NaNoRenO 2007- The ren'ai visual novel challenge!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#31 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Yes- there is no entry deadline of course. As long as you begin and end in the month of March, it qualifies.

But it's nice to sign up before hand, because it gives more motivation for other people to finish. It's easier to work hard and persevere when you know lots people the world over are doing the same.

Oh, and I'd like to thank Misu publicly for offering to host the page for NaNoRenO.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#32 Post by PyTom »

I am somewhat worried about people with large projects joining NaNoRenO. It's hard to pick up a project once you've put it down.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#33 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:I am somewhat worried about people with large projects joining NaNoRenO. It's hard to pick up a project once you've put it down.
Hmmm, this is why I was suggesting to think about a maximum length (in words or characters). But again, it's a limiting requrement and the less of those the better.

Well, I'm being very helpful today ^_^

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#34 Post by mugenjohncel »

I am somewhat worried about people with large projects joining NaNoRenO. It's hard to pick up a project once you've put it down.
I guess I happen to be one of them...

Me joining NaNoRenO is still far fetched and I have already exerted considerable amounts of effort on my Mr. K project so dropping it down is definitelly out of the question.

OK... maybe I would do one or two smaller ones in between... or maybe not.

Anyway I'm just asking if Non-Ren'ai is qualified or not but it was clearly stated in the rules that says ONLY REN'AI but then again... just maybe...

absinthe
Regular

#35 Post by absinthe »

I was wondering what NaNoRenO stood for too, but after thinking about it, I think it gives a sense of what's going on even if it doesn't seem to stand for anything. For a tagline, how about 'The Ren'ai NaNoMangO!' or something similar?

I like the colors on the web page, too -- very clean, very elegant. Looks great!
mugenjohncel wrote:Anyway I'm just asking if Non-Ren'ai is qualified or not but it was clearly stated in the rules that says ONLY REN'AI but then again... just maybe...
If I had a vote, I'd say it should be open to anything Visual Novel-esque that has at least two endings. But then, I'm never certain how much romance is required to qualify for "Ren'ai" status anyway.

I think of NaNoWriMo as a personal challenge, a 'can I do this -- free my mind' kind of deal, not really as a competition (ala the If Comp). A way to jumpstart yourself, and see what you're really capable of. So the subject matter shouldn't matter, at least the way I see it.

I mean, technically, following the NaNoWriMo guidelines, 'showing to the public' isn't even a parameter -- at the end of the challenge, you verify your word count (and nobody checks to see if it's not just 'All work and no play...' over and over 10,000 times) and you get your "I finished" button (I want a button, by the way, if I finish this thing) and that's the end of it. I definitely like the 'ready to release' factor for NaNoRenO, because it really gives back to the community, but fundamentally, I'm doing this to challenge myself.

That said, limiting it to Ren'ai gives a pre-defined structure that could be helpful to novices who otherwise might panic at having no idea what to use as a plot... and it definitely makes it easier to qualify for inclusion in the Ren'Ai archives. :)
Last edited by absinthe on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

PyTom wrote:I am somewhat worried about people with large projects joining NaNoRenO. It's hard to pick up a project once you've put it down.
This seems applicable to me. If I don't finish most of what I have left for my first game before March, then I'll probably withdraw. But, I'm pretty certain that won't be an issue

Misuzu
Regular

#37 Post by Misuzu »

absinthe wrote:I like the colors on the web page, too -- very clean, very elegant. Looks great!
Thank you =D. Not bad for being designed in an hour and a half in the wee hours of the morning (then being coded in the next hour).
Design is semi-borked in IE6 though (*sigh, the bane of my existence*), but I'll fix that later.

absinthe
Regular

#38 Post by absinthe »

Misu wrote:Thank you =D. Not bad for being designed in an hour and a half in the wee hours of the morning (then being coded in the next hour).
Design is semi-borked in IE6 though (*sigh, the bane of my existence*), but I'll fix that later.
Oh, my hate for IE6 knows no limit! My last hobby website was a Greek tragedy, I swear; I coded every element lovingly and specifically into place for design reasons, and it was so beautiful in Firefox... and then the stupid IE positioning bugs made it look hideous.
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

Misuzu
Regular

#39 Post by Misuzu »

You know, why not. I've never done one of these before, but I've always liked to write stories ^^. And my friend always wanted to try drawing a visual novel, so toss me in.

I'll dig out my old group name, Misu-Net for this, since thats what I did all my al|togethers under too (two person group for this project).

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Yeah- team # 7! I'm interested to know... what engine will you be using?

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#41 Post by mugenjohncel »

Uh... so can we people with non ren'ai stories running in their heads join NaNoRenO.

Looking at the amount of votes accumulated on the other thread... I think it's about time to expand.

Please let me join... please...

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

mugenjohncel wrote:Uh... so can we people with non ren'ai stories running in their heads join NaNoRenO.

Looking at the amount of votes accumulated on the other thread... I think it's about time to expand.

Please let me join... please...
Well, I think it's only proper to give the poll 24 hours. But it would take a massive swing of votes in the opposite direction to change the outcome. Meaning, you could probably pop the champagne right now, and start making plans for every minute of every day in March- but it won't be official until 16 hours from now

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#43 Post by Counter Arts »

I'd be willing to help out with some of the coding (just manage yourselfs with the other content). I'll help out with some non-standard features that require programming. I can program some particle systems if you desire.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#44 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Oooo... the arrival of the NaNoRenO Death Clock! I can't believe I had forgotten about it. It's soo... foreboding O_o;;;

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#45 Post by Alessio »

Well, I'll continue with my long-term project. There are already enough participants for NaNoRenO. ^_^