Photo Distorting?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Fang-tan
Regular

Photo Distorting?

#1 Post by Fang-tan »

I'm sorry if this isn't the proper place to post this, it seemed better considering it was just a passing curiosity about art. I was wondering if it were possible with GIMP (as that is the only thing I have on hand) to create image... distortions? It's hard to explain. I'll try to find an example.

Example:
Image Image Image

So it possible to create those sort of effects with GIMP? I don't mean exactly like that, it's all about experimenting, right? I've just always thought that still was cool (Umineko isn't entirely responsible for that!!) so I want to try it myself.

Thank you in advance~
"I've heard that villains who go soft and then crazy are pretty popular these days, right?
Even sooo, I've studied a lot of manga, anime and galge that have been popular, you seeee?" - Beatrice, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Loli Salad~ Music, Doujin, Touhou, Umineko and Anime
(previously I was Hashihime~)

Verity
Regular
Projects: Wanderer

Re: Photo Distorting?

#2 Post by Verity »

If you look under the filters menu in GIMP, there's a lot of different effects you can apply to photographs to get the sort of look you're talking about. Filters > Blur > Selective Gaussian Blur will get you something that looks like the second image, there, and for something like the third image I'd suggest looking in the Filters > Artistic folder.

Fang-tan
Regular

#3 Post by Fang-tan »

Thanks! I'm not used to using GIMP very much but I know what I should do now. I think this will looked really good, so thanks!
"I've heard that villains who go soft and then crazy are pretty popular these days, right?
Even sooo, I've studied a lot of manga, anime and galge that have been popular, you seeee?" - Beatrice, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Loli Salad~ Music, Doujin, Touhou, Umineko and Anime
(previously I was Hashihime~)

HAXLION
Regular
Projects: "Everything"

#4 Post by HAXLION »

Just to add my two cents (unwanted or not) I've found that in GIMP using "oilify" and then "blur" produce something quite similar to the backgrounds from dojin VN games.

Not every game does have a similar blur, of course.