Help wanted to get latest version of Ren’Py to open old .rpy files

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
willanik
Regular

Help wanted to get latest version of Ren’Py to open old .rpy files

#1 Post by willanik »

Hi Ren’Py folk,

I’ve been developing a game, using an older version of Ren’Py (6.99.12.3). It worked perfectly well until recently. Now, when I add new variables, the game refuses to recognise them, even though I am adding them the same way that has worked in the past.

I read that updating to the latest version of Ren’Py could fix this issue, so I just updated to 7.4.11.2266. This new version of Ren’Py will play my game, but when I try to open my .rpy files to work on them, I get "Error" and the statement “TypeError: environment can only contain strings”.

So my question is, how do I get Ren’Py 7.4.11.2266 to open my old .rpy files made in 6.99.12.3? Grateful for any help you can provide!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Help wanted to get latest version of Ren’Py to open old .rpy files

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Its not recommended, but if thats the way you want to do it, you can find old releases here:
https://www.renpy.org/release_list.html
Found at the bottom of this page:
https://www.renpy.org/latest.html

Note that 6.99.12.3 isn't there, the closest you'll find is 6.99.12
https://www.renpy.org/release/6.99.12
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#3 Post by Ocelot »

It seems to be a problem of integrating text editor with RenPy. Which editor do you use? Try to reinstall it through RenPy editor selection.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

willanik
Regular

#4 Post by willanik »

Many thanks for the replies.

With my paranoia for software updates, I kept a separate copy (external hard drive) of the old version of Ren’Py “just in case”. I can reload it if I need to.

I was using Editra as the text editor, and didn’t realise I had a choice of editors. I find that I cannot update Editra, so I just downloaded Atom and set it as default editor instead. And it shows my .rpy files! I’ve got back into working on my game, and Atom feels pretty good as the editor. So, success I think!

Thanks again guys. Much appreciated.