Demo gaming

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Demo gaming

#1 Post by mikey »

I'd like to know your opinions about translated demos of b-games. Currently Insani do a lot of them and specifically say there will be no full game translated, just the demo. Whatever the reasons to do this, I am more interested in the player's view.

1. Why would you play a demo of a game type that relies on storytelling when you know, you will never be able to find out how it all went?

2. Would you learn Japanese to play the game fully?

3. Do you see a positive side to an incomplete experience like this. If yes, what is is?

For me, it goes like this...

1. I don't know. Frankly, I wouldn't. Maybe when I feel my life is too complete and that I need to miss out on something...

2. Sorry, no.

3. Educational purposes? Showing how a b-game plays in front of an audience...

So I guess I am an opponent in a way. Still, I'd like to hear how you think about this. Legality issues aside.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

I did play the HaniHani demo, but mostly because I had already seen the TV show. I did get some inspiration for new Ren'Py features from it, but that's a benefit that really doesn't apply to most people.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#3 Post by JackalAndromeda »

I play a ton of demos. Some I'd like to play in full and some I know I wouldn't play all of. I played the Majipuri demo and I'm totally in love with that game. If I can find a full version to buy (and when I get the money) I'd play the full version, despite my weak grasp of Japanese.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#4 Post by chronoluminaire »

I absolutely loved the Mizuiro translation of Hiyori's scenario. (It prompted me to get a Dreamcast and the full Japanese Mizuiro, and try playing it through with my Kanji dictionary!) But that's a bit different, as it's one complete story, even if only part of the whole game.

But I also have enjoyed playing translations of Japanese bishoujo game demos with no expectation of getting the whole thing. Why is quite hard to pin down... Because I like the evocative experience, even if only briefly? Because I like to form opinions on which games I'd like to play in the alternate universe where I have the time and Japanese to do so? Because I enjoy whatever scraps of bishoujo games I can get my hands on? There are aspects of all of these. It's not so much the case now, but back in the day, I'd take the time to download and play these demos, with much thankfulness to the translators.

GLACIER
Regular

#5 Post by GLACIER »

Translated demos are a great way to get a feel of the games that're out there. I don't see how anyone could get any real satisfaction out of them, but they're interesting for "research" (I use the term loosely) purposes.

Out of interest, I also download demos of foreign games (provided that file sizes are reasonable) that receive little to no exposure when compared to mainstream Western and Japanese (console, handheld) products. I rarely play any particular demo for more than a few minutes, but I still enjoy evaluating them for technical construction and gameplay quality.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I don't like demos... Full version or nothing is how I feel about all games in general- maybe even all software in general. I used to think that this very strongly applied to bishoujo games... but now I'm not so sure... I just played my very first commercial bishoujo game, Hourglass of Summer, this past weekend. I think it is such an awesome game. When I think about how I almost didn't get it, it makes me feel lucky that I did. If I would've been able to play a demo of it first, I would not have had to rely on luck to get the game- I would've realized how much I liked it, and bought it. Anyway, now I think that maybe there are other games out there that I would like a lot too, but I don't know which ones they are, and I can't exactly buy all of them. So maybe a demo would be good in helping to make a decision about whether or not to buy a game. But if you can't buy the full version (or be able to read it >_<), then I think demos aren't worth the time. But, of course, that depends on how much exactly your time is worth ^_^

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

Going to add my two cents here!

1. That's a tough call for me. I love a game that has a good story, but if the demo gets me interested in it and there's no ending to it, just a *this is all we are going to show you*...that would partially make me want to buy the game and partially because the story was so good, but at the same time, if I disagree with the storyline, I probably won't go and buy the game.

