Gundam 00

For the rest of your otaku life.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Gundam 00

#1 Post by Samu-kun »

This is definately one of my favorite animes of the season. It seems that the quality of the storytelling actually increases with each episode that they release. ^_^ My favorite characters/mechas would definately have to be Allelujah Haptism and his Kyrios and Graham and his Flagge Fighter. They're both such likeable characters. ^_^ Too bad there's a distinct lack of lolis in this series... Although Felt and Christina might qualify.

Nena has the possibility to become the most obnoxious female Gundam character since Flay of SEED. Gah... I totally bet she'll destroy Exia around episode 25 and Se-chan will get a new, more badass Gundam, a la Freedom, when the new season starts.

And *shocku* at the events of episode 18. Woah... What an unpredictable turn of events. And how tragic... Only anime can actually make such an emotional event happen. I think we should all have a funeral for Louise's left hand. *wipes away tear*

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

Re: Gundam 00

#2 Post by Efreet »

Samu-kun wrote:And *shocku* at the events of episode 18. Woah... What an unpredictable turn of events. And how tragic... Only anime can actually make such an emotional event happen. I think we should all have a funeral for Louise's left hand. *wipes away tear*
Lol in a way, yes it is traumatic and yet, I do have to wonder, why are they there in the first place?

"To show us how war can affect ordinary people?" Well okay then... But then it's all a bit of a coincidence with Louise and Saji...

Louise just so happens to lose her family, as well as her hand which cannot be repaired due to the Gundam's weaponry.. (Radiation? How does that stop stem cells? What about a robotic hand?!)

But putting those nitpicks aside, I agree, it's rather enjoyable - better than SEED Destiny..

Nebi
Regular
Projects: Greaves

#3 Post by Nebi »

Meh. Louise can grow a new hand. :P

I like the series too, for various reasons. Of course there are your clichés and moments of Zen but I take the final product at face value. I agree that the Trinity trio were a bit out of place; Setsuna should have punched her in the face when she took advantage of him. :E

Bandai should be the one distributing the series in America, though I suspect they will censor half the content if broadcast on television.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

Speaking of Gundam 00, Gundam 00 is the first gundam that appear in HD format. I understand the basic of making a HD movie (just use a HD camera), but how to make a HD anime? Is there any changes in drawing techniques/media?

Sorry if my question is a bit out of the topic.

Efreet
Regular

#5 Post by Efreet »

LVUER wrote:Speaking of Gundam 00, Gundam 00 is the first gundam that appear in HD format. I understand the basic of making a HD movie (just use a HD camera), but how to make a HD anime? Is there any changes in drawing techniques/media?

Sorry if my question is a bit out of the topic.
Hmm.. I too wondered about that for a while...

I don't think the drawing technique would be too different - generally all Anime is drawn in cell animation, and depending if it was recorded on film. I suppose HD just means how many more pixels they can fit into one frame to make it ultra clear..

Take for example, Akira is cell animated on 70 mm film and has been released as HD. Looking at the quality and detail of the animation, it's a worthy buy.

Gundam 00 would roughly be the same, though I would expect more detail on the mechs during the fight scenes.

Jake
Support Hero

#6 Post by Jake »

Efreet wrote:Take for example, Akira is cell animated on 70 mm film and has been released as HD. Looking at the quality and detail of the animation, it's a worthy buy.
For clarification - cel animated on painted cels which are notably larger, and then the stack of cels which make up each frame is photographed onto 70mm film - so there's more than enough detail in the original to be projected out to HD resolution.

As it goes, though, I was under the impression that a lot of TV anime these days was produced by the so-called 'digital cel' method, which as I understand it means most of the work is done on computers, there's no physical originals or film involved, it's just rendered out to a digital video for broadcast? That would mean that it's suddenly more relevant what resolution the production team work at, otherwise blowing it up to HD might just result in the same scaling quality problems you get from an upscaling DVD player.

(I seem to recall DaFool has mentioned working in an animation production house before - maybe he can shed some light?)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Efreet
Regular

#7 Post by Efreet »

Jake wrote:
Efreet wrote:Take for example, Akira is cell animated on 70 mm film and has been released as HD. Looking at the quality and detail of the animation, it's a worthy buy.
For clarification - cel animated on painted cels which are notably larger, and then the stack of cels which make up each frame is photographed onto 70mm film - so there's more than enough detail in the original to be projected out to HD resolution.

