Licensing/uploading a Ren'Py game on GitHub and itch.io [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kafkaontheshore

Licensing/uploading a Ren'Py game on GitHub and itch.io [Solved]

#1 Post by kafkaontheshore »

Hello there,

I am really unsure/know absolutely nothing about this topic:

I want to upload a game to itch.io and GitHub. I would like to make it Open Source. In that case if changes are made and then uploaded, do they have to refer to the original? Also we would not like it if it would be used for commercial use or that the pictures just get used by others (I did not made them, I am okay if other people use my code though), a changed version would be probably okay.
I do not want to get anything wrong :p And do I have to somehow specify that I used Ren'Py in anyway?
Or did Ren'Py provided everything to begin with?

Thank you for your time!
Last edited by kafkaontheshore on Sat May 06, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felix
Regular
Completed: Before the Faire
Organization: No Time To Play
Tumblr: no-time-to-play
Github: notimetoplay
itch: notimetoplay

Re: Licensing/uploading a Ren'Py game on GitHub and itch.io

#2 Post by felix »

All open source licenses allow commercial reuse, by definition, as long as the other license terms are followed. Most open source licenses require attribution, but not all. You're probably thinking a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license, that you can apply to your assets; Ren'Py itself is under the MIT License (but see here for details), so in principle you need to state somewhere that you're using it. However a copy of its own license file is included in every game archive, so that's taken care of for you.

Either way, you'd still need to choose a separate license for your own game code. Lately I prefer the Artistic License 2.0 for that, because in name and spirit it's very well suited for works that are both code and art at the same time, such as games.

kafkaontheshore

Re: Licensing/uploading a Ren'Py game on GitHub and itch.io

#3 Post by kafkaontheshore »

That looks good, I will look into it!
Thank you :)