Create volume control for self-voicing?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jack_shandy

Create volume control for self-voicing?

#1 Post by Jack_shandy »

Hi everyone,

I've had some feedback that the Self-Voicing option in my game is too loud and there's no way to change the volume. So, I want to add a volume bar to the preferences menu that allows players to change the volume of the self-voicing.

I know how to create a bar to adjust the music volume:

bar value Preference("music volume")

But how do I do this for self-voicing? I found this code here:

bar value Preference("self voicing volume drop")

But it doesn't seem to do anything. The self voicing volume doesn't change when I move the bar.

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Create volume control for self-voicing?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Jack_shandy wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:44 pm Hi everyone,

I've had some feedback that the Self-Voicing option in my game is too loud and there's no way to change the volume. So, I want to add a volume bar to the preferences menu that allows players to change the volume of the self-voicing.

I know how to create a bar to adjust the music volume:

bar value Preference("music volume")

But how do I do this for self-voicing? I found this code here:

bar value Preference("self voicing volume drop")

But it doesn't seem to do anything. The self voicing volume doesn't change when I move the bar.

It seems like "self voicing volume drop" is intended to do the opposite of what you want. It seems like it is intended to lower the volume of all other sounds when self-voicing sound is playing, probably to make the self voicing sound more easy to hear. It is kind of logical that there could be a demand for that if the self-voicing primarily is an aid for people having trouble reading text, maybe due to bad eyesight.

Since self-voicing is using systems outside renpy itself (that's at least how I understand it to work) there might be problems in controlling the output from such systems from within renpy.

One possible work-around for your problem could maybe be to make your sound files with a louder sound.

Sorry I don't have anything more practical or insightful to offer.

FulminisIctus
Regular
Projects: Mycorrhiza, LoveSick Darlings, Human Reignition Project, Episicava, Caladria Chronicles, Ah My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell, Cautionary Tale, Visual Novel Audio Pack Vol 1 and Vol 2

#3 Post by FulminisIctus »

Have you already checked if the self voicing volume is bound to the "voice" channel?
I'm a composer and sound designer! You can find more info about my services - and if I'm free to take on a job at the moment - by viewing my commission doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0Z ... sp=sharing)!

Jack_shandy

#4 Post by Jack_shandy »

Have you already checked if the self voicing volume is bound to the "voice" channel?
Thanks for the suggestion, I gave it a try and the self-voice does not seem to be connected to the voice channel. The following code:

bar value Preference("voice volume")

- does nothing to effect the volume of the self-voicing.

Thanks again for your help both of you, it seems this is something I won't be able to change.