Ren'Py 6.9.0 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.9.0 Pre-Released

#46 Post by PyTom »

The new rendering code had some framerate issues --- of course, not when I was first testing it. I'm uploading 6.9.0d, which is much faster in most cases.

I've also upped the framerate cap to 100fps. 60 was proving to be a problem, as it could synchronize with the monitor's vertical refresh, which could lead to tearing remaining in the same place all the time, and hence looking bad. 100fps doesn't have that problem so much.

I've reverted my windows build chain and rebuilt the windows dependencies, which hopefully will fix the vista problems.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#47 Post by Watercolorheart »

I'm really starting to hate all the updates now ... I've had no problem updating Always Darkest Before Dawn to each new version, but now I'm getting error after error along the lines of "variable is undefined" ... it's no problem in a smaller oneshot NaNoReno game, but how do I handle that in a massive multi-path game where player may not have encountered something and the variable was empty but still checked for?

I'm also having difficulty using ==True/==False for menu options, and it worked the versions before 6.8, I believe.

Code: Select all

D:\Ren'Py\Always Darkest Before Dawn\renpy-6.8.1\Always Darkest/game/script.rpy:6611 'nave !== True' could not be compiled as a python expression, in the if clause of a menuitem.

D:\Ren'Py\Always Darkest Before Dawn\renpy-6.8.1\Always Darkest/game/script.rpy:6611 'narthex !== True' could not be compiled as a python expression, in the if clause of a menuitem.

I'm not even the same person anymore

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#48 Post by Wintermoon »

I don't think '!==' was ever valid syntax. '==' means "equal", '!=' means "not equal".

Also, you should never compare a boolean for equality. Instead of "x != True" or "x == False", write "not x". Instead of "x == True" or "x != False", write "x".

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#49 Post by jack_norton »

I downloaded the latest build and now works without problems even on my Vista pc. The transform works too, very nice! with some python coding is possible to do even arcade games within renpy now ;)
The movements seems much smoother now. If I wasn't so close to a release I might be tempted to try it directly on my new game.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Jake
Support Hero

#50 Post by Jake »

Wintermoon wrote:Also, you should never compare a boolean for equality. Instead of "x != True" or "x == False", write "not x". Instead of "x == True" or "x != False", write "x".
Actually, comparing a boolean for equality is standard practice in several places, because it's easier to understand at a glance. There's certainly nothing wrong with it!

(Although I'd expect "nave == False" rather than "nave != True", certainly...)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#51 Post by Counter Arts »

Yes! It's working!

So like did you get it to autodetect or something?

In anycase... for the ui.autobar(), for greater smoothness the range,old value and however the new value needs to be multiplied by like 60 or so.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#52 Post by PyTom »

jack_norton wrote:If I wasn't so close to a release I might be tempted to try it directly on my new game.
I think sticking with 6.8.1 (with the patches on the website) is fine. Unlike most releases, I can't really think of any bug fixes in 6.9.0. That might be part of why 6.9.0 took so long... it's very hard to go through a week-long release campaign when there's nothing wrong with the previous version.
Counter Arts wrote:So like did you get it to autodetect or something?
Not in any meaningful sense. The main thing I did was to tweak the drawing code so that Ren'Py draws as little as possible as fast as possible. This was made possible by some test code that I wrote to directly measure the framerate, per delta's nudging. I had been previously measuring the redraw time, which wasn't right. I don't want to release the code itself because the output is hard to interpret... for example, it can say that the framerate is 1000+ fps, which is nonsense caused by the scene graph not changing enough to warrant a screen redraw.

6.9.0d is a big change from 6.9.0c, on the order of 300 new/changed lines of code.
Counter Arts wrote:In anycase... for the ui.autobar(), for greater smoothness the range,old value and however the new value needs to be multiplied by like 60 or so.
Or by 1.0. I'll probably make this change in e, and release that as final if nothing else goes wrong.

Thanks again to everyone who's been testing this release. Your work helps ensure the technical quality of future Ren'Py games.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#53 Post by PyTom »

I just added renpy.partial to 6.9.0. This is just exposing existing functionality, rather than anything new, so I feel pretty secure adding it so late in the release process.

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#54 Post by Jo'ogn »

So far I no problems migrating my project to 6.9.0.d on M$ XP sp3

Subpixel does improve very slow movements, however very small displayables (a bunch of pixels) become blurred.

Sound panning works. However the "delay" only works from center to one side. i.e. the delay should be able to pan from -1 to 1, or vice versa. I tried 'stacking' set_pan, but only the last one pans from 'center out'.

Code: Select all

play sound "lalala.ogg"
renpy.sound.set_pan(-1,0, channel=0) # is 'ignored' (likely overwritten by the following)
renpy.sound.set_pan( 1,2, channel=0)
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#55 Post by PyTom »

Jo'ogn wrote:Subpixel does improve very slow movements, however very small displayables (a bunch of pixels) become blurred.
This is normal, as the way subpixel drawing works is by spreading a single pixel out over four adjacent pixels.
Sound panning works. However the "delay" only works from center to one side. i.e. the delay should be able to pan from -1 to 1, or vice versa. I tried 'stacking' set_pan, but only the last one pans from 'center out'.
I just fixed this.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

Re: Ren'Py 6.9.0 Released

#56 Post by PyTom »

I've released 6.9.0e with two very low risk fixes, and am officially dubbing it 6.9.0.

Enjoy, and thanks to everyone for the thorough testing this release received. I can say, without a doubt, that this is a far better release due to everyone's efforts.

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#57 Post by Jo'ogn »

With the lastest Version. I get a sort of random crash from "Visual C++ Runtime". It might be related to a move(repeat=True).
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#58 Post by PyTom »

Is this 6.9.0? And is this with a subpixel move? And can you isolate it into a test script?

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#59 Post by Jo'ogn »

PyTom wrote:Is this 6.9.0? And is this with a subpixel move? And can you isolate it into a test script?
Yes, it says 6.9.0d, but should be your 'e' release.
Last edited by Jo'ogn on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Preludian
Regular

#60 Post by Preludian »

confirmed with 6.9.0.e here too. Setting suxpixel to False works though, no crash.