Questions about voice acting

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

Questions about voice acting

#1 Post by Anarchy »

Thinking of including voice work in my next VN, and I have a few questions. How can I program the VN so that:

(1) The track cuts off if the player clicks through to the next line before the line finishes playing?
(2) The player can choose to turn off all voices from the options screen, or even to turn off individual voices?
(2) The voice tracks play again when the player does a rollback?
(3) There's a slider to adjust the volume of the voices?

Levrex
Veteran

Re: Questions about voice acting

#2 Post by Levrex »

1) Huh? It doesn't stop automatically?
Then use the following callback for all characters. May be wrong event, beware.

Code: Select all

def stop_voice(event, **kwargs):
            if event == "end":
                renpy.music.stop(channel="voice")
2) Make a button which deliberately sets the value for "voice volume" at zero, i.e. renpy.music.set_volume. It also shall toggle the persistent variable for showing voice bar (see below), so that the user can't change it until he chooses "play voices". For individual voices you have two options:
a) Create another channel for voices that would be heard no matter what. Mixer'll be "voice". Play necessary voices on that channel.
b) Set another persistent value for voices that would not be played... and add a check for playing before each of the voiced lines. As you can clearly see, that is a dumb way, so is not recommended.

3) Either apricotorange did that in his rollback or it was implemented in 6.14 by himself too. As long as my memory doesn't fail me.
4) Copy any slider bar, replace the value with value Preference("voice volume"). Use boolean check to show the bar.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.