Truly fan-made

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Truly fan-made

#1 Post by mikey »

^_^ as usual, with a lot of heartbeat... I first have written this as a reply to Handiba's cancellation idea, and wanted to encourage people. It came out like this. :?

Truly fan-made.

Aaaah, fan-made games. It sounds romantic, doesn't it? The fan-made game is the opposite of the corporate production led by faceless PowerPoint men in dark suits driving company BMWs. Deciding to make a game that you give away for free means you are the opposite of the present-day consumer society that lives from hype, popular personalities and (since this is anime territory) scantily-clad underage girls with shiny thighs. It means there still is a place where artistic freedom isn't just in the picking of the school uniform color scheme, or in choosing the name for the stepsister. Creating a fan-made game and sharing it with others is proof that there are things more important than website traffic, sales figures and mass-appeal. And the visual novel Narcissu may be (it certainly is cited as) a prime example of this. Developed and given away for free, it puts story above everything else, it says no to shiny graphics and goes back to basics. By being minimalistic, it forces us to imagine, to think and to feel. It may well be the best fan-made visual novel that's available in English.

Yet, this doesn't really matter to me.

You see, Narcissu isn't a fan-made game. It's a game made by professionals, it's high-profile doujin. Don't get me wrong - it still is a great work. It has thought, love, and it has emotions. But it isn't a fan-made game. Yes - the excellence of execution, the artistic value and the fact that this was done for free for fans, it's all more than enough reason to make it a true, selfless doujin game, one that is (rightfully) often being put well above other fan works in terms of quality.

So here, now, I admit it. I'm not the Narcissu type. Because I like a different game. It's called The Garden Society: Kykuit.

Kykuit was done within a month's deadline, by one person pushing herself to the limits - design, programming, artwork, story and the musical help of a friend. In comparison to this, the great Narcissu looks a bit too sterile, too calculated, and without that certain something, that "fan-made charm", it's indeed... too artsy. And art isn't charming. Perhaps art is overwhelming, and Narcissu surely is spectacular in its minimalism and memorable in its emotions. But it never really feels like the work of a fan.

Fan-made games are inventive, because they need to be. If they are minimalistic, there is primarily a practical (not artistic) reason for this. Fan-made means doing whatever you can, with whatever you have at your disposal. It means inventing new ways of cheating in some areas of game development, simply because you don't have the skills. It's photographic backgrounds when you can't draw. It's using templates and trying to customize them to make them unique, but with less effort. It's making two-channel music in a freeware tracker. It's pushing yourself and having to make things that are new to you, because no one volunteers to help you. It's making virtues out of necessities, it's being creative, not because you choose to be, but because you need to be. It's seeing the game through, despite the discouraging screenshots of a better-looking project and then releasing it, even though the criticism you know will come will hurt the more the more of yourself you've given it.

Games like The Garden Society Kykuit are your basic cars, put together from home-made components and materials found at the scrapyard. They have a steering wheel, an engine and some seats. So forget the luxury, forget even the paint on the outside. Their creators are happy to see them move and giving a few of their friends a short ride. This is a world of improvised budget cars, a world where Katherine is at home, where Fade fits in so nicely and where Pygmalion is one of the recent completions. It's not surprising to see other true fan-made games in here, just as it's unsurprising to see others not really fitting in. And it's here, where Narcissu stands out so much - it's a Rolls Royce, with scrubbed-off paint, and inside with all the leather from the seats torn off. Narcissu is art. Kykuit is heart.

Perhaps I have even made a mistake when I first played Narcissu, treating it like a fan-made game, rather than a doujin game. In my defence, I didn't know any of the names behind the project, I didn't know anything, really. And it may well have been that first playthrough where I was looking for this charm and didn't see it, that made even subsequent replays unable to make me like it anymore. And now I have to admit to being already too influenced, biased and protective of true fan-made works, and as a result of this, making a comparison that's easy to challenge. But if the price for all the great games is one Narcissu, then it's something I'll pay happily.

And so, Kykuit is, for me, a symbol for all those other truly fan-made games. They have been thought up, rather than designed. Created, rather than produced. They are today's games, and for their creators, tomorrow's memories. Fan-made works are by far the best thing to happen to visual novels, they are the slightly burned cookies of a young wife, they are - in all their imperfection - perfect.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

This touches the right strings ^^. "Narcissu is art. Kykuit is heart."

Fan-made games are like the drawing of your child you hang on the wall next to your desk. You know it's certainly not the best out there... but it's certainly more meaningful than anything else.

(kinda like your cookie one ^^)

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#3 Post by PrettySammy09 »

I read your piece, and while I really enjoyed it, a few questions came to mind.

Does a game need to be minimalist and have lower quality graphics/programming/music to have "heart"? I don't think that's what you're saying at all, but from your piece, what I'm getting is that doing an epic fan-made project is going against what a fan-made game really is. Can't a fan-made game be just as great and emotionally appealing and fun as a professionally made game? Or does that deplete the entire point of having a fan-made game?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

PrettySammy09 wrote:Does a game need to be minimalist and have lower quality graphics/programming/music to have "heart"?
Another way to put it: If your child brings home from kindergarten a really good painting, does that mean you _won't_ hang it on the fridge?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

GlassKitten-chan

#5 Post by GlassKitten-chan »

Er...I think I come from a different galaxy than this. Even though I enjoy the unpolished sincerity of other people's fan games, mine had better be shiny enough to blind small children before I consider releasing anything. I guess that would be why I have lived nineteen years without having made any contributions to the world that I dare to put my name on.

