like this.