Summer Story (iOS game from Square Enix)

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Summer Story (iOS game from Square Enix)

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

This was mentioned on page two of the "...on other consoles" thread. But I figure that Summer Story might deserve its own discussion thread. So here you go...

Summer Story is described by Square Enix as "...an English educational app designed for native Japanese speakers learning English." (source: http://itunes.apple.com/app/id432292560?mt=8# ) It will work with any iOS device with a built-in microphone, or iOS devices which are compatible with external microphones.

This game appears to be edutainment, but it's presented as a harem visual novel with moe characters. The rating on iTunes is 4+ (and keep in mind that iTunes doesn't sell adult products), so don't expect any objectionable content.

Anime News Network sums up the plot as follows: "In the game, the player interacts — entirely in English — with three female college students who are studying abroad in Japan." (source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... h-dialogue )

So what do you think?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Summer Story (iOS game from Square Enix)

#2 Post by LVUER »

Square-Enix makes moe games... oh wait, they have Enix legacy now, so it's not strange. Have to play it, if I ever get an i*** thing.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Riviera »

I'm wondering if this will help me learn japanese? It's a tad pricey for an app, so I'll wait and see if anyone can say if it can.

If so, I'll definitely have to buy it. :)
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#4 Post by Suikama »

gekiganwing wrote:(and keep in mind that iTunes doesn't sell adult products)
Really? What about Trucker's Delight? :V

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Riviera »

Suikama wrote:
gekiganwing wrote:(and keep in mind that iTunes doesn't sell adult products)
Really? What about Trucker's Delight? :V
Indeed. I've had a few apps check my age (Crazy Night Out, Unfriendable, etc.), but mostly for language. I've seen a lot of... racy apps in the app store, though, and I assume they'd do the same. I haven't gotten them, so I can't say for sure. :U

Crazy Night Out is a wild VN, though. Lots of language, a few... "situations" that lead pretty close to the act. I played the guy side of the story, and... *spoilers*
Him and a girl got completely wasted on tequila and would have gotten full into the act but for her asking him to get a drink of water. He got up to do that and ended up passing out flat on the floor on the way there, lol.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

I'm hesitant about JP market iOS games since the last time I tried downloading the LovePlus App and met so many restrictions.

Instead I'm looking forward to this, set to have a worldwide release tomorrow:

My interest in this is more than just from an academic perspective (how to approach comic-style VN + minigames)

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/03/an ... ary-range/

Imaginary Range Main site:
http://blog.jp.square-enix.com/imrb/

(Free? I like free!)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

K, I bit the bullet and spent 7 bucks, only to encounter this error. Can anyone who can read decipher it?
Attachments
whatswrong.png