Bug: Crash at menu choice (missing file?)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AnnieTiamat
Regular

Bug: Crash at menu choice (missing file?)

#1 Post by AnnieTiamat »

I posted my game The Passenger (free here!) on itch.io just over a month ago, and I got a bug report today that I've been having a devil of a time figuring out. The user was kind enough to include the entire error log, but I find it particularly confusing since it references an image file that is entirely different from the formatting of every single other file I have, and I can't recall it being referenced anywhere in the game files.

Here's the error log:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Twocolor' <'Image' '_theme_glow/gslider_thumb.png'> <Color #777777> <Color #777777> False>:
  File "game/timer.rpy", line 102, in script
IOError: Couldn't find file '_theme_glow/gslider_thumb.png'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/timer.rpy", line 102, in script
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\ast.py", line 1450, in execute
    choice = renpy.exports.menu(choices, self.set)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\exports.py", line 836, in menu
    rv = renpy.store.menu(items)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\exports.py", line 1023, in display_menu
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='menu', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\ui.py", line 278, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 2496, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 2850, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1916, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 416, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen\renpy.display.render.c:6685)
    rv = render(root, width, height, 0, 0)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 185, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2857)
    rv = d.render(widtho, heighto, st, at)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\layout.py", line 661, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 103, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3319)
    cpdef render(d, object widtho, object heighto, double st, double at):
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 185, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2857)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\layout.py", line 661, in render
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 103, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3319)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\screen.py", line 618, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/accelerator.pyx", line 108, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render (gen\renpy.display.accelerator.c:2027)
    cr = render(child, widtho, heighto, st - self.child_st_base, at)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 1614, in render
    thumb = render(self.style.thumb, thumb_dim, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\im.py", line 478, in render
    im = cache.get(self)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\im.py", line 200, in get
    surf = image.load()
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\im.py", line 987, in load
    surf = cache.get(self.image)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\im.py", line 200, in get
    surf = image.load()
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\display\im.py", line 529, in load
    surf = renpy.display.pgrender.load_image(renpy.loader.load(self.filename), self.filename)
  File "C:\Users\Kenny\AppData\Roaming\itch\apps\the-passenger\The_Passenger-1.0-all\renpy\loader.py", line 536, in load
    raise IOError("Couldn't find file '%s'." % name)
IOError: Couldn't find file '_theme_glow/gslider_thumb.png'.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.11.1749
The Passenger 1.0
Here's the section of my script it claims to be erroring on (the "menu" bit)

Code: Select all

label crash_choice_1:
    $ time = 5
    $ timer_range = 5
    $ timer_jump = 'crash_choice_1_fail'
    show screen countdown
    menu:
        "Adjust Acceleration (custom)":
            hide screen countdown
            jump crash_choice_1_wrong
        "Deploy Landing Gear (custom)":
            hide screen countdown
        "Lock External Flaps (custom)": # correct choice
            hide screen countdown
            jump crash_choice_1_correct
        "Normalize Pressure (custom)":
            hide screen countdown
        "Fix Pitch/Yaw (custom)":
            hide screen countdown
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Re: Bug: Crash at menu choice (missing file?)

#2 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Did you already check your screens or your gui?

The problem might be in gui itself since the counter that'll pop up with your countdown screen will come from that specific section. Use the good old control f to see if it pops up in there. If you do, rename it. Check your gui folder first to make sure you rename it to the matching image. (Since I do not recall there normally being a slider_thumb in the gui.)

Hopefully, this should fix your problem.
ImageImageImageImage

AnnieTiamat
Regular

#3 Post by AnnieTiamat »

I checked pretty much everything - gui, options, screens, etc. - and couldn't find any mention of that file. Additionally I'm a bit perplexed since it seems to imply a folder that I never had - "_theme_glow/" - so I'm not sure what might be happening there.

I should add I also played through the game twice - once just that particular section, another skipping through until I got there - and didn't run into an issue either time. Although that IS just my own version, so that might not be helpful...

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

_theme_glow references the 'old' or legacy renpy, which used to have selectable themes. The files are found where you installed renpy under the common folder.

Which version of ren'py was used to make the game?
6.99.11 as specified?
My guess is that their game is either missing the file (didn't unpack) or the download was corrupt somehow.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

AnnieTiamat
Regular

#5 Post by AnnieTiamat »

Holy dang, you're on the money. Should I encourage them to re-download the game? Should I also update RenPy and make a new build? Both and also another thing?
(btw THANK YOU)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

If you distributed the game as a zip file, I'd suggest you run a CRC check using something like rapid crc, on the master file and get the player to do the same on the copy they downloaded.
If you both get the same hash (the numbers it reports), then the files are identical and a faulty download can be ruled out.
I'd then suggest to try reinstalling the game (or unzipping, using an up-to-date unzipping program) as it might have been the cause.

If neither option fixes the issue and it doesn't affect anybody else, I can only assume it's a hardware issue or other software conflict specific to their device.

You could try building a game from an updated renpy, but personally, since the game was built on such an old version of ren'py, I would not use a newer version, there have been a large number of incompatible changes since the version used and the current version and you may end up with even more problems.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter