[Successfully Bypassed] Atom/Java errors after Ren'Py update

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
HEXdidnt
Regular
Projects: A Night at the Office, Embracing Christmas, The Masquerade Benefit
Deviantart: HEXdidnt

[Successfully Bypassed] Atom/Java errors after Ren'Py update

#1 Post by HEXdidnt »

I updated to the most recent version of Ren'Py yesterday - 7.4.9.2142 - and was able to carry on working immediately... However, today, when I try to edit an .rpy file or open Atom idependently, I get this error pop-up:
Atom Error.png
Figured I might need to update Atom as well, so I tried deleting the existing copy so I could replace it, but kept getting warnings that something within the Atom folder was "in use by another application".

Downloaded the latest version anyway, unzipped it and copied it into the Ren'Py folder over the top of the existing version. It copied over OK, no errors, but I still get the same JavaScript error window popping up.

There is an installable version of Atom, so I gave that a go... and that works, but just won't connect to Ren'Py - which still wants to use the now-nonfunctional version within its own program folder.

Anyone else experienced this? Should I try nuking both Ren'Py and Atom, and try a fresh installation of both?
Last edited by HEXdidnt on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
As ever, dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind...

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Atom/Java errors after Ren'Py update

#2 Post by rayminator »

download atom standalone this will fix this problem

HEXdidnt
Regular

Re: Atom/Java errors after Ren'Py update

#3 Post by HEXdidnt »

That's exactly what I've done for the time being. Weirdly, not only does Ren'Py not want to acknowledge it with the Editor set to 'Atom', but it also won't use it with 'System Editor' selected and .rpy files assigned to the standalone version.

Makes it a bit slower to work with, but at least Atom remembers which folder it was in last time it was used...

HEXdidnt
Regular

Re: [Successfully Bypassed] Atom/Java errors after Ren'Py update

#4 Post by HEXdidnt »

OK, so I finally managed to get the Atom folder within my Ren'Py folder deleted. At this point, the standalone version of Ren'Py suddenly started acting like a fresh installation - no record of the folder(s) I'd been working with previously, and .rpy files had to be manually assigned to it again. However, with the Text Editor option set to 'System Editor' now, it recognises and uses Standalone Ren'Py, where it wouldn't before.

Bit of a strange one, but got there in the end.