Who is the toughest boss you've ever faced in an RPG Game?

For the rest of your otaku life.
GLACIER
Regular

Re: Who is the toughest boss you've ever faced in an RPG Game?

#46 Post by GLACIER »

Haven't actually seen either of these guys but apparently they are about 10-15 times harder than the final boss...anyone who's played these two bosses, any thougts?
It's been over ten years since I played FFVII, but I think secret items were required to beat those bosses.

Those fights became straightforward once you acquired the right stuff, although Ruby Weapon definitely required some strategic experimentation (a one-on-one fight in my case to avoid either a brutal attack or ejection from battle).

That was probably the last time I tried to accomplish everything in a RPG. Nowadays, I just go with a quick play through, assuming that I even finish the game.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#47 Post by LVUER »

GLACIER wrote: It's been over ten years since I played FFVII, but I think secret items were required to beat those bosses.

That was probably the last time I tried to accomplish everything in a RPG. Nowadays, I just go with a quick play through, assuming that I even finish the game.
Secret items aren't needed to beat them but it will make the fight A LOT easier, like underwater materia which eliminates the time limit.

If you want to play a short but satisfaying RPG, try Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter. It is the only and the best Survival RPG. It's kinda like BoF and RE mixed into one game, without the zombie. But the story quite disturbing though (you die easily, your friend stab you in the throat, etc)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#48 Post by azureXtwilight »

Ah, those I posted earlier, ARE optional bosses,*ahem*.
Sometimes, when I'm already tired with those goddamit bosses, I used ARMAX.
Aaaaand.....
I finished them and not satisfied, I want to finish them myself!
And I level up more and tried my best...
And the main hero's dead.
DAMN YOU!!!
You ^%*%%(&%&%(!!!!! (Throws away controller)
One more crazy boss to add,
anyone can BEAT the final secret boss in Avatar Tuner 2?
(forgets his name, played it years ago)

Karasu_Noir
Regular

#49 Post by Karasu_Noir »

Hey, I saw you everywhere I posted, azureXtwilight.
Quite energetic, huh?
I did, I leveled everyone up to MAX and there he goes...
A life is a life, there's no need to rush anything.
Just sit back and relax.
But don't take too long.
.............Or darkness will eat you.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#50 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yes, I AM!!!!
How did you... Ah, I did it too, but I lost.
Bang! Dammit!

LVUER
King of Lolies

#51 Post by LVUER »

It doesn't matter if you collect all rarest items, equip strongest weapons/armors for every characters, bring all of your characters up to level 2.000 (yeah, you read it right), optional bosses that extremely hard still HARD!

Some even could still bring you a warm game-over screen although you use infinite HP codes.

Karasu_Noir
Regular

#52 Post by Karasu_Noir »

What's the point in beating those optional bosses, really?
A life is a life, there's no need to rush anything.
Just sit back and relax.
But don't take too long.
.............Or darkness will eat you.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#53 Post by azureXtwilight »

The points?
Uhh, we just get satisfaction, you know....
Like how good we are in a game, and so on.
In KH, we even can see the secret scene XD.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#54 Post by LVUER »

First and usual reason for normal optional bosses is they net you tons of EXP, or rarest item/equipment (or item needed to make ultimate equipment).

Second is the sense of accomplishment that you get from beating all bosses and clearing everything in a game. It true for perfectionist like me (and other perfectionist).

Third is the bragging right. Some even goes as far as defeating the hardest boss in the game (which is usually an optional boss) but never leveling up, never use any mist quickening (FFXII), use any power up sphere (FFX), etc.

Second and third reason is the main reason since most optional bosses nowadays do not give you anything. No item, no huge exp (just so-so) and even no secret or special scene.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#55 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yup, that sucks now, so right now my main goal is to brag to my friends, wkwkwk.

BTW, I'm also a perfectionist in a game, but trying to lower it, because someone got angry at me for being "TOO PERFECTIONIST", man....
There HAS to be a secret event in this game somewhere!!!!

