The resources goes where?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ginanubismon

The resources goes where?

#1 Post by ginanubismon »

I was wondering since I have been trying out Ren'py for a while now and figured out how to access the script editor but after typing up a code I tried to open the game folder then execute(sp?) the program nothing happens, no screen, code, nothing.

I am trying to figure out where does the resources like the main script , pictures that the game needs and sound to play goes?
Tragically a G.O.M.E.R. - Get Out of My Emergency Room.

Dis
Regular
Projects: Angel of Love,Forgotten,War's Fate, D

Re: The resources goes where?

#2 Post by Dis »

In the new Ren’py with launcher, you can start a project, by starting the launcher, clicking on the new project, selecting template, and giving a name to your project. Now, Ren’py creates a directory named as you have typed in. Inside this, it creates a directory called Game. In this directory go the resources, like pictures, audio, movie. Within the launcher, there is then the Change Theme option; with it you can change the color of your novel’s themes color. With the launchers Edit Script option, you can edit the script of your novels story part. To edit the interface, like adding more or taking away buttons from the main menu, or changing the main menus text, you need to go into the Common directory and edit these files: 00gamemenu.rpy; 00mainmenu.rpy

If I have written something wrong, or have left something out, sorry.
And I apologize if my explanation is somewhere not understandable, I'm from Hungary.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Project D:AoL
Special Thanks for their motivation and support to: BCS, Enerccio, mikey, monele, PyTom, yvanc, mugenjohncel, Sai

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The resources goes where?

#3 Post by monele »

When you unpack RenPy, you get a new Renpy-someversion folder. To make a new game project with it, the best thing is to launch renpy.exe and make a "New Project". It will create a subfolder with the name you give. Look in the Renpy folder, it should be there, among other renpy and game projects folders. If you go in any game folder, you'll find... well a "game" folder. And inside it, you'll find the scripts and data files. That's where you want to put all your pictures, sounds, music... and new scripts if needed.