Jason's D

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Jason
Regular
Completed: Sierra Ops Episode 1 and 2, Rising Angels: Reborn (Some CGs)
Projects: Sierra Ops, Muv-Luv Kickstarter
Organization: Innomen Team

Jason's D

#1 Post by Jason »

Hey there, welcome to my Dump.

9/5/2013 - I'm trying to get my forms right and foreshortening. Can anyone tell me what can I improve about her?
It's alright if it needs a major redo, I really want to get this artwork correct.
Attachments
jeancg1.png
Innomen Team Presents: Sierra Ops

We're a very small team of developers from all over the world, with most of the founding members in Philippines.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Jason's D

#2 Post by chocojax »

I'm pretty bad at foreshortening, so I hope this helps slightly, haha. Remember to use a ref/ask your friend to pose for you (even if it's a guy! You need to see how the forms are etc).

- Her boobs look like they're at a much higher angle than everything else, ie, comparing her face to her boobs. There's this (sorry for the thumbnail, you can still tell though) where her boobs are ~the same angle, but her face is entirely different. I didn't notice it at the start, so, it's not that huge of a deal, (imo).
- Arms seem a little bit short when compared to the main body (looks fine when compared to the head). Although, the arms may be some distance away from the body, which would explain it. In that case, ignore my red-line. :P
- I think that strand of hair would be draped over her (our right) left boob, rather than just randomly being between the two (which makes the form more flat, imo).
- Her head looks entirely fine (I think), but it's good to see if you can draw something like in my redline at a slight angle, so that it adds to the illusion of foreshortening, etc.
- Her right eye should be slightly longer, 'cause it looks strange at the moment.
Attachments
womyn.png
womyn-2.png

Jason
Regular

#3 Post by Jason »

Awesomesauce! I'll upload a fixed version once I'm back home. I'll be sure to credit you in my game for this! :)
I tried using a 3d model but only for the arms so it turned out too short. I guess that was a bad idea, I'll definitely take note of your corrections here. Thanks for spending time correcting my work, truly appreciate it!

We're a very small team of developers from all over the world, with most of the founding members in Philippines.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by chocojax »

aaaaaaaa you don't have to credit me
You're welcome! Glad I could help. :>

Jason
Regular

#5 Post by Jason »

pilot-sketch.jpg
I'm trying the coil technique for the foreshortening, couldn't find a similar reference neither. :(
Any help would be appreciated!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by chocojax »

Tried redlining it a couple of times, but it kept coming out wrong 'cause hands are really hard, especially hard in dynamic perspective, okay loool.

The arms look perfectly fine when you block out the hands, so that's good.

Here are two photos that I took of my hand. It's always gud to have a phone that can take pictures from the front. Sorry about the quality, but hopefully it helps you out a bit. I can take more if you need it in a different pose, though.

**Edit: By the way, I found it much easier to draw her hands upside-down. Just in case you didn't try, try it! (Or, it could just be that I'm not used to drawing hands that are turned in a different direction than usual, lool)
Attachments
somehand2.jpg
somehand2.jpg (31.34 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
somehand.jpg
somehand.jpg (25.92 KiB) Viewed 2478 times

Jason
Regular

#7 Post by Jason »

Wow, thanks for the help again Choco, the hand references definitely helped a lot!

Hm, I'll consider the reverse direction for the hands, thanks for the suggestion! (sorry for late reply, was too busy yesterday D: )

Armee
Veteran

#8 Post by Armee »

Oh oh! I spotted you on dA when I went through Sona's fanar. I adored your pieces of Kayle and Sona and as a Sona/LoL player I appreciate there are artists who play LoL too!

ktalkimist
Veteran

#9 Post by ktalkimist »

Jason wrote:
pilot-sketch.jpg
I'm trying the coil technique for the foreshortening, couldn't find a similar reference neither. :(
Ikaw pala gumawa nito? It's for that guy hiring new artists, right?

Jason
Regular

#10 Post by Jason »

Armee wrote:Oh oh! I spotted you on dA when I went through Sona's fanar. I adored your pieces of Kayle and Sona and as a Sona/LoL player I appreciate there are artists who play LoL too!
Thanks. LoL's a very art inspiring game in my opinion. I love Sona too as a support. :)
ktalkimist wrote:
Jason wrote:
The attachment pilot-sketch.jpg is no longer available
Ikaw pala gumawa nito? It's for that guy hiring new artists, right?
Yes, it's for Michael. Wow, I've never updated my thread so I didn't know I got new replies here.

Here's one of my few recent works... Most are personal purposes (birthday gift and a fan art for a friend). I tried making a starfield, I still have a lot of experimenting to do!
Attachments
Mike.png
Winter.jpg
starbase.jpg

Jason
Regular

#11 Post by Jason »

Yes, I'm not the sprite artist of Sierra Ops, otherwise they'll look as messy as this one...
Attachments
claine-shorter.png