Stat notifications in visual novels

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lime-Kiwi
Completed: Acrimenthums, A Nutcracker Tale, Falling Star, The Pendant Guarden
Projects: TBD...
Organization: kipursuit
Deviantart: utemi
Github: ollie-jam
itch: kipursuit

Stat notifications in visual novels

#1 Post by Lime-Kiwi »

When you're making a choice in a visual novel which involves stat raises (+10 strength, +wisdom), do you like to visually see them after each action how much is raised? Or let it be a surprise, where the amount raised is a surprise near the end? (This is more of a preference, but which appeals more.)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Stat notifications in visual novels

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

I think some randomness is acceptable. This could be a way to make sure the gameplay isn't too predictable.

But I also think that too much randomness can be frustrating. If each stat change is a variable number, then let it be a range (say, 3 to 6 points). I don't think the player should get zero points or a penalty just because they have bad luck.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#3 Post by Katta »

That depends on what you're trying to achieve, if it's more of a strategy like you know you'll need that amount of this stat at this date, then better to show the stats and how they are raised. If you want a classic VN without gameplay where your choices affect the outcome, then why calling it stats when players won't even know they are there? If you don't show that stats raise but the player can check it on the stats screen, it just makes things a bit more difficult for the player with the same result (the player can calculate what caused the raise), so it's better to show it. I can't think of a good example where you don't show the stats and the player doesn't know they are there, but they somehow appear in the end. And random parameters just result in constant reloading.

TehTumbleweed

#4 Post by TehTumbleweed »

I think there are certain traits you should show for sure, if you are building a stat raising game, then that is rather crucial to the plot/ending. However, I think there are certain things that you could keep hidden, a surprise for the player, if you will. I love the idea of hidden stats (that players can figure out). For example, say an article of clothing or a personal item on your MC would temporarily raise a particular stat, that is something an observant player would notice, but it's not necessarily crucial for the stat. So that way unobservant players aren't deprived of anything.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#5 Post by Destiny »

I could imagine something simliar to The Walking Dead.
You maybe have a +5 better relationship with that person or got better +10 in that.
But instead of putting out plain numbers (which might actually ruin the game, as some players might replay one scene until they get the best score, defeating the system)
I had that with "Coming out on Top" from Obscura, once the points were shown. I ignored the possibility to figure it out myself and just became a point hunter.
Maybe just give a very fague hint instead?

Something like "You feel smarter now" instead of "wisdom + 10" or "Cody seems to like you more" instead of "Cody friendship +10".
People see that they have done something positive without getting into "I need as many points as possible!" mode ;)

If those stats are needed for some kind of fighting simulation, then you should of course show that, as it is crucial for the player to know how strong he is.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Lime-Kiwi
Completed: Acrimenthums, A Nutcracker Tale, Falling Star, The Pendant Guarden
Projects: TBD...
Organization: kipursuit
Deviantart: utemi
Github: ollie-jam
itch: kipursuit

#6 Post by Lime-Kiwi »

Thanks for the advice everyone!

play my latest vns: https://kipursuit.itch.io/
Lime-Kiwi - kipursuit

RotGtIE
Veteran

#7 Post by RotGtIE »

If a game runs on numbers, then those numbers should either be completely visible to the player at all times or they should be a hidden mechanic that the player should be completely unaware of. So if the player is meant to know that they have stats or other numbers affecting their play, then they should be notified every time any of the numbers they are expected to be tracking are changed for any reason. If not, then those numbers should be so well-concealed that the player should never come to question whether they even exist.

Jate
Regular
Deviantart: Jate8D

#8 Post by Jate »

I was wondering this exact question myself, as I'm working on a d20 sort of project. But it feels like a very personal preference, so I decided to pose the question to the player instead of the forum. At the beginning of the game when divvying out your stats and such I included a question on whether the player would like to see their stat changes and roll results, and implementing it was as simple as a flag and an if statement after the relevant choices.

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#9 Post by Kinmoku »

Personally I prefer no stats, as I find they break the ambience some what. However, some kind of indication is usually good... e.g. in a dating game, where you say the wrong thing to a character you like, they make a sad/ angry face - so you know where you went wrong.

I'm having the same issue with my game right now, as I know some people do like stats. For my romance trees, I'm having it as a surprise (like I mentioned above), but I also have healthiness and career stats. I'm tempted to show these stats somehow but not sure how.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#10 Post by runeraccoon »

Personally I always love the way Harvest Moon games handles it, showing different dialogues, different reactions.

Also different stage in relationship (if stat point is friendship/love), different face when they greet you.

Pretty awesome. :D

If it's a standard RPG raising/dating sim, when you, say, raise strength/intelligence you could make people comment "you look stronger/smarter now!" once you reach some point in the stat. It's pretty rewarding and organic without you having to check your stat window every scene, I guess.

KuroOneHalf
Regular
Completed: Cuttlebone
Projects: Somewhere In The Shade
Deviantart: KuroOneHalf
itch: kuroonehalf

#11 Post by KuroOneHalf »

Just chipping in my two cents: @Destiny mentions a good example of a way to approach this, which is indicating stat increase or decreases without specifically giving out the math.

However, when it comes to point increases relative to route branching (ie. needing to have X positive points with a character to be able to enter their path at a certain point in the story), I personally find that I prefer it without that. Even the "X will remember that" popups in The Walking Dead pulled me straight out of the experience every time. It stopped feeling like I, as Lee, was having a genuine relationship with these characters, and more like I was playing this flowchart of responses. Keep that stuff behind curtains, I say.