20MB13 [survival horror][VN] UPDATE!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
xxmissarichanxx
Regular
Completed: Froot Basket Valentine, Devious
Projects: After-Party Chemistry, The Salaryman
Tumblr: xxmissarichanxx
Deviantart: xxmissarichanxx
itch: xxmissarichanxx

20MB13 [survival horror][VN] UPDATE!

#1 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

heyy, i'm ari, and i'm new~
i'm working on this visual novel called 20MB13 (pronounced "zombie"), and it's a gift for my friends who graduated with me.. hohoho. it's nothing too serious....................... (but really, it is). it'll definitely be put up here when it's finished for you guys to play, and i want it to be FREEEEEEEE~

i'm writing the story and drawing/coloring all the art, but i'd appreciate feedback and some help with music. i really want this project to be special and to have its own soundtrack. and i was thinking voice acting would be super cool, but i've got like zero money to spend on this project.... so if you know anyone who's willing to work for free or someone who wants to get their work out there, let me know.

all the drawing will be done on photoshop CS6 (and i might use FireAlpaca? just to test it out, we'll see....), because i'm still waiting for painttoolSAI to be available for macs. sobsob.

btw, i am no way at all a super expert with ren'py, and all i've been doing so far is looking up tutorials here on lemmasoft (and they have been super duper helpful, thanks guys). so i'll probably need help with coding and programming and stuff.... >____>

i'm also using a lot of placeholders from google right now, so if you see something you recognize in one of my screenshots, it's because placeholder.

Emery is a freshmen in college who's a little homesick. She's not used to living in cold weather, seeing nothing but flat lands in all directions, and living away from her family and friends. It's only been three months since she's started school, and though she's made new friends and has had her fun, she can't deny that she misses home.

One fall morning, Emery wakes to find herself amidst chaos as students and faculty scramble out on to the streets; reports of an unknown infection that causes pre-decomposition, aggression, and the recently deceased to come back to life is all over the news and radio stations. Now more than ever, Emery has to fight for her life to survive....

(it's really more about relationship-building though.......)

S E T T I N G
modern day
continental America

Just a sketch for now. >____>
E M E R Y
The Main Character
She's friendly and bubbly, but can be stubborn. She's easily frustrated, but won't give up until the job is done. Emery has been watching AMC's the Walking Dead, has experience shooting rifles, and is an amateur judoka.

E T H A N
Emery's Boyfriend
They're high school sweethearts, but he goes to college in a different state. He's talkative and has a vast knowledge of random things. He's rather analytical in his methods, and is a great problem solver. Evan is loyal, friendly, and very opinionated.

G R A C E L Y N N
Emery's High School Friend
Calm and collected but headstrong, Gracelynn is a fierce fighter being a black belt in karate. She is sweet, passionate, and delicate both in and out, but she definitely knows how to put up a tough exterior when the situation demands it. She's been surviving with Ron as a partner before regrouping with Emery and Evan.

R O N
Emery's College Friend
Ron is level-headed, responsible, and possesses leadership skill. He's quick on his feet, and, being the eldest of the group, does what's necessary to keep everyone alive. He has many stories and experiences to share. He's been surviving with Gracelynn before regrouping with Emery and Evan.

J A Y D E N
Another young survivor
Jayden makes quite an effective reasoner. He can be sassy and sarcastic, but he always asks relevant questions and is observant and analytical. He likes to keep tabs on people, keeping up with the latest gossip/news. He's also an Eagle scout.

S U N A K O
Jayden was traveling with her before he joined Emery's group. Sunako enjoys both creepy and cute things. She is bubbly, polite, and always searching for adventure.

S C R E E N S H O T S

G U I
(the ugly bg is a placeholder for now...)

