Anybody interested in 2d animation for VNs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

Re: Anybody interested in 2d animation for VNs?

#31 Post by Sonomi »

@Fuseblower
@Mammon

I'm very sorry if I appeared to over simplify the matter. :oops: My post was intended for those who want to give 2d animation in VNs a shot but don't understand the basic fundamentals behind how animating works (which is what I went on to explain a bit, because I personally hadn't understood the process at one point). I just thought it was relevant. I did study animation for a while, and I recommend the 12 Principles of Animation to anyone interested in honing the craft.

On the other hand, there are technical terms and tricks for everything. I do believe I mentioned this. As I've learned from my experience learning how to code, jargon certainly has its time and place. It tends to scare off people who are just starting out and need to keep an open mind, gradually learning more about the topic as they explore it on their own. I hope that makes sense and explains the intention behind my previous post.

Everything requires hard work to be great, and that's why I said art is a matter of commitment.

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

Re: Anybody interested in 2d animation for VNs?

#32 Post by Dreamgazer »

Oh, yes, please.

I like animations in VN. I like them a lot. So much that I decided to use them in my current project.
It's nothing sophisticated, but I thought it might breathe some life into an otherwise still character.
Kkoro wrote:Yes! Mahoutsukai no Yoru is a perfect example. For those that don't know it, it's from a visual novel by Type-moon:

https://youtu.be/tLf9oWUe2fc
At the time I was making this, I didn't actually see any of Mahoutsukai no Yoru's CG animations, but oh my goodness, I should have. That is inspirational. It makes me want to experiment with so much more in that medium.

Anyway, if you want to see more of my animations (particularly in higher res than a gif), you can check out my demo here. It's not yet at the sort of industry level I want, but give me time to refine my craft. I'm really more of a writer, but if you ask me, there's nothing you can't achieve with the right amount of effort and passion.

If CG animation is the future of VNs, then let's try to bring it here today! We can do it.