As it goes, though, I was under the impression that a lot of TV anime these days was produced by the so-called 'digital cel' method, which as I understand it means most of the work is done on computers, there's no physical originals or film involved, it's just rendered out to a digital video for broadcast? That would mean that it's suddenly more relevant what resolution the production team work at, otherwise blowing it up to HD might just result in the same scaling quality problems you get from an upscaling DVD player.

(I seem to recall DaFool has mentioned working in an animation production house before - maybe he can shed some light?)
That would seem to be the case, cell animation would be far too time consuming and costly, whereas digital animation is cheaper, and offers shortcuts.

By shortcuts, I would imagine, say a digital model (look at SRW OG) is created and could be reused within the animation without constantly having to "redraw" it and limiting it to the original drawn angle.

But this is just my speculation.

Nebi
Regular

#8 Post by Nebi »

Lockon! Lockon!

-sigh-

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#9 Post by Samu-kun »

Awww... It looks like he really died. o_o;

Poor Tieria, he lost his lover... -_-;;

I guess Nena will replace his place on the team now... Man, I hope she gets less annoying... And less liable to randomly start shooting people too.

I wonder if this really is the end of Ali Al-Sarshes. Somehow, I have a creeping feeling that we haven't seen the last of him...

Nebi
Regular

#10 Post by Nebi »

Ali Al-Sarshes can kiss my boot. :P

I think Nena will go crazy and then Setsuna will have to intercept and b*tch-slap her back to her senses.

Lockon! Lockon!

As a side note, watch the dancin' cast! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIls2e2eU7c

MorphineSoldier
Regular

#11 Post by MorphineSoldier »

Episode 24 news flash:

Lockon Stratos - STILL DEAD.
Along with half of the significant cast members. Seriously - definitely highest body count as of yet, and most of the victims were characters with SPEAKING PARTS!
This space is for rent.
Pocky is valid currency in my country.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#12 Post by Samu-kun »

Nebi wrote:Ali Al-Sarshes can kiss my boot. :P

I think Nena will go crazy and then Setsuna will have to intercept and b*tch-slap her back to her senses.

Lockon! Lockon!

As a side note, watch the dancin' cast! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIls2e2eU7c
Hahahaha. *dances along* XD

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#13 Post by Samu-kun »

Wooahh... So some serious bad crap happened in the last episode.

Poor Haro... I wonder if it's still okay...?

Woah, good thing Feltd is still alive.

What happened to Nena?

Graham Aker will pwn all with his GN-drive enhanced Flag Fighter.

Woah, the UN sure became assholes in the future.

Haven't these folks learned anything from SEED? You NEVER place the bridge of a ship at the very front with only a window to separate it from the enemy! You put the bridge at the very core of the ship so that people can't cheapshot you by flying up right to your face and blast you. I don't even know why you'd even want a window on a bridge on a space ship anyways...

MorphineSoldier
Regular

#14 Post by MorphineSoldier »

Samu-kun wrote: Haven't these folks learned anything from SEED? You NEVER place the bridge of a ship at the very front with only a window to separate it from the enemy! You put the bridge at the very core of the ship so that people can't cheapshot you by flying up right to your face and blast you. I don't even know why you'd even want a window on a bridge on a space ship anyways...
Actually, it's completely necessary. We have windows in the shuttles too for similar reasons. In space there are a SHITLOAD of things that could potentially rain hell on your electronic equipment, particularly things that rely on relay signals of some kind, like radar or camera feed.
Between stars having flares, gravitational pulls from celestial bodies and dust kicked up from space debris your equipment is liable to fuck up at any time. In that situation, the only thing you can rely on is that your engine is working, and you can presumably navigate visually if you have to.

Therefore - Window. Still simple and effective after a whole bunch of centuries.
This space is for rent.
Pocky is valid currency in my country.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#15 Post by Samu-kun »

Fufufufu.

You got too scientifical for a mecha anime. >_>