Notion 3 - For those who compose in notes!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Maurice
Completed: Steins;Gate

Notion 3 - For those who compose in notes!

#1 Post by Maurice »

Hi!

For the record it's not spam. I noticed that a lot of people are looking for good software for making their music, and I've just thought that to some extend it may solve some problems for newcomers, beginners. : )

Recently I gave up piano playing in favour of composing. For me, I can see music in notes and compsing by using piano rolls really looks like magick! I tried demo of Finale and Sibelius, and although having decent features of making complex print-sheet music they seemed to be not very sufficient at music production. You can produce good quality print-sheet but not good-quality-sounding music.

After a week of looking for best software that would potentially enable me to produce (and not only write) music by using notation I came across to 'Notion 3'. It's a combination of notation software and simple DAW, which was exactly what I was looking for. Because you know, doing one piece of music by usic plenty of software can be a bit daunting. : )

There are the main features that kept my interest!
- You can use VST instruments
- You can apply different VST effects to different instruments (simmilar to what you can do in FL when you connect channel to a track)
- You can change vellocity to each note and techniques like 'trills', pedalization.
- Built in reverb and equalizer.
- Ridiculously cheap in comparison to 'Sibelius' and 'Finale'
- You can finish your track using only one software. You don't have to export midi file in order to finish it in FL, or any other DAW.

I'm using Notion Progression 2 which is half price because I was kind of short of money. : )

I'll show you some sample music that I created to have a little picture of what you can do with that:
Keep in mind that I'm beginner composer so these pieces are ridiculously bad.

- This one was created by using MuseScore+FL Studio+EdirolOrchestral:
http://ge.tt/3vTwl2e/v/0

- This one was created by using Notion Progression + VST: Edirol Orchestral, Piano One:
http://ge.tt/3JLpm2e/v/0

And here are some screenshots. : )
Hope it helps. : )

If you know any other software which enables you to produce music in notation don't hesitate to mention it.
And if you have any question concerning functionality of the software don't hesitate to ask. : )