Preferences Screen

Save/Load Screen

Story: 1%
Script: N/A
Sprites: N/A
BGs: N/A
CGs: N/A
Music: incompetech.com, danosongs.com, jamendo.com
SFX: soundjay.com, soundbible.com

_ _ _

UPDATE!! (07/18/13)
-- i've decided to use royalty-free music from incompetech and some other royalty-free music websites. --
-- updated Emery's bio LOL --
-- changed Eric's name to "Ethan" --
-- updated Gracelynn, Ron, and Jayden's bio --
-- new subcharacter: Sunako --

C R E D I T S
I've already used some textures and brushes that may be useful to some of you, so I'll share them with you. C:

T E X T U R E S
http://isleofyew.deviantart.com/art/7-X ... s-82682450
http://sirius-sdz.deviantart.com/art/Te ... -297887860

B R U S H E S
http://droma595.deviantart.com/art/Bloo ... 1-16737517
http://vamp-kiss.deviantart.com/art/Gru ... s-55463204

M U S I C
http://www.danosongs.com/#music
http://incompetech.com/

S O U N D E F F E C T S
http://www.soundjay.com/index.html
http://soundbible.com/

Last edited by xxmissarichanxx on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

Aceline

Re: 20MB13 [survival horror][VN]

#2 Post by Aceline »

I can't get over how clever the name of your game is. KUDOS! Ahh I feel your pain in terms of SAI. If only I could use it on my mac without having to partition it (and while we're at it, same with 3Ds Max).

I'm generally not a fan of survival horrors, but I do like zombies and this seems interesting so I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this thread :3

Kensela
Regular

#3 Post by Kensela »

I really like the title and also like the 20mb13 sign you did it really cached my eye. Also I laughed at the progress section because it reminds me so much of my current project ;_;
anyways good luck

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#4 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Aceline wrote:I can't get over how clever the name of your game is. KUDOS! Ahh I feel your pain in terms of SAI. If only I could use it on my mac without having to partition it (and while we're at it, same with 3Ds Max).

I'm generally not a fan of survival horrors, but I do like zombies and this seems interesting so I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this thread :3
AHH lol i know neither can i! Hahaaa, thank you~

i really wish they'd come up with a SAI for macs, but i heard FireAlapaca is somewhat like SAI, so i thought i'd try it out.

i've been watching too much Walking Dead, and everyone's into the zombie craze this year, so i thought i'd theme the visual novel after the zombie apocalypse. hahaa, we'll see how it goes, and thank you C:

i do have a question though: how else would you classify a zombie game? when i was writing the tags in, i wasn't sure what genre the visual novel fell under...

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#5 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Kensela wrote:I really like the title and also like the 20mb13 sign you did it really cached my eye. Also I laughed at the progress section because it reminds me so much of my current project ;_;
anyways good luck
YAYYY~ i'm glad the title is interesting and the logo is eye-catching. HOHOHO, that progress section is the story of my life. >_____> HIGH FIVE. sobsob.

i really need to get things done though. the year's nearly over and i want to get this gift to my friends before 2014. lol.

good luck to you and your project as well C:

dobod
Projects: 1 day with Yuria, SPKB
Organization: Gamabunta

#6 Post by dobod »

It's interesting, about the survival. And the character design, seems match with the theme.
Waiting for more sketch/development/anything..

I think i want to help you with renpy, but after saw the menu screenshot, it seems your skill is better than mine. i never customized the menu that much.
I'm still learning renpy, and i think by working on more vn i'll get more experience before continuing my own project.

But, anyway, good luck for this...

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#7 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

dobod wrote:It's interesting, about the survival. And the character design, seems match with the theme.
Waiting for more sketch/development/anything..

I think i want to help you with renpy, but after saw the menu screenshot, it seems your skill is better than mine. i never customized the menu that much.
I'm still learning renpy, and i think by working on more vn i'll get more experience before continuing my own project.

But, anyway, good luck for this...
Thanks! C: By "character design", do you mean the style I drew in? I wasn't sure if I should paint the sprites or cell-shade them, but if you think painting the sprites matches the theme, I might just paint them. Hahaa.

I'm sure we can help each other with ren'py! C:

Good luck to you too! Cx

Armee
Veteran

#8 Post by Armee »

Survival Horror, I like this genres so I might give it a shot when you finished this. Creative title.

For Eric's name, how about Ethan/Evan or Elmer? Such geeky names. My brain might be a little limited due to the lack of sleeping. Anyway, this catch my interest so I want to see what will you giving in the future.

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#9 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Armee wrote:Survival Horror, I like this genres so I might give it a shot when you finished this. Creative title.

For Eric's name, how about Ethan/Evan or Elmer? Such geeky names. My brain might be a little limited due to the lack of sleeping. Anyway, this catch my interest so I want to see what will you giving in the future.

