How to avoid Renpy web pixelation?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Chains

How to avoid Renpy web pixelation?

#1 Post by Chains »

I don't know if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything about it.

My Renpy web game displays images as pixelated (like with a mosaic filter) when they are shown for the first time. It takes about 1 second before the pixelation is gone. I tried resizing the image files since I assumed they are too large for a web build but even small GUI imagebuttons are loaded this way, no matter how much I resize them. I have tried converting all images to webp files but this also didn't change anything.

My game has a 1920 x 1080 resolution and the GUI folder is 1.2MB. Individual character sprites are about 300KB. I don't have this issue when I am playing other people's Renpy web games, so I don't think my device is the issue.

Any ideas how to fix this?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: How to avoid Renpy web pixelation?

#2 Post by PyTom »

This happens when an image is shown, but hasn't been downloaded yet. There are a couple of ways you can fix this:

* You can include the images in the zip file, by not declaring them in progressive_download.txt
* You can make sure Ren'Py can predict the images. That's complex, but this article covers it - it works the same way on web and the rest of Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Chains

Re: How to avoid Renpy web pixelation?

#3 Post by Chains »

PyTom wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:14 pm This happens when an image is shown, but hasn't been downloaded yet. There are a couple of ways you can fix this:

* You can include the images in the zip file, by not declaring them in progressive_download.txt
* You can make sure Ren'Py can predict the images. That's complex, but this article covers it - it works the same way on web and the rest of Ren'Py.
Thank you for the fast help, PyTom! I included the images in the zip file and it works perfectly now. But I'll also look into the article to avoid these issues in the future.