Share your Creative Hobbies/skills and Endeavors!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

Share your Creative Hobbies/skills and Endeavors!

#1 Post by Kate »

I was curious, personally, what other forms of game-playing, video creation, acting, artwork, composing, writing, etcetera that other VN makers do on a regular basis. For me, I did some acting in high school plays and one video for college about the 7 Gates of Hell in Collinsville, Illinois. I play flute, but not well enough to make music for my own games... I've also self-published a book and when I was in 8th grade I tried training to be a superhero, lol. That's my creative history and my VN-related hobbies. What do others do that relates to your VN skills? (Oh, I'm also a connoisseur of "tycoon" games. :P Those are fun!)
Here's my movie if anyone wants a taste of mediocre but amusing college video production:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG4Ws0ARvBI

Share links if you want to show off some of your other creative endeavors!
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

Re: Share your Creative Hobbies/skills and Endeavors!

#2 Post by kitsubasa »

Aside from VN work; I'm a postgrad media studies student (so I write a decent number of essays on games; currently working on a Borderlands essay), I sew (mostly for cosplay), and I voice-act in a few comic dubs.

Don't have any links for the first two things, but the main group I work with for comic dubbing is here, and if you're scrolling through the page, I appear in Prague Race, Homestuck, Rubyquest, and Monster Pulse.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#3 Post by thebackup »

Majored in arts / technology while in college. Basically that's stuff like web / graphic design, music theory, music creation (using software), drawing, performance art, and the like. Unfortunately, after college I had difficulty finding a job in the field. (I do have a job now that pays fairly well, but not in my preferred field.) That skill set has not gone to waste though. I do like composing original music (check out Cafe Memoria!), as well as composing renditions of game / anime music. And then there's designing web sites from scratch.

I do like to program as well, mostly C#, writing small programs / scripts. Prior to that art major I was a computer science major, but switched because calculus was proving to be a whole different beast compared to the math we're all used to (aka it's confusing and hard).

While the site is pretty much outdated, you can check out the PixaelWorks site for some of my creative history (click image on sig).

E-l337
Regular

#4 Post by E-l337 »

I've been playing video games since I was four years old. I remember the first time I played an NES... god those were magical times. I must've been six when I played the SNES the first time, and realized I was pretty darned good at games.

To say I've played a lot of games is an understatement. I used to be huge into Magic, L5R, and Lord of the Rings. I've played D&D and other tabletop systems for about 15 years now, GM'd and played in so many systems I can't even count them all. I've designed two tabletop systems from scratch (both had... issues), and done a complete overhaul of the d20 Modern system to bring it in line with Pathfinder.

I think the only kinds of games I don't like are sports games. They're boring. But I love playing new stuff.

I spent four years at art school to get a BFA in Computer Sciences, specializing in Computer Animation. I've had a love/hate relationship with writing since I was like... seven? I still do a lot of writing though, and part of that is why I've decided to try and make a VN one of these days.

I also used to play the piano and the saxaphone. Not so much anymore, but I always keep meaning to get myself a nice little digital keyboard I can hook up to my PC. I also did choir stuff for many years?

These days, I mostly play PC/console games, write stories, and pick apart terrible anime. It's been awhile since I had a group come together for the roleplaying games - a friend of mine and I have a few systems we'd love to test some more. One of these days... *sigh*

Needless to say, I have probably far more interests than is healthy for a human being.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#5 Post by Kia »

I'm a gamer and a cheater ^_^, played wow from vanilla till MOP, got kicked from many private servers for hacking into random people's accounts and annoying their friends. have few permanently banned accounts on blizzard for accumulating millions of gold and crippling the auction house. but I'm clean for more than a year now (still have few of my accounts though)
my friends don't play any LAN game with me anymore because they got tired of searching the entire map for the bomb I planted at 00:01 each round :D
my other hobbies are: watching anime to learn Japanese to watch anime, watching 1~3 movies each day, listening to stand-up comedy, playing melodies on my DAW every now and then, recently I created 11 clash of clan accounts... but what I enjoy the most is nothing, doing nothing is the best. too bad I don't have much time for it.

Enigma
Veteran

#6 Post by Enigma »

I play fighting games competitively but mostly ones that no one else plays (skullgirls, arcana heart, and most recently dengeki bunko fighting climax) I might actually play Street Fighter 5 as well. I do the same thing with card games no one plays like Weiss Schwarz (well I also play some hearthstone). I played the Euphonium for about 4 years but I haven't played it forever. I also used to be really big into a game called elsword but the community was just too annoying. I went to college for a year but haven't been able to go back since I just couldn't pay the debts I owed.

Zylinder
Veteran

#7 Post by Zylinder »

Mine's rather flavorless - reading. I've crunched about 400 books per year for 3 years in a row now, but 2/3 of those are just pulp novels and I'm still trying to kick my addiction to reading. I study cinematography in my free time. All those tricks meant to blend seamlessly in feels like modernized magic. Oh, and drawing - but that's more like homework than actual hobby.

In my high school years I used to game 12 hours a day, cutting class so frequently that I was only this side of being suspended (the most math I did was probably trying to figure out how to jimmy the system to maximize my days off), and then when I was in school - Science fiction! Romance novels! Ironically, all that time gaming/reading helps me out a lot more in my chosen field now so *shakes fist* I regret nothing!

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#8 Post by truefaiterman »

I love playing videogames and reading comic/manga. I love watching animation, and my main passions are drawing and voice acting (both things are my current job: I'm still starting with illustration, but I've voiced a few hundreds of commercials, and starred in a few movies and TV series's dubs). I also love writing, and I'm working on a trilogy of books (first one is being revisioned, and the second is WIP). I also practise martial arts, but unfortunately I have little time, and my health doesn't help.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#9 Post by YonYonYon »

I make VNs for fun, and that's why I never finished anything. My main Magnum Opus is my webcomic titled The Heart of Earth. I'm returning to it from a huge pause.
ImageImage

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#10 Post by sake-bento »

I bake a lot and make bento. Anything food-related that's also pretty. I'm also a sucker for dance games - DDR is my jam, ITG is fine too. Lately I've been frittering away my free time on P4: Dancing All Night.

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#11 Post by somestrangecircus »

I write poetry outside of VNs, and I've always wanted to write a novel but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it. I also read a lot of novels and play a number of PC games.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#12 Post by Hijiri »

I'm current studying to get my Associate's Degree in Administration of Justice with a major in Criminalistics. Unlike some of my other classes, the work for these have been rather fun, and I've learned to appreciate some of the work people in this field do. Aside from that, I do enjoy the common game playing and reading.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#13 Post by Rinima »

I wrote loads in Secondary School and read like a manic in Primary School. Now-a-days, I engage in senseless arguments with strangers online to gather info on perspectives so I can make more characters. I also enjoy pixel art and playing RPG's and VN's.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Yoshiii343
Tumblr: yoshiii343
Soundcloud: sredathebreda

#14 Post by Yoshiii343 »

Well, I'm currently studying film so I might share with whatever stuff I produce or helped on to you folks.
I play music (mainly the bass), and played my first proper gig last Saturday. I was told that I did pretty good, so I might consider making that a thing. Rhythm games is also something I do every now and then.
I'm thinking of writing stories or some form of poetry, but...bleh.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#15 Post by Katy133 »

I'm an animator and I also like to play story-heavy indie games. I'm interested in anything animation-related, and I also keep a writing blog where I analyse animated films and series: http://writingsofawanderingwonderer.tumblr.com/
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!