the end of open platforms?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

the end of open platforms?

#1 Post by jack_norton »

http://www.osnews.com/story/25619/Mac_O ... by_default
and windows8 is heading the same way.

In practice, indies won't be able to sell direct anymore, but forced to use appstores. Some bad consequences already pops in my mind:
- niche games will become very problematic to sell (as it is already on the iOS)
- censorship. You'll be able to show blood, gore and everything, but a boobs!?! absolutely NOT! the end of hentai games on Pc/Mac?
- no more opensource. I know it seems crazy, but if they go on as they have planned, that will be the consequence. Of course, will still exist on Linux
- what future for Ren'Py? again, we're talking about a DISTANT future (I believe at least 3-4 years) but people using the new OSes from Apple/MS won't even be able to RUN Ren'Py or the games (even free games) since it requires digital signing. Probably there could be some hack on the OS, but will be out of range of the "average joe user"
- probably the only positive effect is that casual piracy will completely cease to exist (again, digital signing required to run apps)

I don't know if I'm exaggerating, but this seems worse than the Mayan prophecy! :mrgreen: hope that there will be a popular revolt, as happened for SOPA/PIPA, but the difference is that both Apple/MS are private companies so they can do what they want with their software...
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: the end of open platforms?

#2 Post by papillon »

To some extent people will be able to get around it through browser games, but yeah, ouch. Any of you out there who are mac users should start pestering Apple to change their minds NOW, or very soon you will have no VNs to play.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#3 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

This sounds frightening... So... frightening...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by jack_norton »

A simple solution would be the belated HTML5 port of Ren'Py! ;)
But yeah, the future looks pretty grim from here, both for indies, Ren'Py, and freedom to play whatever kind of game you want(sexy, politically uncorrect, anything slightly out of the "ordinary").
SUCKS :oops: :oops:
computer games

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

This is ridiculous that they're turning everything into a consumer device where the only creative thing you can do with it is write an email or a document. There are tablets but there are also workstations. Admittedly, there were a few people who bought computer workstations just to access Facebook, so tablets enabled them to save a lot of electricity.

Stock up on indie games while you can, since this will definitely close the spigot.
If my games will be Linux only in the future, then so be it.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I'll note that the default setting in Mountain Lion will be to allow installation of signed games that don't come from the Apple Store. So you probably won't have censorship - but will have to own a modern mac, and pay Apple the $99/year for the privilege of developing for their platform. (Maybe - it isn't clear to me if the certs will be $99/year or free.)

I also here that it may be possible to disable the check on a per-app basis.

The really sad part of this is that it won't even solve the main problem. What OSes really need is good sandboxing - so that you can download any app and run it without worrying about what it does. Instead, we get Certificates - so when an ActiveX control App uploads your address book to the server without your permission, if you somehow detect it, you'll know who to blame. (And to be fair, Apple can block the app once the damage is done - if it's not a popular app, of course.)

But when was the last time Apple has done anything technically clever?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by jack_norton »

PyTom wrote:I'll note that the default setting in Mountain Lion will be to allow installation of signed games that don't come from the Apple Store. So you probably won't have censorship - but will have to own a modern mac, and pay Apple the $99/year for the privilege of developing for their platform. (Maybe - it isn't clear to me if the certs will be $99/year or free.)
I'm not sure but knowing Apple (GREEEEEEEED) they will surely ask $99/year :mrgreen:
But you can't do code signing with Ren'Py, and probably there are also licensing issues (the same that prevents the games to appear on the Mac Appstore already).
Windows8 will do the same code signing BS. So it means that my worst fear has come true and I'll be FORCED to abandon Ren'Py to develop. BAH :x
computer games

Kylock
Regular

#8 Post by Kylock »

See, I was starting to like Apple. And then this. My problem with Apple has always been their insane rights management, and this does nothing to make me want to support them. I jail broke my iPhone, not to steal apps, but just to not have to deal with Apple rights management all the time.

It makes the mostly unregulated insanity of the Android market almost appealing.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#9 Post by Anna »

Windows is heading this way as well!?

Then what? The entire world will convert to Linux?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by jack_norton »

Anna wrote: Then what? The entire world will convert to Linux?
Well that would be the best thing to happen in a long time! F R E E D O M :mrgreen:
computer games

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#11 Post by Anna »

Well, if it gets to that, I'll make it my personal goal to advertise the shit out of that OS each day.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by jack_norton »

Found another article, seems a bit less worrying:
http://www.macworld.com/article/165408/ ... eeper.html
If you want Mountain Lion to run every app under the sun, you can just change the setting to Anywhere. (Changing this setting requires that you enter an administrator’s user name and password.)
Gatekeeper is also really easy to override. If you right-click on an app in the Finder and then choose Open, you’re prompted with a different dialog box—one that also offers to open the offending app. If you choose Open, the app launches normally, and that’s it.
I wonder if will be just like the Windows Vista UAC, where basically everybody said "ok, f***k off, let me run this app"...
computer games

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Applegate »

Windows8 will do the same code signing BS. So it means that my worst fear has come true and I'll be FORCED to abandon Ren'Py to develop. BAH
I don't follow, why don't we just not upgrade to Windows 8 if they reduce the number of things the computer can do?

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#14 Post by kaleidofish »

I don't use Apple-anything anyway, but I'm glad that the second article shows that it's not as troubling as first thought. I still don't like the idea of it, though. It's just too extreme. And if Windows 8 is going to close itself off like that with all of the code-signing stuff, then I just won't switch over to it (I only started using Windows 7 in September). I'll finally become Linux convert, instead.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#15 Post by papillon »

I don't follow, why don't we just not upgrade to Windows 8 if they reduce the number of things the computer can do?
You as an individual can choose not to. However, many people will automatically take new versions because they think they should, or because they buy new computers that automatically come with new versions installed, or because something they're using insists that they MUST upgrade to the newest version in order to continue.

Therefore, a large section of the population is likely to end up in the new environment, which is troubling for people who want to sell or distribute games, because many of their possible customers may be cut off.