Can Ren'Py games made in/before 2014 run on macOS 10.13.6

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SilentSiren

Can Ren'Py games made in/before 2014 run on macOS 10.13.6

#1 Post by SilentSiren »

Hi, I've been trying to get a Ren'Py game (this one: http://www.unbrokenhours.com/ruin/) that was made in/before 2014 to run on macOS 10.13.6, but I can't seem to even launch the game. The app's icon bounces a few times on my dock before disappearing. I already gave permission for the app to run on my laptop, but I still can't run the game. Is it because the game isn't compatible with macOS 10.13.6?

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Can Ren'Py games made in/before 2014 run on macOS 10.13.6

#2 Post by namastaii »

It's possible. You could ask the creator to update the game? It was a while ago.

SilentSiren

#3 Post by SilentSiren »

I just bought the game today thinking it'll run fine since I could run the demo without issues several months ago. I've contacted the creator but I'm not too optimistic about getting a reply...

In the meantime, I downloaded Ren'Py 6.99.13 to run the game through the launcher. However, I can't save my progress. I get this error whenever I try to use a save slot:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in script
    else:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in <module>
    else:
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 359, in __call__

Exception: Not saved - no valid save locations.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in script
    else:
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 827, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/python.py", line 1764, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in <module>
    else:
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2553, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 3237, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/layout.py", line 969, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/transition.py", line 45, in event
    return self.new_widget.event(ev, x, y, st)  # E1101
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/layout.py", line 969, in event
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/screen.py", line 653, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 897, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 832, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 306, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 359, in __call__

File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/loadsave.py", line 315, in save
    location.save(slotname, sr)
  File "/Users/EstherSeah/Desktop/renpy-6.99.13-sdk/renpy/savelocation.py", line 407, in save
    raise Exception("Not saved - no valid save locations.")
Exception: Not saved - no valid save locations.

Darwin-17.7.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
Princess of Ruin 1.5
How can I fix this? I'm completely clueless.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by namastaii »

You shouldn't need to run the game through the engine, does it not come with an .exe? It will run with the engine it was published on

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by namastaii »

The demo runs fine on my computer currently. The full game should run as an .exe as well

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

I'm on a Mac and I just opened up The Elevator which is from 2012. So if there is a problem, it isn't some sort of larger problem. It might be just you.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978