How to make a screen like Christine Love's 2007 CPLL?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sunTARIA
Regular

How to make a screen like Christine Love's 2007 CPLL?

#1 Post by sunTARIA »

Christine Love's CPLL....while I'm not really a fan of the story, I just LOVE the way she made it.
Does anyone know how she made the screen like this?
EXAMPLES OF SCREEN BELOW:
-------------------------------------------------
Please help me? :D :D :D :D

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: How to make a screen like Christine Love's 2007 CPLL?

#2 Post by xela »

Which part confuses you? This is basic screen design without any magic that I can see. You'll have to read the section on screens in the documentation and maybe some guides in the cookbook section.

All this is are 3 fonts, couple of images and a couple of frames filled with Solids.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

sunTARIA
Regular

#3 Post by sunTARIA »

xela wrote:Which part confuses you? This is basic screen design without any magic that I can see. You'll have to read the section on screens in the documentation and maybe some guides in the cookbook section.

All this is are 3 fonts, couple of images and a couple of frames filled with Solids.
I need help on how she made the screen look how it looked; how she had the battery, and textbox big, kinda like the game collage, and how she made the box of the ongoing messages, and how she made the words for the day.I wanna make a game like Collage as well, like she did, but I don't know how to, and I thought her's would be a good example since her game is also based on collage.
Nostalgic Memories are always used as a way to poison and torture others.
--------------
When in doubt if you use these codes to hide your work, people!
build.classify('game/**.png', 'archive')
build.classify('game/**.jpg', 'archive')
build.classify('game/**.rpy', 'archive')
build.classify('game/**.rpyc', 'archive')
build.classify('game/**.mp3', 'archive')
build.classify('game/**.ttf', 'archive')
build.classify('game/**.ogg', 'archive')
build.classify('game/**.ogv', 'archive')
build.classify('game/**.rpy', None)

-----
it'll help you when you need to hide files! :D

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Moved to Ren'Py questions.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by xela »

sunTARIA wrote:but I don't know how to
I figured that but you can learn all about it here (more specifically look for info on Characters, Images, Screens and Fonts. Also Styles if you want code to look clean.). There is nothing here that looks remotely problematic or complicated.

sunTARIA
Regular

#6 Post by sunTARIA »

xela wrote:
sunTARIA wrote:but I don't know how to
I figured that but you can learn all about it here (more specifically look for info on Characters, Images, Screens and Fonts. Also Styles if you want code to look clean.). There is nothing here that looks remotely problematic or complicated.
well um how would i be able to make like a battery and put it on the top but have something for the battery
like you see how there's two "textboxes" the orange one at bottom and then like a tiny one at top and the one at top holds battery and time
how would i be able to do that plz
--------------

-----

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by xela »

I recon battery is just an image he/she drew or otherwise found online (you can create screens and use add statement to put them on the screen). Each Character I was talking about can be styled individually (so two different layouts is not an issue). I guess is that a Solid() colors were used for most of the interface (you get Ren'Py to draw backgrounds for you instead of using images).

So:

- Battery on top = Simple, plain screen with a couple of Solid frames and images.
- Two textboxes = Two Characters with separate styles. (or maybe also unique screens, both ways will work perfectly without glitches).
- "How" == You read the documentation, some examples from cookbook and make an interface. We generally try to answer tricky questions about Ren'Py on this forum, nothing about this interface seems remotely problematic or difficult (as I've told you several times before).

==>
Maybe someone can code this for you, my approach is either to try and guide people in the right direction or to help them if they made genuine effort and for some reason failed (or I have ready to use code for them, which I don't in this case).

sunTARIA
Regular

#8 Post by sunTARIA »

xela wrote:I recon battery is just an image he/she drew or otherwise found online (you can create screens and use add statement to put them on the screen). Each Character I was talking about can be styled individually (so two different layouts is not an issue). I guess is that a Solid() colors were used for most of the interface (you get Ren'Py to draw backgrounds for you instead of using images).

So:

- Battery on top = Simple, plain screen with a couple of Solid frames and images.
- Two textboxes = Two Characters with separate styles. (or maybe also unique screens, both ways will work perfectly without glitches).
- "How" == You read the documentation, some examples from cookbook and make an interface. We generally try to answer tricky questions about Ren'Py on this forum, nothing about this interface seems remotely problematic or difficult (as I've told you several times before).

I don't get the two textbox.How could she use that to make a textbox at the bottom, and a orange line at the top that holds the date and battery? And WIFI signal?

