VN engines for IOS/Android

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
TheGuraGuraMan
Veteran

VN engines for IOS/Android

#1 Post by TheGuraGuraMan »

Hello guys.

I'm looking for Vn engines for mobiles, so I tought " what about making a list of VN engines for IOS and Android", and here we are.

For now I officially heard about one :

- ONscripter for IOS. Problem, it seems like it's only in Japanese.
http://onscripter.sourceforge.jp/ios/

I also looked at the files in VN on IOS to see what do they use. Don't really know how but Jupiter's knot seems to use Renpy files (it have .rpy files). One day I think I found the engine for it, but damn just lost the link and can't find it anymore U.U.

Also I would be interested in Engines who are compatible with Unicode and maybe proportional fonts.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: VN engines for IOS/Android

#2 Post by CheeryMoya »

There's the Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool that works for Android development. Ren'Py games on iOS are not supported at this time.

dischan developed a way to port their games to to iOS, but at the moment that engine is for in-house use only. They said they might release it for other developers to use in the distant future, but my memory might be fuzzy.

TheGuraGuraMan
Veteran

#3 Post by TheGuraGuraMan »

Ah I see for IOS, damn seems interesting, hope they will release it one day... where did you saw that ? Didn't found anything about it when I looked at the forum some times ago.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#4 Post by Anna »

NVList can also export VNs to Android. Actually, you just have to press a button: http://nvlist.weeaboo.nl/docs/current/m ... ndroid.xml

We made the Nanolife Android version this way too, be it with some small tweaking :3

TheGuraGuraMan
Veteran

#5 Post by TheGuraGuraMan »

Ah this is quite cool, but anything for IOS :| ?

AxemRed
Veteran

#6 Post by AxemRed »

iOS has a bunch of proprietary engines, but nothing free or open source AFAIK. You may be able to get HTML5-based engines to run, perhaps something like WebStory once it gets further along in development.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by CheeryMoya »

TheGuraGuraMan wrote:Ah I see for IOS, damn seems interesting, hope they will release it one day... where did you saw that ? Didn't found anything about it when I looked at the forum some times ago.
Back at home now, I can do my research. The engine that dischan used to port Juniper's Knot is their Dischan Mobile Animation Engine, or DisMAE for short. From that page:
DisMAE, or Dischan Mobile Animation Engine, is a custom visual novel engine for iOS built using the Cocos2D framework.

DisMAE is particularly useful in it's ability to recognise many ren'py script commands directly, simplifying the process of porting ren'py games to iOS significantly.

Currently, the engine is for in-house use only, however may be released for licensing in the future.
So they aren't sharing yet.
AxemRed wrote:iOS has a bunch of proprietary engines, but nothing free or open source AFAIK. You may be able to get HTML5-based engines to run, perhaps something like WebStory once it gets further along in development.
The WebStory Engine does work if you have a phone that can connect to the internet, here's a screenshot to confirm that.
Works all the same, nothing different if you were viewing it from a computer.

TheGuraGuraMan
Veteran

#8 Post by TheGuraGuraMan »

Thanks for the confirmation about Juniper's knot.

And yeah i just discovered Webstory yesterday, seems really interesting since it works on everything. I should look if it can see fullscreen, would be useful for mobiles and tablets.

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#9 Post by Chu-3 »

I'm using lemonovel air mobile (japanese) for my ios app. pretty easy but kinda limited for some feature. it's based on adobe air and kinda similar with kirikiri. (based on the maker. i never used kirikiri so i don't know well)

TheGuraGuraMan
Veteran

#10 Post by TheGuraGuraMan »

There is also the engine used for Ripples, found the website of it some times ago but lost the link. Is there anyone who could help plz ?

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#11 Post by Anarchy »

TheGuraGuraMan wrote:There is also the engine used for Ripples, found the website of it some times ago but lost the link. Is there anyone who could help plz ?
You're thinking about http://vnovel.info/. But I hear that they have some rather unethical business practices...