Have a question ?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Sachiyone

Have a question ?

#1 Post by Sachiyone »

Sorry >/////< My English language is not good `
Err. How can I add Op Movies in Edit Script ? :?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Have a question ?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Welcome.

You can play an mpeg-1 movie using the renpy.movie_cutscene function:

Code: Select all

$ renpy.movie_cutscene('opening.mpg')
This can be placed anywhere. If you want it to play before the main menu, you can place it inside a splashscreen function:

label splashscreen:
    return
You could also place it after the 'start' label, so it plays only when the user first starts the game.

label start:

"This is the first line of the rest of the game."   
I hope this helps.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sachiyone

#3 Post by Sachiyone »

Thankyou Verymuch ^^/ :D :D

vlint
Regular

#4 Post by vlint »

PyTom wrote:Welcome.

You can play an mpeg-1 movie using the renpy.movie_cutscene function:
You can have movies inside Ren'Py? That's pretty cool—it would be especially useful for introductions (you know, how video games tend to have high quality video introductions).

Regular
Projects: Ren'Py Russian distributive

#5 Post by 000 »

Hmm, maybe it is not an good place, but I always thought it would be good to have a place for short/noobish questions.
What are you think about using this thread for that purpose? Or creating a special thread?
<feels sowwy for his Engrish>

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

It's much better to have one question per thread, or at least a small number of related questions. Having one giant thread will make it nigh impossible for people searching the forum to find the answer to their question. Also, it's very hard in advance to figure out which questions will have short answers.

Threads are cheap.

Regular

#7 Post by 000 »

Well, I meant reeeally simple questions, like: "How to make Ren'Py show images?" or "My Ren'Py shows question marks instead of windows title. What I did wrong?" and such.
Having thread per question really helps only if there is a set way to name threads which everyone follows without exeptions. Or else it would be nightmare to find an answer on a question...

Actually, I really need an answer on second question. Is it really worth whole thread? :oops:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

For such small questions, I'd suggest putting them in a FAQ on the wiki. Or... maybe we could have a "simple questions" thread but it would be important to transfer the solved ones in the wiki.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#9 Post by JQuartz »

000 wrote:"My Ren'Py shows question marks instead of windows title. What I did wrong?"
I think you can only use unicode for the title. Try sticking this in your script.rpy. If it still shows questions marks then you'll have to wait for someone else to answer your question.

init:
    $ config.window_title = u"A Ren'Py Game"
Which version are you using anyway? What font are you using?
000 wrote:Well, I meant reeeally simple questions, like: "How to make Ren'Py show images?
Well you can search through the documentation (there's a search function at the wiki - http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... e%20Manual). That's what I always do. When I can't find the answers there I'll post the question here. Easy and short questions generally are quick to be answered.
000 wrote:Or else it would be nightmare to find an answer on a question...
Just ask the question again. If someone remembers where it is, they'll probably give you an url.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

The question marks in the title issue was solve in 6.4, IIRC.

Mikan
Veteran

#11 Post by Mikan »

A post unrelated to the first post, but:
I've only been around for a few days, but judging by the amount of traffic on the board, I don't think having a separate FAQ is critical to Ren'Py's community.

It'd be a cool thing to have around to document commonly asked questions (I, for one, would love to read something like that, kind of like how I played the demo game for renpy several times and still play it nowadays as a reference), but it should not serve as a total replacement for what may be considered "simple" questions.

Regular

#12 Post by 000 »

JQuartz wrote:Well you can search through the documentation (there's a search function at the wiki - http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... e%20Manual). That's what I always do. When I can't find the answers there I'll post the question here. Easy and short questions generally are quick to be answered.
Well, as I can see, some people (really small group, but still) don't. Maybe it would benifit to put an url to http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... e%20Manual somewhere at the top of this section? :)
PyTom wrote:The question marks in the title issue was solve in 6.4, IIRC.
ORLY?

And I use 6.4.0.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#13 Post by JQuartz »

000 wrote:Well, as I can see, some people (really small group, but still) don't
I don't think it's really that small, I myself didn't know the existance of the wiki and the documentation until 3 weeks into making games (I think it was monele that gave me the Url)...
000 wrote:Maybe it would benifit to put an url to http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... e%20Manual somewhere at the top of this section?
Feel free to do so but personally I prefer to tell them about the url when they ask questions. It's a good icebreaker.
000 wrote:ORLY?
I think you don't have the proper fonts installed since it's not roman alphabets (I think it's thai)
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Regular

#14 Post by 000 »

JQuartz wrote:I think you don't have the proper fonts installed since it's not roman alphabets (I think it's thai)
Its Russian.
And I use official russian version of Windows.
What fonts could cause that?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#15 Post by PyTom »

The two questions are: What is the default language for windows set to, and what font are you using for the window manager title bar?