Help: Backgrounds/Landscapes!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
happytriangles
Projects: N/A atm
Deviantart: boundaryinbetween

Help: Backgrounds/Landscapes!

#1 Post by happytriangles »

Hi y'all!

So I've been trying to improve my background and landscape art for a long while, and I just can't seem to get it right! I feel like I am able to draw things suck as trees, objects, flower, people, singular things like that but when it comes to painting landscapes and such I feel like I'm missing something...

Currently the process I go through is finding multiple references, focus on one, sketch, then paint. The main problem I have is with the coloring. I don't really make my own palettes, my color choices always become so muddy so I use palettes on colourpod (tumble) as well as use the color dropper tool on photos with colors I find pleasing.

Here's two examples, the first my best and the second... not so good.

(Please don't mind the not so well drawn character in the second, I kind of rushed him since I got so exhausted from drawing the landscape- seriously I spent hours on it and just got so frustrated!)

So, I'm mostly just asking for advice on how I can improve! What is your process and how did you develop your skills? Even if you struggle with it, I'd love to know what you're struggling on as well!

Thanks~!

Edit: I added the actual file for the first one since it didn't show up very large XD
Attachments
The image I want to by on the main menu for my Homestuck fan-game
The image I want to by on the main menu for my Homestuck fan-game

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

Re: Help: Backgrounds/Landscapes!

#2 Post by Tempus »

My suggestion would be to focus on one thing from one of the fundamentals (that is, the foundational building blocks of art). This isn't a comprehensive list but it's a start. Notice how the points overlap a little with each other.
  • Perspective
    One-, two-, and three-point linear perspective, atmosphere (value range & colour saturation), line weight, detail reduction, repetition, comparison to humans (for sense of scale). Together these create an illusion of depth. Just like lines narrow to a vanishing points resulting in objects seeming further away, the spectrum of value narrows & saturation drops (with a bias toward cooler colours in naturalistic scenes) for things farther in the distance.
  • Value
    Composition, focal points, lighting, perspective. Value has a lot of uses. The human eye can detect value much more readily than colour. A good background works if you take the colour out, but the reverse isn't true. That's why value is more important than colour.
  • Composition
    This is more or less about directing the viewers eye and ensuring the scene is not confusing to look at. You use all the other fundamentals at your disposal to create a composition. You may be familiar with the rule of thirds or the golden ratio. They're a start but don't settle with them. Also be aware that they're totally arbitrary. One day someone decided that the golden ratio was magic, but it's bullshit. It's one tool of many. A lot of good compositions feature what I'm going to call on the spot "flow"—that is, elements (particularly contours formed by the silhouettes of things) curve into one another gracefully, but not usually in parallel. Often there's another lesser contour (that is, it's less prominent so that it's not a stalemate for attention) that contradicts the primary direction. A common goal of a composition is to try to keep the viewers focus from going off the canvas using value and flow. I could go on.
  • There was going to be another point here, but I navigated to a different tab and forgot what it was.
  • Colour
    Colour isn't nearly as important as you think—it's the icing on the cake. A whole bowl of icing would make you sick without the less sugary part. As with all fundamentals, contrast between colours draws attention. Depending on style you may want to unify the palette by mixing in another colour . If you put a layer atop the others and set it to "color" in Photoshop (GIMP and other programs will have an equivalent) it'll change the hue and the saturation. Hue is... difficult to describe. If you freeze value and saturation in place, you're left with hue. If you freeze value and hue in place you're left with saturation. Colour is both hue and saturation.
That list is a mess and incomplete, but a starting point. So back to my suggestion: chip away at these things little by little as you please. Choose a single thing from a single area, say, one-point perspective, and try that. You don't need to attempt all of perspective at once. Maybe you get the hang of one-point perspective then get interested in something else, like ... something else. It's late.

Other than that, watch a lot of tutorials by other artists on the thing you're trying out. Watch, read, observe! Oh, and learn keyboard short-cuts for your art program of choice too (again, one at a time). Also, sorry my reply isn't direct feedback on your work!
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

happytriangles
Projects: N/A atm
Deviantart: boundaryinbetween

#3 Post by happytriangles »

Wow, this is fantastic, thank you so much!! Yeah I think I was working on too many things at once and this really helps give me some direction. No one has told me about the color vs. black & white thing so I think I'll focus on developing on my composition (or perhaps perspective?) with that first!

Ah, I saw some of your backgrounds; man you are absolutely incredible, and it really means a lot you took the time to give me this advice >u< no worries about the list being a mess, it's probably the best advice I've gotten about background art in a long, long time (or, really, art in general).

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#4 Post by sendo »

To add to Tempus' excellent advice, have many 'inspirations'. This could be an artist that does composition really well, or someone who really nails the color, etc. Study their art. Try to break their art down (why did this composition work, why do these colors work together, etc). In short, learn from the masters. I found that doing this improved my critical thinking and understanding on the subject I'm trying to study.

I suggest studying perspective first. Even if you have a nice composition or value structure or color harmony, once the perspective is off, everything automatically feels wrong. Our eyes are trained since birth to see good perspective and people can easily spot bad perspective even if they don't have any background in art. Perspective (along with other art fundamentals) is a way to convince the human eye that a flat image exists in a real three-dimensional space.
happytriangles wrote:I feel like I am able to draw things suck as trees, objects, flower, people, singular things like that but when it comes to painting landscapes and such I feel like I'm missing something...
happytriangles wrote:The main problem I have is with the coloring. I don't really make my own palettes, my color choices always become so muddy so I use palettes on colourpod (tumble) as well as use the color dropper tool on photos with colors I find pleasing.
This is because it's easy to isolate one subject matter. When dealing with landscapes or environments, you're dealing with multiple subject matters in a vast space, and in effect, there are more variables in play to make a good scene. Again, fundamentals help with this. But I suggest trying to get the perspective down first, don't add colors or anything, just nail down the perspective. Once you're done with that, you can now start to think about colors. Colors is a bit tricky, and it took me a long time to really figure this out (and I'm still studying it) but in short, colors all depend on the light source.

Remember, anything we can SEE is hit by light (either natural or artificial) and light dictates how your colors should look like. Let's take a common subject, trees, or more specifically, the leaves of a tree. If you think about its color, you would normally say its green. But that's what it looks like in a clean lighting condition (i.e. clear day no clouds). If you look at those leaves again during sunset, they won't look all too green anymore. At night, they have darker colors.

Now for fun, let's say our landscape painting is a mountain with trees. It's the middle of the night, no moon lighting our scene, no artificial light, and let's just say that there's a big fire in the forest. Now, what do you think is the color of the leaves?

That's a rhetorical question. My point is to get you to think that color is produced by the presence of light. Don't pick colors based on just what you think they are, always consider what the light source is, where it's positioned in relation to the subject matter, the color of the lightsource itself, the intensity of the light, the environment of the subject matter, if there are any obstructions in that light source, and a few million other things.

When studying light, look at how real light works. Study photos, study what you see. I especially like looking at professional photographers' pictures because they are really good at capturing the right lighting. I also think it's worthy to study stylized art (like anime) because you're looking at somebody's own understanding and application of lighting. Ghibli works are a goldmine for both studying and inspiration (and entertainment) IMO.

tl;dr Study the fundamentals, study other artists, and study how light works. And the last thing I want to say is to practice! You won't master these concepts without real practice and study. I haven't even touched about how light reacts to different materials (i.e. wood, glass, rock, etc) but I'll leave that up to you to study. Take one step at a time :)
Finished VNs:
Image Image