only an Ideal so far

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Keobas
Projects: Project CEIEC

only an Ideal so far

#1 Post by Keobas »

I have very little knowledge of visual novel games and its community but I have story I'll like to be told in a visual novel. It's the system and how I think my work ethics can benefit from it.

Here's what I notice that I like.

*Visual novel is more less what it implies, A visual perceptive of a novel written story. (hence my current story I'm writing is in a novel format this make it convenient transferring material.)

* Visual novel project can be done in projects teams or stand alone person on a flexible schedule according to the that team or person.

Well like I said I have little knowledge but its this small things that makes me interested in having my story done in a VN form.

what I'll like to know is am I just being idealistic in thinking I can do a VN with out proper understanding of how fans of VN community works? ( though I have intentions of researching this regardless, but I like to hear other inputs and opinions. Oh does this classify as being an attention hog? )

I feel my story I'm writing can benefit from VN community as starting point into media entertainment. ( in respect to get my series acquainted at least )

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: only an Ideal so far

#2 Post by monele »

Hello! Heed some subversive advice :)

I think it would be interesting if you went and made a VN the way you think it works, or the way you want it to work. Most people here know the whole thing by heart and, I think, might end up stuck in preconceived rules. Maybe some "outsider" could bring something new to the table ^^
Although it might be better if you tried this on maybe another story first, as not to spoil your "true" story if things go wrong.

But this is mostly a selfish suggestion on my part, so feel free to actually try other VNs, see how it all works and be sure to have an actual VN on your hands.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by N0UGHTS »

...Sorry, but I don't really understand your message... Maybe it's my lack of empathy and social skills, though... Exactly what you're trying to say? Are you asking if it's a good idea to make an ADV/VN (And I'm using the Japanese definitions here— ADVs have choices and little text boxes, VNs have text covering the whole screen and have no choices) without knowing much about the games and the community?

Well, anyway, if you're asking whether you should make a game, I say, go for it! It's not like we go out lynching hobbyists just because they're new. Oh, and welcome to the community. I love seeing green ears and watching them turn ripe... That means I like watching people develop, for those of you who aren't aware of the "green ears" phrase... It doesn't seem like anyone is, nowadays. (;-_-)
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

Keobas

#4 Post by Keobas »

N0UGHTS wrote:...Sorry, but I don't really understand your message... Maybe it's my lack of empathy and social skills, though... Exactly what you're trying to say? Are you asking if it's a good idea to make an ADV/VN (And I'm using the Japanese definitions here— ADVs have choices and little text boxes, VNs have text covering the whole screen and have no choices) without knowing much about the games and the community?
[/size]
Ah my apologize. I do have the tendency to do that.
Well what I mean is being oblivious to Visual novels and the community that it appeals to. Am I being idealistic blind thinking I can blend my work and ideals to such an obscure community? Technically I'm not a true fan of Visual novels hence I never dedicated my self to play one.
monele wrote:Hello! Heed some subversive advice :)

I think it would be interesting if you went and made a VN the way you think it works, or the way you want it to work. Most people here know the whole thing by heart and, I think, might end up stuck in preconceived rules. Maybe some "outsider" could bring something new to the table ^^
Although it might be better if you tried this on maybe another story first, as not to spoil your "true" story if things go wrong.

But this is mostly a selfish suggestion on my part, so feel free to actually try other VNs, see how it all works and be sure to have an actual VN on your hands.
Those are some wise words indeed. Unfortunately I'm too stubborn to work on another project since few fans (mainly friends and few relatives) are eager for me to release some entry including my self.

Another reason why I like to stick to my currently story it to see its reaction. Right now I have a serious writers block and it’s due to me keep rewriting scripts and plots. I want some field test I guess to see some reaction. Even if the responses aren’t to my licking I don t planned to major over haul of my story till I get few criticism.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by N0UGHTS »

(*A*) :chokes: Y-you've, never played, a single... (o_e) ... ...LYNCH! LYNCH! LYNCH!

Well, even if you haven't played one before —Must lynch...—, no one's stopping you from developing one. And, it's not like any of us is going to rebuke you for making one, or making something different. Though I say we lynch him for not playing one... In fact, I think most of us here would welcome something different as a pleasant refreshment.

