[SOLVED] Pause movie on last frame?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

[SOLVED] Pause movie on last frame?

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all,

Is it possible to play a movie, then have it display the last frame/ pause, until the player clicks to continue? The video I'm using has a date on it, and I don't want it to disappear once the movie is done - It's important that the player can read the date.

I've previously worked around this by displaying an image of the last frame after the movie until the player clicks to continue, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do this so I don't need to add a bunch of images?

Last edited by Kinmoku on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

IrinaLazareva
Veteran
Projects: Legacy
Organization: SunShI

Re: Pause movie on last frame?

#2 Post by IrinaLazareva »

The video's playback system in renpy is not as advanced, unfortunately. So image only, yet. (Anyway, it's easier to do than trying to rewrite a standard code).
Another idea that comes to mind: use the animation at the end of the video, i.e. several interchangeable images to smooth the overall impression.

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by hell_oh_world »

actually, you can do this. just pass the `image` parameter...
quoting...
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html#Movie
An image that is displayed when play has been given, but the file it refers to does not exist. (For example, this can be used to create a slimmed-down mobile version that does not use movie sprites.) Users can also choose to fall back to this image as a preference if video is too taxing for their system. The image will also be used if the video plays, and then the movie ends.
so...

Code: Select all

image the_movie = Movie(play="movie_name.webm", image="end_frame.png")

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#4 Post by Kinmoku »

Ah, so it's not quite possible. Good to know.
hell_oh_world wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:32 am actually, you can do this. just pass the `image` parameter...
quoting...
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html#Movie
An image that is displayed when play has been given, but the file it refers to does not exist. (For example, this can be used to create a slimmed-down mobile version that does not use movie sprites.) Users can also choose to fall back to this image as a preference if video is too taxing for their system. The image will also be used if the video plays, and then the movie ends.
so...

image the_movie = Movie(play="movie_name.webm", image="end_frame.png")
This is cool and I didn't know it was possible :) I just added a loop=False so it actually shows the end frame:

image chapter1 = Movie(play="movies/chapter1.webm", image="movies/chapter1end.png", loop=False)
However, this method doesn't work with my ATL transform (zoom fade), but it will with a standard dissolve.