[FREE/PAID] Proofreading, Editing, English (Stylistic) Translation

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
LittleLemon
Projects: Wet Sand

[FREE/PAID] Proofreading, Editing, English (Stylistic) Translation

#1 Post by LittleLemon »

Introduction

Hello! You can call me Lemon :D
I am a hobby writer who has been playing visual novels for over ten years and writing for even longer. I may not have professional experience when it comes to writing but creative writing has always been a passion of mine and I have taken many elective courses (and did pretty well, if I do say so myself lol) on the topic over the years. I have also been under a mentorship of sorts with someone who is an IPED Accredited Editor in training for a while now and continue to work closely with her. I would like to offer my skills and services to help you complete your upcoming visual novels!

Services I Offer

- Proofreading: I will read your final draft line by line and make sure that it is clear of any spelling mistakes, typos or errors.

- Editing: I will go over your drafts and leave editing suggestions and/or comments. Aside from spellcheck and grammar, I will also leave editing suggestions and/or comments on character voice, pacing, phrasing, inconsistencies/plot holes, redundancy and so on. Of course, if there is anything specific you wish for me to focus on (or steer clear from), feel free to discuss with me.

- Stylistic Translation: Have you ever tried to explain a joke or phrase to someone in a different language and it falls flat? That's what this is for! I will go over your translated script and leave suggestions and/or comments on how to make it more comprehensible to a native English speaking audience.

All of this will be done in English. US English is preferred but British English is possible.

Please send me your script in Google Doc format if possible.

Pricing

- Proofreading: 0.01 USD per word of the original script

- Editing: 0.03 USD per word of the original script (may vary depending on certain factors such as complexity, time before deadline, amount of research required, etc - open to discussion)

- Stylistic Translation: 0.02 USD per word of the original script

I will proofread/edit your first 500 words for free to give you an idea of my work as well as let you decide if you wish to commission me. No payment for those 500 words are required in the future.

Rates can be negotiated. Don't hesitate to ask!

If your project is noncommercial, I am willing to work for free if I find interest in it.

Trade

Don't have the funds? That's alright! I am willing to work in exchange for these services:
- BG Art
- Music
- Video Editing
- Programming

Payment plans are open to discussion, but they must be fulfilled. Payment must be in USD.

Terms of Service

For Free

- It's an Otome/romance visual novel (any sub genre is fine)
- No deadlines and no pressure. Feel free to give me a timeframe; I will do my best to make it happen, but it cannot be set in stone or on short notice.
- You cannot claim my work as yours. You are free to accept, deny, or edit my suggestions/edits.
- You cannot use my work in any future projects without permission.
- Unless discussed beforehand, I am allowed to use any work that I produced as future samples.
- Proper credit.
- No discrimination or disrespect.
- Active communication (Discord is preferred).
- Noncommercial!

For Commission

- No short notice deadlines. Commission me at least a month in advance to your intended publishing date.
- You cannot claim my work as yours. You are free to accept, deny, or edit my suggestions/edits.
- You cannot use my work in any future projects without permission.
- Unless discussed beforehand, I am allowed to use any work that I produced as future samples.
- Proper credit.
- No discrimination or disrespect.
- Active communication (Discord is preferred).
- Have payment ready before you commission.
- After the 500 word trial, you must pay the first half of the commission upfront (open to discussion).
- Even if you decide to drop your project or terminate the commission, I expect compensation for the work I did do up to that moment as well as proper credit for any work you will use.
- Paypal/Wise/Venmo only.

I reserve the right to reject any commission offer as I see fit.

I have the right to decline work/terminate the commission (paid or unpaid) should you disrespect me or my terms. If I don't receive any contact from you within 2 weeks (without prior notice), I will assume your project as on hiatus and categorize your commission as low priority. If I don't receive any contact from you within 3 months (without prior notice) I will assume your project as dropped and put your commission on hold.

If you find my work to be unsatisfactory, I will redo it at no extra cost.

I am willing to do NSFW work.

Genres I Prefer

- Romance
- Fantasy
- Historical
- Adventure

Method of Communication (request through PM)

- Discord (preferred)
- Gmail
- Google Chat

Months Unavailable

As a full time uni-student, there are some times in the year I am unable to work to focus on exams :( . Please make sure to request for my services out of these months!:

- May - June
- October - November

(If you really, really need to request during these times, however, extra costs will apply.)

How to Request My Services

Please send me a PM along with the service(s) you require along with any relevant information you can give me about your project and estimated workload.

Current Work:

- Wet Sand by Likho Games (Proofreading/Stylistic Translation)
- [REDACTED PROJECT] (Writer/Editor)

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask! I can't wait to meet you and participate in your interesting projects!
Last edited by LittleLemon on Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

BrotherKerubim

Re: [FREE/PAID] Proofreading, Editing, Stylistic Translation

#2 Post by BrotherKerubim »

Hello. I'm currently developing a visual novel called Wet Sand. This is a novel/quest in the fantasy/adventure genre about pirates with eroge elements.

The original development language for us is Russian, and we translated into English on our own. Unfortunately, our level of English is far from the level of native speakers, and this created a huge problem in the overall level of quality of the game. So we saw this post and reached out to LittleLemon.

We made a document in Google Sheets, into which we uploaded all the text that is currently in the game (with an indication of the place in the code and the one who says the phrase). We also communicate quite closely with LittleLemon during the translation process, so there is no fear that we have a different understanding of the context and plot.

She started working the same day and we were impressed with how quickly and efficiently she made our text better. In addition to correcting simple typos, there are many stylistic improvements in the text. Obviously, she is perfectly familiar with literary English.

In addition, she uses American English and British English and can diversify the character with some cool speech features (in our case, she added a pirate accent for several characters).

I recommend using her services, it is a pleasure to work with her!