I suggest you should get Ever 17: The Out of Infinity before we lynch you.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart

Regular
Projects: Ren'Py Russian distributive

#6 Post by 000 »

Keobas wrote:Ah my apologize. I do have the tendency to do that.
Well what I mean is being oblivious to Visual novels and the community that it appeals to. Am I being idealistic blind thinking I can blend my work and ideals to such an obscure community? Technically I'm not a true fan of Visual novels hence I never dedicated my self to play one.
Well, if anything, people here ARE very open and welcoming to any newbie that decided to expand an O?LVN number. So, worry not, just do it as you see it fit and show the results.
N0UGHTS wrote:Are you asking if it's a good idea to make an ADV/VN (And I'm using the Japanese definitions here— ADVs have choices and little text boxes, VNs have text covering the whole screen and have no choices)
Ugh... Shouldn't it be
Are you asking if it's a good idea to make an ADV/NVL (And I'm using the Japanese definitions here— ADVs have choices and little text boxes, NVLs have text covering the whole screen and have no choices)
?
<feels sowwy for his Engrish>

Keobas

#7 Post by Keobas »

N0UGHTS wrote:...Sorry, but I don't really understand your message... Maybe it's my lack of empathy and social skills, though... Exactly what you're trying to say? Are you asking if it's a good idea to make an ADV/VN (And I'm using the Japanese definitions here— ADVs have choices and little text boxes, VNs have text covering the whole screen and have no choices) without knowing much about the games and the community?
My desire is to make a Visual Novel with out choices, just plain script with visual and sound effects.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

You are seeking to create a kinetic novel, which is a form of VN storytelling that has no choices, and relies on words, music and effects to deliver the cheapest cinematic experience[tm].

I too, started out wanting to make a KN, but then the annoying traits of gameplay and interactivity got in the way. Many movies nowadays need to have a game counterpart since many feel that a lack of interactive component in many franchises is a waste. It depends on the franchise, of course. Some stories are better off being flat-out narrated and told as-is.

Keobas

#9 Post by Keobas »

DaFool wrote:You are seeking to create a kinetic novel, which is a form of VN storytelling that has no choices, and relies on words, music and effects to deliver the cheapest cinematic experience[tm].

I too, started out wanting to make a KN, but then the annoying traits of gameplay and interactivity got in the way. Many movies nowadays need to have a game counterpart since many feel that a lack of interactive component in many franchises is a waste. It depends on the franchise, of course. Some stories are better off being flat-out narrated and told as-is.
My work could suffer from this, since my story is sci-fi action. Well my friend keep telling me to make a Mugen. It may be a counter part but not for a while any way.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by N0UGHTS »

Pah, fine. I'll use the slightly more accurate Western terminology instead of the Japanese terminology. Conformist community...

If you want both action gameplay and a decent narrative in your game, just use Ren'Py and Pygame together. It may be too tough for a starting project, so I suggest you just go with a nice, cozy little KN. It's your choice though, not mine.
World Community Grid

Keobas

#11 Post by Keobas »

N0UGHTS wrote:Pah, fine. I'll use the slightly more accurate Western terminology instead of the Japanese terminology. Conformist community...

If you want both action gameplay and a decent narrative in your game, just use Ren'Py and Pygame together. It may be too tough for a starting project, so I suggest you just go with a nice, cozy little KN. It's your choice though, not mine.
Yeah I'll consider that.

Well I don't even have a solid script for my story. I'm currently doing a major revision of my story first chapter. I was stupid to make it 80 something pages long, too much detail :(.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by monele »

I agree, trying to add a pygame part for a first attempt sounds like overkill ^^;.

If you're struggling with your source material, it might be good to first take care of this and then come back for the Ren'Py conversion. Or go with a shorter story if you feel you're struggling too much ^^;

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by gekiganwing »

It's certainly not bad to approach the concept of a visual novel without all the "baggage" from visual novels currently available in English. If you take your rough idea and find a way to fit it into Ren'py, then you might create something unprecedented.

MUGEN is apparently well suited to fighting and other action games. I really doubt it's compatible with the Ren'py system... Regardless, it's up to you, Keobas, to decide which system is right for your game/story. It also depends on what level of proramming experience you have.

Regular
Projects: Ren'Py Russian distributive

#14 Post by 000 »

N0UGHTS wrote:Pah, fine. I'll use the slightly more accurate Western terminology instead of the Japanese terminology. Conformist community...
Waitwaitwait. I always was under impression what Japanese themselves abbreviate "visual novels with textbox expanden over majority of screen and being able to contain several lines at once" into NVL... Can anyone clear this to me?

And deepest apologises for going offtopic.
<feels sowwy for his Engrish>

Jake
Support Hero

#15 Post by Jake »

000 wrote:
N0UGHTS wrote:Conformist community...
Waitwaitwait. I always was under impression what Japanese themselves...
Well, I have no idea what the Japanese call it all. But that's what this community's always called it, and frankly - well, conformism makes a lot of sense when you're talking about what to call things. It makes sure that we all know what each other are talking about rather than having to make random guesses that when I say "QQT" I actually mean the same thing as PyTom means when he says "UFR" and the Japanese mean when they say "NVL", or whatever.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found