Facebook - What it is and how do I use it...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Facebook - What it is and how do I use it...

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

OK so due to consistent peer pressure, from my family, friends and virtually every single damn person I came across in real-life kept asking me the same question "Why are you not in facebook?"

While I'm not gonna deny that I hate things like facebook, I cannot also dismiss the potential of facebook to spread awareness and perhaps maybe if I understand it a little bit more I could use it for my own personal gain.

So I created an account to test things http://www.facebook.com/unclemugen

I'm a total noob at facebook and have no idea what to do with it and how will this help me spread the love and joy that is Uncle Mugen... and I now ask VN people here who have and are familiar with facebook...

As a VN creator... how can facebook be of use?...
Any particular things I needed to know to maximize how I use facebook to my advantage as a VN maker?
How do I become famous in Facebook?...

"POOF" (Disappears)

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

Re: Facebook - What it is and how do I use it...

#2 Post by leon »

mugenjohncel wrote: Any particular things I needed to know to maximize how I use facebook to my advantage as a VN maker?
What you have is a personal Facebook page. This is to be used only with people you know personally. A personal Facebook page, will get suspended/banned from Facebook soon (or when it grows large), if you use it like this. You can't add to many "friends", or use it to promote things. 5000 friends is also a limit for personal pages (but you get banned much sooner). You also want to keep your family and friends personal things away from crazy fans.

Facebook also has business pages (formerly known as fan pages) and group pages (similar to business pages, but moderated and owned by the community). Facebook renamed fan pages, because people will click on "Like" more likely, than on "I'm a fan". But essentially these are still fan pages. All famous people use business pages.

A Facebook business page is what you need. These are quite similar to personal pages, but instead of "everyone is friend with everyone else" system, they use a "fans follow idols" system. Unlike personal pages, you can create and manage as many business pages as you like. You can have a different page for each business you own or interest you have (one personal page per person is allowed, no limits for business pages and groups). A different FB page for each game page is fine. A business page also gathers statistics about your visitors, which can be very useful. Apart from these differences, business/fan pages are used pretty much the same way as you would use a personal page.

A group page is similar to a business page, but groups can grow much much larger. However, when a group page has a large enough following, you loose all moderation options. Groups are usually created by fans of something or someone (not business owners, bands, ...).

One of the most interesting features in Facebook are Facebook Ads. Sometimes they are very expensive, sometimes they are very cheap - it all depends how targeted your ads are. Obviously, these are not an option for promoting free stuff, but if you want a lot of very target traffic overnight (like *literally* overnight) - your budget is the only limit. Facebook Ads allow very specific demographic targeting (for example: 18 old girls, from the US, that have 'VN' and 'anime' entered as one of their interests in their FB profile). If there is little competition targeting the same demographics - FB ads are very cheap.

I don't really use my personal page (I hate Facebook just as much as I love it) for personal stuff. But I have many business pages and I use FB ads sometimes.
mugenjohncel wrote: How do I become famous in Facebook?...
Half of the internet is on Facebook these days... I'd say you are famous in Facebook already, you just don't know it yet. ;)

To make a business page in FB - http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php then select any option, except "Cause or Community" (these are groups). You can have a business page for your website too.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/173973/tai ... end-police

Facebook is NOT part of the internet. It is its own little private network.

http://www.facebook.com/about/timeline

Timeline is even better than Twitter in compiling one person's stupid comments in an easy to view fashion.

Facebook has no competitors. Yahoo has Hotmail and Gmail. Google has Bing (well, sort of)

Don't give in to the pressure, or else it will become the only choice.

I want to buy a station wagon dammit, but they only offer SUVs.

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#4 Post by Efreet »

DaFool wrote: Facebook has no competitors. Yahoo has Hotmail and Gmail. Google has Bing (well, sort of)
I thought Google had "Google +" as their Facebook competitor?

Going back onto topic, Facebook is a private social network, meaning if everything and anyone can be linked up. So right away, as leon has described, you can create a following with a Facebook Business page. I'm sure there are some Ren'Py fan pages on there.

I used to have a Facebook account, but closed it due to my account getting hacked and spam everyone in my contact list (there are roundabout ways of avoiding getting hacked and spam, but I rarely used it, downloaded a few apps and my password was 'decent'). Then there were the negative social issues surrounding FB, like how it make some people feel more anxious.

I'm fine without it, but the public awareness/image might've now become a norm and perhaps a requirement.