My expectations on the limits of the Engine changed

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
YumaDazai
Regular
Projects: PD9

My expectations on the limits of the Engine changed

#1 Post by YumaDazai »

I was just looking around different Visual Novels built in Renpy, just to see how limited or how extreme I could go with some features. I found an article (Here) in which it was talking about Making an RPG in Renpy. I already knew that you could add features like this to Renpy, having made a battle system myself through using menus and if else statements, but assumed it would be very bare-bone like the one I made and couldn't be anything more than that, even using screen language. That was until I saw Sunrider, which uses turn-based battle tactics with a grid system (Similar to that of Fire Emblem) (Can be seen here). I thought this was so cool, and really inspired me to really think outside the box with how I could make my own battle system. Now, I am assuming that they are using a little more than the engine right out of the box, probably brought in some pygame or something (I'm not exactly sure), and it was made by a team and not a solo dev like myself, but it still shows that the engine is a lot more powerful than at first glance. I know this is kind of rambly, but I thought it was cool and thought I would share lol.
Programmer that will work paid and or for free! Message me on discord for more info at: Yuma#8158

SONTSE
Regular
Completed: 11 VN's so far
Discord: jkx0282_10798

Re: My expectations on the limits of the Engine changed

#2 Post by SONTSE »

In RenPy, there are uncut Python capabilities that allow tasks to be redirected to any other tool, turning RenPy into an intermediary, which practically means that you can do absolutely anything in RenPy. I've seen an example where an FPS was launched on RenPy. As for 2D RPGs or turn-based strategies, not only is this possible without redirection, but it's also done without using sophisticated tools like CDD, limiting oneself to standard Screens and ATL

iichan_lolbot
Veteran
Projects: Everlasting Summer; The Herbalist; iiCharacter; iiOS

#3 Post by iichan_lolbot »

> I was just looking around different Visual Novels built in Renpy, just to see how limited or how extreme I could go with some features.

You might be interested in viewtopic.php?t=32257
This engine is truely limitless, since you can add anything with Python and Python has all he batteries and libraries.

ajay1203

#4 Post by ajay1203 »

Renpy is really versatile, and it's amazing to see the kind of complex systems like Sunrider's battle tactics that people can create with it. It must be really exciting to think about how you could push the boundaries for your own projects. It's always inspiring to see what others have done and how it can spark new ideas for our own work.