PSA: Remember to back up.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

PSA: Remember to back up.

#1 Post by PyTom »

It's 2:30 am. Is your game backed up?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka »

Yes! ;D

Quin
Regular

#3 Post by Quin »

It is now... but it probably wouldn't have been (at least not recently), without this PSA*. Thanks, PyTom!
* PyTom's Save-your-game Alert

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#4 Post by Alessio »

I was wondering what PSA is... do you also have on-site PSA enforcement teams? Breaking down your door at 2:30 am, immobilizing you and making a backup... :)))))

RedSlash
Veteran

#5 Post by RedSlash »

I think, PSA = Public Service Announcement. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Yes, PSA is short for public service announcement. These are short commercials that TV and Radio stations broadcast for the public good.

Specifically, I was referring to the line "It's 10:00, do you know where your children are?" that has aired before the ten pm news program on channel 5 (WNYW, formerly WNEW-TV) since 1967.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... E=WEM1126C
You have until Wednesday to order free backup software. Normally 50 dollars, this software is free after rebate (if purchased by Wednesday). So hurry up, and take advantage of these great savings! ~_^

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Alessio »

I have a great backup tool... It's called drag & drop. :)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

I'll add to this that I ordered a 512Mb USB key for quick backups of the most important files (game projects, ish all) after hearing about all the bad happenings (not that I haven't gone through them but... you tend to forget). I already have an external HD for bigger backups but it's too much of a hassle for lazy me so it's only done once a month or so ^^;

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#10 Post by mikey »

I have the same system as monele - 512 MB stick, external HDD for once every now and then and it's all I need.

That backup software looks really pricy, I suppose for simpler backups drag&drop (or, as Total Commander users say F5&OK) is sufficient. If you make shortcuts to your important folders, you can't miss them in a backup, so that's how I work...

Still, a HDD failure would surely set me back a few days at any time. :(

RedSlash
Veteran

#11 Post by RedSlash »

That backup software appears to nothing more than the same if you copy and pasted your files over a shared drive.

Furthermore, I would be wary about those free rebates. Last time I ordered a free network card (after rebate) from Tigerdirect, it was like hell trying to get my rebate from the network card's company. All I can say is I filed a report to the better business bureau after the company ignored my 10 or so emails, received a fake check after I reported, complained again, company wouldn't send me real checks, finally complained back to Tigerdirect where they sent me a check inplace of that company. That took 6 months!

denzil
Veteran

#12 Post by denzil »

I use CDs for backup and for small files also my e-mail. For simple backups 7-zip usually does the job.
If you make shortcuts to your important folders, you can't miss them in a backup, so that's how I work...
Shortcuts? Hardlinks might be more useful, albeit also more dangerous. Hardlinks + script + scheduler and you can have very easy automated backups.
Luckily I never had problems with HDDs. Except for one that was killed by PSU when frend had borrowed it, they all still work (my oldest HDD is 120MB Maxtor :) )

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Alessio »

I'm using CDRWs (two of them, in turns) together with Freebyte backup. It's very simplish, but does the job if you don't want to manually sort through your folders to find the latest files to be copied. Speed and ease of use is important, otherwise I'd skip the whole backup thing. ^_^

absinthe
Regular

#14 Post by absinthe »

I use a 256mb flash drive + a really, really simple .bat file that backs up specified directories to my other hard drive and to my flash drive.

I used to have it set up to run when I turned the computer on but my start up times are already pretty atrocious (the poor computer is starting to get old). So now I just faithfully double-click my .bat file whenever I'm done working for the day.
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

Haeleth

#15 Post by Haeleth »

I use Subversion to keep all my projects synchronised with a repository located 3000 miles away on a different continent. (The additional advantage of Subversion is that it automatically keeps old versions for you, so if you back up a broken file, you haven't just overwritten your only copy of the last good version.)