==>
Maybe someone can code this for you, my approach is either to try and guide people in the right direction or to help them if they made genuine effort and for some reason failed (or I have ready to use code for them, which I don't in this case).
--------------

-----

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#9 Post by Donmai »

Happy hollidays, everybody :) . Well, while I endure a lonely Christmas night, let's see what I can do to help here. Hey, sunTARIA, xela really pointed you in the right directions. Christine's game UI is really simple (simpler than what xela thought at first, I might tell you) and, with a little knowledge of screen language, you could have a good start. First thing: to me, the most difficult part was actually finding the game to download, as it's not called CPLL, but "Cell Phone Love Letter" (duh). After finding it, and playing it a bit, I've come to some conclusions. I can't guarantee it was done this way, but I've done some tests and everything seemed to work.
There's no blue or orange screens, I believe, for a simple reason: this game was made when UI functions where "the bees knees". In fact, what we have are a set of bitmap images that take the whole screen, with this layout:
layout.jpg
Here is a blank image so you will have a better idea:
blank-layout.jpg
blank-layout.jpg (8.24 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
To put the elements at the top of the screen, Christine must have used overlay functions. Probably something like the example you will find here: http://www.renpy.org/w/index.php?title= ... s&oldid=32
If you follow the link, you will see another curiosity: that "text" isn't really text, but several png images. Another overlay must have been used for the battery image. Well, today we can do all of this using simple screens (Yay!). So, let's start:
– Create your project (If you haven't done so), go to options.rpy and edit the line that defines the background of the say window:

Code: Select all

## The background of the window. In a Frame, the two numbers
    ## are the size of the left/right and top/bottom borders,
    ## respectively.

style.window.background = Null()
– Now go to the bottom of your screens.rpy and add these two screens (Why not only one? Well... why not two?):

screen show_date:
    text (_date) xanchor .0 yanchor .0 xpos .01 ypos .0

screen show_battery:
    add "battery.png" xanchor 1.0 yanchor .0 xpos 1.0 ypos .0
– Now go to your script.rpy.
At the very top of the script add this line:

default _date = ""
This time we will be using real text to display the date. You can style the text as you prefer. After label start, put these lines:

$ _date = "Feb. 3/08" # just an example
    show screen show_date
    show screen show_battery
Continue your game showing dialogues, new locations, etc. When you want the date to change, just do another

$ _date = "Feb. 3/12" # just an example
No need to show the screen again. It will update automatically.
That's it, basically. Have fun.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

sunTARIA
Regular

#10 Post by sunTARIA »

Donmai wrote:Happy hollidays, everybody :) . Well, while I endure a lonely Christmas night, let's see what I can do to help here. Hey, sunTARIA, xela really pointed you in the right directions. Christine's game UI is really simple (simpler than what xela thought at first, I might tell you) and, with a little knowledge of screen language, you could have a good start. First thing: to me, the most difficult part was actually finding the game to download, as it's not called CPLL, but "Cell Phone Love Letter" (duh). After finding it, and playing it a bit, I've come to some conclusions. I can't guarantee it was done this way, but I've done some tests and everything seemed to work.
There's no blue or orange screens, I believe, for a simple reason: this game was made when UI functions where "the bees knees". In fact, what we have are a set of bitmap images that take the whole screen, with this layout:
layout.jpg
Here is a blank image so you will have a better idea:
blank-layout.jpg
To put the elements at the top of the screen, Christine must have used overlay functions. Probably something like the example you will find here: http://www.renpy.org/w/index.php?title= ... s&oldid=32
If you follow the link, you will see another curiosity: that "text" isn't really text, but several png images. Another overlay must have been used for the battery image. Well, today we can do all of this using simple screens (Yay!). So, let's start:
– Create your project (If you haven't done so), go to options.rpy and edit the line that defines the background of the say window:

## The background of the window. In a Frame, the two numbers
    ## are the size of the left/right and top/bottom borders,
    ## respectively.

– Now go to the bottom of your screens.rpy and add these two screens (Why not only one? Well... why not two?):

screen show_date:
    text (_date) xanchor .0 yanchor .0 xpos .01 ypos .0

screen show_battery:
    add "battery.png" xanchor 1.0 yanchor .0 xpos 1.0 ypos .0
– Now go to your script.rpy.
At the very top of the script add this line:

default _date = ""
This time we will be using real text to display the date. You can style the text as you prefer. After label start, put these lines:

$ _date = "Feb. 3/08" # just an example
    show screen show_date
    show screen show_battery
Continue your game showing dialogues, new locations, etc. When you want the date to change, just do another

$ _date = "Feb. 3/12" # just an example
No need to show the screen again. It will update automatically.
That's it, basically. Have fun.
------------------------------------------

THANK YOU! Everything works, but I have a question.How do I get the textbox to show? Do I put the code in the () after Null? Or.....? Sorry if I sound stupid, I never really used Renpy seriously up until now.
--------------