And so let everyone else's good-enough-to-convey-the-maker's-heart-and-soul creations continue, and as for me, I will get back to my art lessons (after my weekly homework-panic). I seem to have a double standard for myself and for everyone else which reaches not only the artistic part of life but every other sector I can think of. I wonder what accounts for these differing perspectives.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Hmmm, I didn't know that Narcissu was made by pros disguised as amateurs until after I've played the game.

As for art vs heart....eh, they're not mutually exclusive :D

I think that goes the same for minimalism versus polish.

Or thought up versus designed (I can't help it that anything I think becomes designed...I was trained in engineering after all)

The reason I subscribe to minimalism is because of need, not because of style. (I still haven't a chance to park my dad's Suzuki Multicab next to my uncle's Jaguar though...I still need to buy a sombrero and suspenders for added effect :P )

Speaking of cars, you can take a hint at new small econo-cars...they're the same econo-cars as yesteryear, yet they're now more stylish then ever. I think that's still minimalist.

So instead of a stripped-down Rolls Royce, you have a souped up Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris.

I know I'll never be able to make anything other than an econo-car, but by golly the drive to make it a fun ride is there :D

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#7 Post by Counter Arts »

Well we all know how Sony likes pre-rendered graphics. It made people who were vulnerable to flashy flashy stuff happy while others worried.

Just from hype that was generated, you can tell how many people are vulnerable to flashy flashy stuff.

*Insert Sony Press confrence jokes here*

Of course, if you can have the flashy stuff and the heart then you own all!

Now, the hardest part is probably getting both in one game.

absinthe
Regular

#8 Post by absinthe »

Counter Arts wrote:Of course, if you can have the flashy stuff and the heart then you own all!

Now, the hardest part is probably getting both in one game.
And it's hard even for professionals to do!

In every game I've ever played, while 'flashy' might get my eyes going in that direction, without a solid story and satisfying game-play the love affair is over in a few days at best. And my all time favorite games list doesn't have a single game that could really qualify as 'flashy' on it.

I just want to make something pretty and engaging and fun, that maybe makes the player feel something, and I'll be happy. For me, the fun is in the making, mostly, and while my idea of 'heart' might not be the same as someone else's, I know any game I create will make me happy. :)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

How about this...make something to put the pros to shame!

It's been done before (*cough Ren'Py engine vs *cough Blade engine)
Also, I read some free sites that provide me with more information that I truly need than some paid / advertised sites.

So it can apply to games...the trick is to cut corners where it's not evident, and for places that it is evident --> make it seem like it was designed that way! It's hardest to do for handdrawn art...but other elements can be brought up to pro-level with minimal effort if the design is well thought out.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Counter Arts »

Yeah, that's why I like doujin games. Heart not only is good for making games, but also for being millions of dollars less overhead.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#11 Post by mikey »

PrettySammy09 wrote:Does a game need to be minimalist and have lower quality graphics/programming/music to have "heart"?
No, I didn't (want to) imply that.
PyTom wrote:Another way to put it: If your child brings home from kindergarten a really good painting, does that mean you _won't_ hang it on the fridge?
I will. Again, the theory on what's positive doesn't mean to me that the opposite is negative.
DaFool wrote:As for art vs heart....eh, they're not mutually exclusive
They aren't, of course. I didn't want to say that either (and I don't think I did). Though I admit deliberately choosing a very biased tone of writing. To illustrate the point. :?

I guess what I was looking to say was that often you might think the game needs more of this and that, but it doesn't. That's all - and maybe I like those game best - but it doesn't mean others are bad, and that it's wrong to strive for polish and test a lot and want to have nice presentation while having an interesting story. This was supposed to be encouragment, saying that your game isn't pointless if your it doesn't meet "certain standards", and that there are people who can actually appreciate it. By all means, everyone should do as much polish and flashiness as they like, there's no need to turn to doodles instead of graphics. :oops:

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Counter Arts »

Yes! I totally agree with Mikey!

Take a look at this for example! "Touhou Soccer!"

I don't think any big shot game companies have guts to dream of something like this.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by monele »

Counter Arts wrote:Take a look at this for example! "Touhou Soccer!"
Oh oh... Tsubasa spoof :3. Is this *actually* a game? ^^;...

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Counter Arts »

monele wrote:
Counter Arts wrote:Take a look at this for example! "Touhou Soccer!"
Oh oh... Tsubasa spoof :3. Is this *actually* a game? ^^;...
Yes! This IS a game! A doujin game! The action sequences are animated in real-time and require a decent graphics card despite everything else being 8-bit style colours!

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#15 Post by lordcloudx »

A very well-written essay on a topic that's also been bugging me for ages.

I'm not really sure why many projects get axed while in production, since I've never done it myself.

Anywayz, attempting to make something so "grand" as to beat the current benchmark for english VN's or even japanese releases hasn't really occured to me.

So I believe the message here is that each VN release has its own place and will always find its own audience. (paraphrasing a pm from mikey.) This doesn't mean that trying to make your game as professional as possible is bad for a fan-made title. However, we need not work on our own games with the mental limiter that we need to beat that current game with shinier graphics, since this actually creates an invisible restriction that we might not be able to break free of, but yes, this is still relative.

We all started making these games for our own reasons, while attempting to make a professional looking title might have its charm at first, this isn't the primary reason for some of us for making these games and we need not shift to this mindset even if the rest of the world disagrees. At least this much applies to me.

besides... doesn't this train of thought apply to otaku culture in general? Look at Comic Party (the anime) that guy's manga didn't really sell that well from beginning to end, but at least somebody read it and if that's not good enough for you, then go ahead and go pro.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)