[Solved]Transition text box and casting shadows on the characters..

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Princesky

[Solved]Transition text box and casting shadows on the characters..

#1 Post by Princesky »

Hello, i've been tinkering with ren'py for the past few days.

I've had little to no issue working with the easy part of the engine, but i wanted to try and replicate the dialogue effect found on "Ruined King", there is a video for context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyeDhcgIVoA&t=239s

I've been stuck on it for two days now, and well i'm really stumped, from what i can understand i'd need to make it so the transition of the text box only occur when another character speaks, a small bouncy effect everytime the text box appear and also i'd have to darken the sprite of the character who is not speaking and maybe zoom him out a little bit..

In theory this doesn't sound super hard but as is said i deleted my code again and again.

All of that to replicate the effect.. So how would i go about doing this please? If anyone maybe already did something similar or can help.

Edit: Thanks a lot for the help, i finally managed to make it work!
Last edited by Princesky on Thu May 23, 2024 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffster
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Transition text box and casting shadows on the characters..

#2 Post by jeffster »

Princesky wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:39 pm Hello, i've been tinkering with ren'py for the past few days.

I've had little to no issue working with the easy part of the engine, but i wanted to try and replicate the dialogue effect found on "Ruined King", there is a video for context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyeDhcgIVoA&t=239s

I've been stuck on it for two days now, and well i'm really stumped, from what i can understand i'd need to make it so the transition of the text box only occur when another character speaks, a small bouncy effect everytime the text box appear and also i'd have to darken the sprite of the character who is not speaking and maybe zoom him out a little bit..

In theory this doesn't sound super hard but as is said i deleted my code again and again.

All of that to replicate the effect.. So how would i go about doing this please? If anyone maybe already did something similar or can help.
1. A nice animated effect of highlighting a speaking character can be achieved with BGQueue
https://patreon.renpy.org/python-tricks-2.html#bgqueue

(It could be probably modified to add zooming or darkening effect etc).

2. A small bouncy effect every time the text box appear is easy to do with transition:
viewtopic.php?p=567128#p567128

(Of course you can make the effect more complex than in that example).

3. Textboxes on the right or on the left could be achieved e.g. by creating 2 say screens (left & right) or by adding a parameter to a customized "say" screen. Then in the script you would have to write:

Code: Select all

y "Is that all that's left?"    # The text box on the left
    i "I was right, Yasuo!" (2)  # The text box on the right
Where the 1st line has parameter 1 (the default, meaning textbox on the left side). The 2nd line has parameter 2 meaning the textbox on the right side.

(I didn't test it but I hope we can use a positional parameter here, for brevity; not only keyword parameters).

Likewise, highlighting the speaking character could be done in the customized say screen, depending on the parameter.

Similarly, you could define different characters like

yl = Yasuo speaking from the left
yr = Yasuo speaking from the right

They could be defined as having default parameters for textbox on the left or on the right.

Then the script above could look like

yl "Is that all that's left?"    # Yasuo speaking on the left
    ir "I was right, Yasuo!"        # Illaoi speaking on the right
If the problem is solved, please edit the original post and add [SOLVED] to the title. 8)

jeffster
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Transition text box and casting shadows on the characters..

#3 Post by jeffster »

Princesky wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:39 pm casting shadows on the characters
PS. An easy way to cast shadows on a half of the screen is to overlay the screen with a semi-transparent gradient image. Something like:

screen say(who, what, side=1):
    style_prefix "say"

if side == 1:
        add "shadow_right.png" xfill True yfill True
    elif side == 2:
        add "shadow_left.png" xfill True yfill True

window:
        id "window"
        at textbox_transition
gradient1.png
gradient1.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 161 times
If the problem is solved, please edit the original post and add [SOLVED] to the title. 8)