-----

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers

#11 Post by Donmai »

As I explained, Christine didn't use any background image in her text box. That's exactly what

does, it makes the text box background transparent. If you don't want to follow Christine's exact layout, and you prefer to put a background on your text box, then don't use that line of code. To customize your dialogue box you have the options that are documented here: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... appearance
And no, you never sounded stupid to me. No question is stupid if we don't know the answer. And, as someone else once said in this forum, "the only stupid question is silence". :wink:

sunTARIA
Regular

#12 Post by sunTARIA »

Donmai wrote:As I explained, Christine didn't use any background image in her text box. That's exactly what

does, it makes the text box background transparent. If you don't want to follow Christine's exact layout, and you prefer to put a background on your text box, then don't use that line of code. To customize your dialogue box you have the options that are documented here: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... appearance
And no, you never sounded stupid to me. No question is stupid if we don't know the answer. And, as someone else once said in this forum, "the only stupid question is silence". :wink:
Wait, huh? So how did she get the pictures in the middle, if the top and bottom parts (the top with icons, bottom with text) weren't use as a textbox? It seemed like the orange parts were a textbox, since they didn't move when the pictures in the middle moved.plz help me im so confused
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136850013 ... ed-public/
I took that pic of a example of christine love's textbox thing, but i wanna know how to get that thing to be the textbox instead of me having to put it like a background picture
I gave a link above of what it looks like so far.But I want to know how she was able to put pictures in the middle?
Also, how do I animate the heart? ;-;
Sorry for all the questions, I'm only a 13 year old girl.
--------------

-----

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Donmai »

I think I've explained that before. One character has orange backgrounds, and the other has blue backgrounds. For every location, Christine created an image the size of the screen, where she only changed the midle picture (if it's still hard for you to understand, that's because I'm not an English speaker and sometimes my poor vocabulary isn't enough... :( ), Here, I've captured some images of the game and erased the elements which are not part of them so you can see how they look (click on the image for a full view):
diagram.jpg
Those colored boxes in fact helped to reduce the size of the images in bytes, because of the jpeg compression.
As I told you before, you don't need to do it that way. You can give the textbox any background you like. See here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =51&t=9233
The "pictures in the middle" you are saying are the character sprites? They are png images with a transparent background, probably positioned there using xpos and ypos statements. See the Ren'Py tutorial game to learn how to position things on the screen.
The heart is what we call a click-to-continue icon. You will find a tutorial here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=22196

What's wrong with being a 13 year old girl? Well, I've never been a girl in my life, but I was 13 year old too... 46 years ago :lol: .

sunTARIA
Regular

#14 Post by sunTARIA »

Donmai wrote:I think I've explained that before. One character has orange backgrounds, and the other has blue backgrounds. For every location, Christine created an image the size of the screen, where she only changed the midle picture (if it's still hard for you to understand, that's because I'm not an English speaker and sometimes my poor vocabulary isn't enough... :( ), Here, I've captured some images of the game and erased the elements which are not part of them so you can see how they look (click on the image for a full view):
diagram.jpg
Those colored boxes in fact helped to reduce the size of the images in bytes, because of the jpeg compression.
As I told you before, you don't need to do it that way. You can give the textbox any background you like. See here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =51&t=9233
The "pictures in the middle" you are saying are the character sprites? They are png images with a transparent background, probably positioned there using xpos and ypos statements. See the Ren'Py tutorial game to learn how to position things on the screen.
The heart is what we call a click-to-continue icon. You will find a tutorial here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=22196

What's wrong with being a 13 year old girl? Well, I've never been a girl in my life, but I was 13 year old too... 46 years ago :lol: .
this is my progress so far: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136850013 ... ed-public/
this is how it looks when a message is occuring: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136850013 ... ed-public/
I wanna make the message thing look, more....phonish.
Here's a example of how I wanna make it next to this statement: http://www.user-agent.org/cgi-bin/stuff ... /27/Phones You see the bottom of the phone in that picture at useragent.org? How it has a erase, send, and options mode? and how it highlighted when the person pressed send?
how do i do that? except, instead of the user sending it, for my vn, it shows the protagonist (spoilers ahead!) Arisa clicking it, and it high-lighting? i wanna add those buttons to the bottom of my screen.however, instead of the user being able to click it, when Arisa sends something, it high-lights? as if she actually clicked it?
i must be annoying to you, sorry ;-;
--------------
Also it's hard being 13 unlike others on here i am not used to using computers that advanced ;-;
--------------

-----

sunTARIA
Regular

#15 Post by sunTARIA »

BTW, THAT PINK THING in the first picture of a example of my VN is my laptop's bar color, not in the actually VN, lol.
--------------

-----