[solved] Renpy-launcher (development) - change default storage for screenshots?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Errilhl
Regular
Projects: HSS
Deviantart: studioerrilhl
Github: studioerrilhl

[solved] Renpy-launcher (development) - change default storage for screenshots?

#1 Post by Errilhl »

For some reason, Renpy launcher defaults to saving the screenshots taking while developing in the actual runtime folder... instead of, like... the My pictures folder, My documents/renpy-screenshots or whatever else would make a bit more sense. You don't store anything in program-folders!

Is it possible to change this behavior? A setting somewhere? Or is this hardcoded into the launcher?
Last edited by Errilhl on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on: Image

RicharDann
Veteran

Re: Renpy-launcher (development) - change default storage for screenshots?

#2 Post by RicharDann »

Screenshots are saved in the sdk folder only if testing (with the launcher), when you build and release the game screenshots will be saved in the same folder where the game's executable is.

Anyways there's this variable called config.screenshot_pattern, wich determines the full name of the image including filepath. So you can add this somewhere in your code, for example, in your script.rpy file, to specify a path yourself:

Code: Select all

define config.screenshot_pattern = "C:\Users\Public\Pictures\screenshot%04d.png"
This would save the image in Pictures folder on Windows 7 onwards, but I don't know what it would do on a different OS or platform.
The most important step is always the next one.

Errilhl
Regular
Projects: HSS
Deviantart: studioerrilhl
Github: studioerrilhl

Re: Renpy-launcher (development) - change default storage for screenshots?

#3 Post by Errilhl »

Thanks - I will test it out.

That worked perfectly! :) Thanks a lot. Still think it would be nice to have a specific setting for the development / launcher console, so that this was kept separate from the in-game logic, but it works. Now I just need to remember to take it out when I'm packaging :D
Currently working on: Image

komehara
Regular
Projects: Spirit Link
Tumblr: hsandt
Deviantart: hsandt
Github: hsandt
itch: komehara

Re: [solved] Renpy-launcher (development) - change default storage for screenshots?

#4 Post by komehara »

Maybe you could check config.developer before setting config.screenshot_pattern? I guess a define won't work in this case, but you could use a Python assignment instead.