2. Nope...I DO want to learn Japanese at some point and time, though.

3. Can't say that I can think of any outside of wanting the person to buy the full game.

I guess I'm kind of right down the middle on this...in some cases the demo is a good idea - it tells me whether or not to get the full game - but others...I think, that at least for me, I'll play a demo only if it is well done...if it seems to be something put together in a rush, I'll pass on it.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

My year of meats, er, demos

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

The year of Insani demos was interesting. Am I glad that it's over, and that small projects are getting done? Yeah. If you begin a story, it's best to finish it. (I know that well.)

I was sort of "meh" about Wind a Breath of Heart, as well as its TV anime spinoff... but since the game's fan translation might be finished this year, I ended up putting $80 down on the full game.

Haru no Ashioto (Footsteps of Spring) had some annoying self-pity moments, but by the demo's end I was saying "wow!" A few months later, Anonono was even better. I would LOVE to see the full stories! Even if the fan translation was never completed, even if there was no one to write an English script, and even if there were no summaries... I'd still consider buying both of 'em and guessing what happens.

Majipuri had Kanon's pacing and the dumb/wrong humor of Heart de Roommate. It was great ^_^

Until the new Al|together projects, I just never found time for the other three demos.

Much praise goes to the people behind the Tsukihime fan translation, since they have worked on it and nothing else. I still worry whether the Men at Work 2 project will live again after a year of silence. Other projects have been similarly quiet.

Compare and contrast: between the time the work began on Wind and March 05, G-Collections released one game about every two months. Hirameki released four titles, went into a six-month hibernation, and is just now alive again. And Peach Princess is slowly finishing up its third game since March 04. What does this prove? Well, the markets are still struggling to grow, but beyond that... (See also Urban Vision, AnimEigo, Working Designs.)

Also, I noticed ShiraiJunichi said he/she finished his/her first commercial visual novel in the form of Hourglass of Summer. Someday, I may give that one a try, since it has good character designs and at least one good review. Probably better than my first game, Three Sisters Story - even though I found several positive aspects to it. Honestly. :shock:
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by mikey »

I find that a demo without an option of buying a full game is like someone giving you a wonderful piece of the coral sea full of exotic fish, beautiful and colorful sea life, a sunny day, a wet suit... but oxygen for 5 minutes only. If you're just "interested", or simply looking for new experiences, I guess it's okay, but otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by musical74 »

I find the main problem with a demo only is that if you really like the demo, you are thinking *geez I wish they would actually make the full game*...there was a group few years back that did demos of what was supposed to be a huge game - 3 demos, which were all playable, but...that's all they are. Demos, with no finished game. If you want to look at them, they are the Neophyte series - you can find them on the underdogs website. The graphics look great, the story is interesting...but it ends all too soon.

And mikey...why the frown?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#11 Post by papillon »

I think a small smattering of demos to show people what the games are like is a good thing. They can be used to build awareness and interest and *maybe* help get games brought over officially. (Unlikely, but one can always hope.)

However, once you've got a decent sampling of translated demos out there, translating more demos is just mean.

And similarly, I played a bit of some demos, but not much, because... well, what's the point? I'll glance at them to learn more about what the Japanese are doing with the art form to give me suggestions, but I can't bother getting into the story because I'll only be disappointed.

(Alas, the Japanese companies have no interest in partnering with OEL games either. They hate you and don't want you to have any anime games to play. :) )

ChocoEd

Re: My year of meats, er, demos

#12 Post by ChocoEd »

gekiganwing wrote:The year of Insani demos was interesting. Am I glad that it's over, and that small projects are getting done? Yeah. If you begin a story, it's best to finish it. (I know that well.)
By the way, insani hasn't given up on doing commercial demos entirely, we've just been focusing on doujin games recently. There will likely be a mix of release types in the future, though.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by mikey »

Well, here's a theory, actually... Since a full translation makes the game accessible, it is very much worth the effort as you will agree. But when there's only a part translated, the value of the story will suffer substantially (incomplete) and often ends up being more frustrating than rewarding. Essentially you're left with graphics, presentation and music. And that isn't much different than actually playing the demo... in Japanese. :wink: