Beginners' Accomplishments! Boasting time!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

Beginners' Accomplishments! Boasting time!

#1 Post by Ionait »

There are a number of experienced VN makers on the forums now (as in, have made more than one complete game) but there are also so many beginners too (like me)! So I thought it might be nice to share our very minor accomplishments.

I just put the first scene of my script into Renpy, edited it, even made my very first menu with choices and jumps! I had to go back so many times and fix colons and weird silly problems, but there it is! And I can play it, the first scene of my game! There aren't any pictures and the UI hasn't been customized. But there it is, the very first step, and I feel so relieved/happy/proud!

Can any other beginners share their first time accomplishments or stories about getting over those first time developmental hurdles?

Memories from veteran game makers would be nice too!

clannadman

Re: Beginners' Accomplishments! Boasting time!

#2 Post by clannadman »

I haven't been developing for long but I finished making my custom in game menus yesterday. Felt good to have overcome what I thought would be a massive technical hurdle (was quite simple in fact).

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#3 Post by Ionait »

clannadman wrote:I haven't been developing for long but I finished making my custom in game menus yesterday. Felt good to have overcome what I thought would be a massive technical hurdle (was quite simple in fact).
I'm about to start that process myself... I'm a bit overwhelmed. But! I found a guide by Aleema from this forum. I bookmarked it and am ready to go!

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#4 Post by Camille »

Haha this morning I finally figured out that you could use DynamicCharacter to have an inputted character's name in the name box above the dialogue. It's a really minor thing but I was really happy to finally have put that in so that you could see the heroine's name with her dialogue. (see: http://twitpic.com/4x4phh/full - SPRITES ARE TEMPORARY ;; that's why the heroine's taller than the guy, haha)

I was also really proud when I finished my custom menus and such. :3 It feels really great playing your game for the first time after you've coded the first bit of it. XD

roankun
Regular
Projects: RHS

#5 Post by roankun »

I'm working on my status page right now, and I thought it was really difficult at first since I've got a lot of changing images based on different stats, but now that it's working nicely, I feel so relieved. :)
I don't have any kind words to spare to someone who already has all the reason in the world to feel good about himself.
http://roankun.wordpress.com/

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#6 Post by Tachyglossus »

I can make images appear at random coordinates!

YAY!

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#7 Post by fioricca »

Reviving an old thread but this thread is SO CUTE.

I'm still in the middle of making my first game but each time I add sound effects and what not I could almost shed a tear. Ren'py is like magic, it's let so many people work and do magic. /)-(\

I'm currently figuring out if statements, menu labels and stuff relating to user choices; I'm sure that once I get to customising my mind will just be blown even more.

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#8 Post by Tachyglossus »

Dude I totally made a dot that cycles through the colours of the rainbow and I can move it around the screen!

.......Okay so that won't be helpful in any of my ideas, but I love my dots. They help me learn things without needing pretty art.

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#9 Post by RemnantDream »

Tachyglossus wrote:Dude I totally made a dot that cycles through the colours of the rainbow and I can move it around the screen!

.......Okay so that won't be helpful in any of my ideas, but I love my dots. They help me learn things without needing pretty art.
If that dot is even in a game, it will totally distract me AND I WILL LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT :DD

I've started 6 games at one time(two of which are going to murder me because of how big the are), already dropped one, and am almost about to release a demo of one. Huzzah.

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#10 Post by Silvere »

RemnantDream wrote: I've started 6 games at one time
Now that was a big mistake, my friend ... D:
Better stay with 1-2 ;)

RemnantDream
Veteran

#11 Post by RemnantDream »

Silvere wrote:Now that was a big mistake, my friend ... D:
Better stay with 1-2 ;)
I know. xD Well, I started 6 but right now I'm working on one. The others are just kinda clogging my folder.
That's just the way I work though. I'll get inspired by something out of the blue and want to start writing it right away. Sometimes I work better when multitasking like that. There are actually a couple more ideas that I've thought of that have yet to start xD

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#12 Post by curry nochi rice »

customized the GUI for tweaks... added SFX, BGM... random imagemaps.... ARGGHH... what's left is the tricky CG gallery...
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#13 Post by babyfish »

My characters can BLINK! WOOHOO!!!!!!
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

RemnantDream
Veteran

#14 Post by RemnantDream »

babyfish, you put the rest of us beginners to shame with your epic awesomeness and stuff (~-3-)~

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#15 Post by manga_otaku »

She really does >w< her first game and it's looking awesome and seems as though she's flying through while insit there and cry over conditional variables xD
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]