err..I have a silly question..

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Tamichan

err..I have a silly question..

#1 Post by Tamichan »

Hi!
err..as you can see I'm new,^_^ <and ahem..excuse my bad english>

Well, my question is very very stupid-- I know. I downloaded Ren'Py 5.0.1, but since I'm a bit stupid I can't seem to figure out where to click so that the program would open/ or to install it.
There is the demo...files..etc..but I can't find the right icon. I don't know where to click to open the program/ install the program.

I've tried so hard but I can't find it.

I wish to try some things with Ren'Py as I like these things.

Please..if anyone could help? :cry:
Thank you in advance.

Icekiss
Regular

#2 Post by Icekiss »

First: You did unzip the files into a folder, right? If you are just navigating them within the zip-file, you won't be able to run the exe files.

run_game.exe starts the demo game (where Eileen explains what Ren'Py is, and what it can do).
run_dse.exe starts a small dating simulation emulation.

If clicking on those icons doesn't seem to do anything, then open a dos window in your renpy folder, enter 'run_game.exe' or 'run_dse.exe' respectively (and press the ENTER key), and look what messages are printed.

If you got the demo game to run, you can look into the file game/script.rpy, and see which commands make the game engine do what. And you can edit it, and play with it yourself. :D
doc/reference.html contains a systematic explanation of the language used.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums, and good luck with Ren'Py! :D
(And feel free to ask questions...)
If you are a debian linux user, take a look at my program: http://deb-install.sourceforge.net/

#3 Post by Guest »

Icekiss wrote:First: You did unzip the files into a folder, right? If you are just navigating them within the zip-file, you won't be able to run the exe files.

run_game.exe starts the demo game (where Eileen explains what Ren'Py is, and what it can do).
run_dse.exe starts a small dating simulation emulation.

If clicking on those icons doesn't seem to do anything, then open a dos window in your renpy folder, enter 'run_game.exe' or 'run_dse.exe' respectively (and press the ENTER key), and look what messages are printed.

If you got the demo game to run, you can look into the file game/script.rpy, and see which commands make the game engine do what. And you can edit it, and play with it yourself. :D
doc/reference.html contains a systematic explanation of the language used.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums, and good luck with Ren'Py! :D
(And feel free to ask questions...)
wow..that explains a lot!! :D Thank you sooo much!!! :!:

I have another question.. I can't understand how to start conversations. I mean, what do I have to write in the script to start conversations? It's the only thing that's stopping me from starting a game. :cry:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Anonymous wrote:I have another question.. I can't understand how to start conversations. I mean, what do I have to write in the script to start conversations? It's the only thing that's stopping me from starting a game. :cry:
Okay, first of all, if you want a character to say something, you will need to declare that character in the init block. So if I want to add a "pytom" character to the demo game, I could write (the first line is taken right from the demo game):

Code: Select all

$ e = Character('Eileen', color=(200, 255, 200, 255))
    $ pytom = Character('PyTom')
Once you do this, you can write a line of conversation by putting the character's name followed by a quoted string on the line. If you leave out the character's name, the special narrator character is used instead.

Code: Select all

pytom "Hey."

e "Well, look who's here!"

e "It's the author of this text. What are you, some sort of crazy
    self-insert fanfic author or something."

pytom "Um... well..."

e "Those are the worst!"

e "Well, actually the worst are people who write erotic versions of 
    Star Trek where all the characters are furries, like Kirk is an ocelot
    or something, and they put a furry version of themselves as the 
    star of the story."

e "But that's pretty bad."

"I can only look on in disbelief."
You can put this anywhere you want in the script after the scene statement following the 'label start:' line.

--
The whole "Kirk is an ocelot" thing comes from here.