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#56 Post by Vatina »

Every time I decide to (re)play a Final Fantasy game or anything like it, I always tell myself "this time I'll beat those bosses and unlock all the secrets!"
But before I ever get that far, I feel like starting all over again instead..... :P So there is still lots of stuff in my games that I have never tried.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#57 Post by LVUER »

Vatina wrote:Every time I decide to (re)play a Final Fantasy game or anything like it, I always tell myself "this time I'll beat those bosses and unlock all the secrets!"
But before I ever get that far, I feel like starting all over again instead..... :P So there is still lots of stuff in my games that I have never tried.
Try Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter (PS2). It is the first and the only survival RPG, kinda Resident Evil RPG, only without zombies. The game is great, filled with tense right from the beginning until the end, and the game is short (not to mention the existence of time limit, making the game shorter; pass the time limit and it's instant game over).

Or try Valkyrie Profile (PS). Kinda like Action RPG since in battle, each button represent a single characters. You can do juggling, combo, cancel, etc. In field, it becomes platforming. The game is great and pretty short (shorter if you already know what to do).

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#58 Post by Cybeat »

Phantasy Star Online: Olga Flow in Ultimate Mode.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Renpika
Location: Somewhere on the 5th Galaxy, turn left, then 3 planets straight ahead

#59 Post by Renpika »

Generally speaking, any Final Fantasy optional boss is tough as hell. The higher the FF-rank is, the tougher the boss gets.
The most annoying bosses are the Dark Aeons of FFX and the mission monsters of FFXII.

Seriously... did anyone bother to get them all ?

I remember Emerald Weapon (FFVII), much harder than Ruby, but still beatable with some strategy.
And I'm not talking about the Knights-of-Round/W-Summon & Final Attack/Phoenix combos.
There WAS a strategy to win.

Yet it becomes very hard today to beat a single optional boss that would wipe out the final boss in a breeze if he would like to.
For instance, I beat the final boss of FFX with A SINGLE SHOT.
But I spent hours trying to beat a single aeon...
To win, there are no strategies anymore... it's mostly a matter of luck...

Oh well...

Putting Final Fantasy aside, the toughest bosses I fought and won without ultimate secret weapons are :

- The duo Dominia/Kelvina in Xenogears
- The Sphinx of Chrono Cross (yet another optional boss)
- Shinnou in Sakura Wars 2 (it took me 4 hours to beat him)
- Bloodbane in Valkyrie Profile (an insane MANDATORY boss that could wipe out crowds)
- The trio Luc/Yuber/Sarah in Suikoden 3 (each one of them could kill you one-shot if you were REALLY unlucky)

I think there are many others that I forget. But these ones (mostly Bloodbane) made my head boil in frustration.
"In THAT direction lives a Hatter : and in THAT direction lives a March Hare. Visit either you like : they're both mad.
- But I don't want to go among mad people, said Alice.
- Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

(Alice in Wonderland)

esrix
Regular

#60 Post by esrix »

One of the toughest enemies (not really a boss) I ever faced was the Hydra in Grandia 3. He's not a particularly powerful boss, but one of its three heads casts a spell that causes all the heads to regenerates HP at an enormous rate whenever you aren't hitting them. The battle becomes a mixture of trying to cancel out the planned actions of the heads and using power moves to destroy the head with the healing ability. It takes quite a while to kill them all off.

What's worse... after you finish the fight and rotate the doors in the room, there's another Hydra waiting for you.

The Melc Crystal is also not fun. He is really one tough jerk who changes forms often. When he does, his speed is incredible and he has very devastating long range attacks that quickly decimate your HP.
PyTom wrote: I have a confession to make. I am a munchkin. I will attempt to find loopholes in the game design, that make it trivial for me to win any battle.

A good example is Final Fantasy 9. One of the things with FF9 was that Haste stacked with Regen, which meant that a character with Haste would regenerate faster. Needless to say, I gave all my characters auto-haste and auto-regen (and maybe auto-cure, I forget). Over the course of the attack animation for the final boss (which involved slamming, IIRC, four planets into you), the party would regenerate all the damage from the last attack. The battle then degenerated into my party, not in any serious peril, repeatedly whacking the boss over the head with a sword.
I like to find loopholes, too. Again, in Grandia 3, give Yuki the "Berserk" ability and perform his special move "Flash" causes him to strike an enemy up to twelve times in a row. My roommate took it a step further and found that if you time it correctly with an aerial combo, you can get up to 30 hits on a single enemy.