[Solved] Game-Only Update for Mobile doesn't export anything

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
downover
Regular

[Solved] Game-Only Update for Mobile doesn't export anything

#1 Post by downover »

I'm helping out with a large ren'py project which used to have an Android build but outgrew it. I'm looking into compression but thought I'd also give the Downloader for Large Games on Mobile a try.

I'm going through the documentation. I've created a downloader project that's using the code listed in the documentation. I'm now trying to get the game-only update from the game project. When I run the build, nothing is exported.

I've verified this an a brand new project - add `define build.game_only_update = True` to the options, run export, and nothing is exported. What other dependencies am I missing? Do I need to implement some of the stuff in the HTTPS/HTTP Updater section? Is there a repo with an example of a downloader and game pair that I can look at?
Last edited by downover on Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downover
Regular

Re: Game-Only Update for Mobile doesn't export anything

#2 Post by downover »

To clarify what I mean by build/export: I'm doing what the documentation says to do:

"That will add a new option that shows up to the launcher's Build Distributions screen, "Game-Only Update for Mobile". Check that, uncheck everything else, and run the build process."

downover
Regular

Re: Game-Only Update for Mobile doesn't export anything

#3 Post by downover »

Found it! The docs say "Check that, uncheck everything else, and run the build process." However, Build Updates has to be checked for anything to export. I'll make sure it's actually working tomorrow and file a doc fix and maybe look into an error if you try running it but Build Updates isn't checked.