Lyric: Lamia's Daughter (Low fantasy, dark 1920's romance)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
vaguelyfamiliar

Lyric: Lamia's Daughter (Low fantasy, dark 1920's romance)

#1 Post by vaguelyfamiliar »

I've been working on the first chapter of my first attempt at a Ren'Py game, and now that the chapter is about 75% complete, I wanted to overcome my shyness and get my feet wet posting in the community. I've been lurking for ages, though!

For now, the game is in black and white, has no soundtrack, but contains a large number of dialogue choices (no auto-dialogue is used for the main character. If you've played Mass Effect or Fallout, I'm going for a similar branching dialogue style.) Romance is possible with several characters, but happy endings are few and far between. My focus is more on telling an interesting story with romantic elements than on a "chase the guy" pure romance.

I'd like to gauge the interest level for a project like this (though I'll release it even if I'm the only one who ever plays it. :)) I'm particularly curious if the game being in black and white and/or the art style will be a deal breaker for people. I'm not the best or fastest artist, and though color may be an option some day, right now my time is limited and I'd rather get the game finished with line art than not at all.

Title: Lyric: Lamia's Daughter

Story: Players take the role of Josephine Carroway, a young woman who has been confined to the remote Olvido Sanatorium against her will since she was a child. The False Doctors who run the hospital claim she poses a danger to society due to a supernatural "condition" inherited from her mother, who was a literal femme fatale. When she is offered a deadly deal by the Head Physician himself, will Josephine decide that freedom is worth the life of a stranger?

Setting: Olvido Sanatorium is a secretive compound disguised as a tuberculosis treatment center deep in the Arizona desert. An hour's drive away is Lyric, a mining town riding high on copper ore and liquor bootlegged across the border. The Threnody Pit Mine yawns south of town, and the dynamite blasting away day and night has made Lyric a literal boom town. This mine has quickly gained fame for its seemingly endless veins of copper with a dash of gold, and notoriety for the bizarre accidents and misfortunes that have plagued the miners and townspeople since the ground was first disturbed.

Characters:
Josephine Carroway
The protagonist of the game. Josephine spent her childhood moving from place to place with her beloved mother, who was involved with a series of wealthy men who all seemed to end up dead. When Josephine's mother mysteriously disappeared, strange men posing as doctors took Josephine away to Olvido Sanatorium. The False Doctors claim Josephine has the same ability to seduce men at will and sap their vitality away to nothing, and have therefore placed her in indefinite quarantine.

Everett St. John
An orderly at Olvido Sanatorium, Everett has been guarding and caring for Josephine for several years. He believes strongly in the hospital's mission, and that he is protecting Josephine from the world just as much as the other way around. Though he has never looked her directly in the eyes, he is clearly smitten with his "patient." His infatuation is rather painful in light of his responsibility to put Josephine down with deadly force if she were ever to break the rules of her confinement.

Lorenzo Espinoza
A bootlegger with a dangerous air, Lorenzo encounters Josephine completely by chance outside the Sanitorium. Or so he says, though he seems to know a suspicious amount about both Josephine and the False Doctors.

Cassius "Cash" Bashir
The newly rich owner of the Threnody Pit Mine, Cassius Bashir is still adjusting to money, popularity, and attention from women. With a reputation as unusually fair in his dealings with miners and their families, Cash is considered something of an odd duck by the socialites and old money who nonetheless faithfully attend the lavish parties at his estate. His refusal to sell the mine has earned the ire of Olvido's upper management, though why they are so intent on obtaining control of a copper mine is anybody's guess.

Screenshots:
Josephine's room/cell (I'm still working on the GUI, fonts, etc. Not my strong point.)

Dialogue response choices. There are multiple choices for every response from Josephine, and you can define her personality through your choices.

Olvido's gardens. Dialogue choices have the potential to change how characters feel about Josephine as well as provide or withhold information, influencing their actions later on.

------------------
Feedback is very, very welcome!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Lyric: Lamia's Daughter (Low fantasy, dark 1920's romanc

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Welcome to the forums C:. I'm glad you decided to register.

This sounds fantastic and I love the look :D. I don't mind that it's black and white at all. It fits well with the old-timey style of the game. Cassius and Everett are two names that I've always loved by the way X3.

I'm really looking forward to trying this out.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I love the concept, the story, and the art style! It's always refreshing to see really creative things like this. :)

I can't wait to see what happens with your project!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

Go for it. NEVER worry about whether people will like something or not. There will ALWAYS be detractors.
I made a VN in monochrome, and NOBODY complained about that aspect of it.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Cafechan
Regular
Completed: algormortis
Projects: The Duenkhy, Lights on Stillwater Hill

#5 Post by Cafechan »

The premise is extremely unique and interesting!! And your lineart is GORGEOUS, wowie. The cast is all very eye-catching... I can't wait to play it!!!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#6 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Interesting idea for a VN and I like looking at your line art.

Kay

#7 Post by Kay »

Just wanted to say that this looks great, and that the premise is interesting. I'd totally play it! Also, I second the comment about not worrying about the reception and just going ahead and making the game that you want to make.
Image credit to Murry Lancashire.

treespirits

#8 Post by treespirits »

I randomly found this post when googling "fallout style dialogue" and "ren'py". This looks amazing! I love the interactivity and evolving personality, I was going to do the same in a vn I'm trying to make. I know this post is almost a year old but I wanted to encourage you to continue and complete this interesting looking game!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#9 Post by Harliqueen »

This sounds really interesting! The art style is gorgeous, and I think it works well in black and white :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)