Is this acceptable?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Is this acceptable?

#1 Post by namastaii »

Sorry to be vague but I noticed all the creative commons (and paid) resources are kind of just scattered all over the internet. We have some forum posts here and on steam and other places that have lists of links to content but you can't really see what the content is until you click the link.

I decided to create a website where resources can be found all in one place (that still link to the rightful artist's pages) but you can visually see their work in a portfolio-like display and each page is dedicated to on artist and their website link, the copyright/license information as well as every image being linked to the original page when clicked.

What I'm wondering is, is this okay? Does it cross over any legal lines? Because I was hoping to also link these artist's paid assets as well so users know all they have to offer. In a way, it's free advertising? If anyone has any knowledge on this, please share. Thank you.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

Re: Is this acceptable?

#2 Post by verysunshine »

That could be useful. I don't think it would break any rules unless you used CC - Noncommercial items on a site that (for example) has advertising. Resources can be quite scattered, and it's difficult to find something that matches what you have envisioned, even for things like "four characters with the same art style."

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by namastaii »

Well I wouldn't have ads on my site. I wouldn't be making any money, I'd actually be paying out of pocket to run the site but I think it would be useful too (and a fun project anyway)

Plus I'd have a page allowing people to contact to take something down or to even add to it. I think it could end up being a really useful resource for people. I just don't want to make anyone upset obviously :)
My only goal in this is to make finding assets easier

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#4 Post by verysunshine »

I honestly think a more curated approach might be more helpful than allowing anyone to add things to the database. If you allow anyone to add items, you could have situations where people upload inappropriate material, material that isn't actually under a creative commons or public domain licence, or information listed with an incorrect licence. This would be something made on your own time, so minimising moderation could be helpful.

I contacted a creator of an animation toolkit after noticing that some of the models in their preview tool were of copyrighted characters they didn't have the licence for. The creator had bought the assets not knowing the original model makers didn't have permission to sell the models. The models were patched out.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by namastaii »

Oh, I was never planning on letting it be something that people can add to. It'd all be done by me so it would take a while. I would just allow users to submit a request and give me a link to the artists work etc and then I can manually add them to the site :)

I have it set up so each page is dedicated to one specific artist and their conditions to using their assets and links to their websites or places to purchase their paid work as well. I will be very vigilant about the information and content

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#6 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

That's an amazing idea, I think! I was too, thinking that, even though there is a lot of place where everything is linked, having to click on every link to see what the asset looks like was kind of complicated with how much free to use assets there are.

If your website is well-organised, with categories (sprite, background, CG, ...) and the type of licences easy to see (maybe with a color code?), it would be absolutely wonderful! But it certainly going to be a loooot of work.

On a legal aspect: it might be illegal for the ones that are not free, so you might want to ask permission before. (There's no reason for the artists to refuse free visibility like that, but they should still be asked permission.)