Thanks!

"Emery and Evan", "Emery and Ethan", hmmm. i'll think about the suggestions you've given me. thank you, hahaa.
maybe when i get a picture of him up, it'll be easier to think of a name?

i'll do my best to update as often as i can! C:

dobod
Projects: 1 day with Yuria, SPKB
Organization: Gamabunta

#10 Post by dobod »

xxmissarichanxx wrote: Thanks! C: By "character design", do you mean the style I drew in? I wasn't sure if I should paint the sprites or cell-shade them, but if you think painting the sprites matches the theme, I might just paint them. Hahaa.

I'm sure we can help each other with ren'py! C:

Good luck to you too! Cx
I don't understand about drawing style so i can't really tell you. I just feel like it, but it will be better if you try all and get more feedback from everyone, or just do your best drawing style.

Okay, i'll gladly help (if i'm not busy) XD

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by gekiganwing »

What are zombies like in your fictional world? Do they strongly resemble zombies from a specific work of fiction? Also, are your characters genre savvy (do they know and acknowledge other stories)?
xxmissarichanxx wrote:i do have a question though: how else would you classify a zombie game? when i was writing the tags in, i wasn't sure what genre the visual novel fell under...
If you've already released a game or a visual novel, then you can probably create an entry for your work in progress. If you haven't, then wait until you create at least a demo or an unfinished version. Otherwise, your entry might be removed from the database.

Having said that, definitely use the tag Theme: Horror. Describe your characters appropriately, as well as your setting (Modern Day America... or perhaps Canada). And make sure to use spoiler settings for tags that might reveal too much (Zombie Heroine? Death of Hero / Heroine / Protagonist?).

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#12 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

gekiganwing wrote:What are zombies like in your fictional world? Do they strongly resemble zombies from a specific work of fiction? Also, are your characters genre savvy (do they know and acknowledge other stories)?
xxmissarichanxx wrote:i do have a question though: how else would you classify a zombie game? when i was writing the tags in, i wasn't sure what genre the visual novel fell under...
If you've already released a game or a visual novel, then you can probably create an entry for your work in progress. If you haven't, then wait until you create at least a demo or an unfinished version. Otherwise, your entry might be removed from the database.

Having said that, definitely use the tag Theme: Horror. Describe your characters appropriately, as well as your setting (Modern Day America... or perhaps Canada). And make sure to use spoiler settings for tags that might reveal too much (Zombie Heroine? Death of Hero / Heroine / Protagonist?).

Those are really great questions! Thanks for asking them. It'll help me develop the story further. I was trying to come up with a way the "infection" is transmitted, so I've been looking up all sorts of viruses, the biology behind viruses, how the body decomposes, etc. All I'm sure of right now is that my zombies aren't supernatural and that the "infection" is completely biological and would make sense in the real world. I'm also planning on making my characters genre savvy. As you can see, I still have to flesh them out more...
I'll be sure to include this information on my next huge update.

I haven't released a game or visual novel yet, so I guess I'll wait to tag and classify.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#13 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

dobod wrote:
I don't understand about drawing style so i can't really tell you. I just feel like it, but it will be better if you try all and get more feedback from everyone, or just do your best drawing style.

Okay, i'll gladly help (if i'm not busy) XD

ohh, i see. feeling is good too. i want the art style to appeal to the audience. thanks for letting me know!

if i have any questions, you'll be sure to find them somewhere on this forum (or maybe in a PM!)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#14 Post by Taleweaver »

xxmissarichanxx wrote: Story: LOL LIKE 1%
Script: HAHAA
Sprites: HOHOHOHO
BGs: OH MY LAWD
CGs: GRAVY PUDDING
With this little progress, I think your game should be moved into our Ideas section, and I'd like to do that.

Any reasons why I shouldn't?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#15 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Taleweaver wrote:
xxmissarichanxx wrote: Story: LOL LIKE 1%
Script: HAHAA
Sprites: HOHOHOHO
BGs: OH MY LAWD
CGs: GRAVY PUDDING
With this little progress, I think your game should be moved into our Ideas section, and I'd like to do that.

Any reasons why I shouldn't?

I don't think it's really a "work in progress" either. It really is just in the idea stage right now, so I wouldn't mind you moving it. Sorry for putting it in the wrong section...