An otome game where you are NOT the heroine.. good?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

An otome game where you are NOT the heroine.. good?

#1 Post by Riviera »

I just thought of that when I woke up this morning.. from a dream that I was playing an otome game, no less. It was completely made up, and unfortunately the guy was still in the "I'm being a dick to you because I haven't grown to love you yet" stage when I woke up. Sigh.

But really. Could that go over well? I thought about it, and it could go this way:

Basically, either you're the friend of the heroine or you meet her very soon after the game starts. You pick what guy you'll have a background with at the start, and either be childhood friends, in their class or club, or something of that nature. There'd naturally only be about 4 guys so that this wouldn't end up mind-bogglingly complex. The heroine would naturally go after YOUR guy, and would eventually ask you questions about him. You could choose to be nice and tell the truth (if you know the answer), lie, or say you don't know, or lie and say you do know and make up stuff. You could end up either giving up the guy to her and being her friend, or backstabbing her and grabbing the guy for yourself.

Kinda like rival mode in Tokimemo girl side, is what I'm thinking. There is also the possibility of, if you do befriend her and help her out with "your" guy, she could return the favor and hint at things she knows about a completely different guy. If you're telling the truth, so is she. If you're not, she might be lying.

Could that be too complicated? I dunno, that could be fun..

Ahahaa, I dug up my password just to make this totally TL;DR post xP
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

Re: An otome game where you are NOT the heroine.. good?

#2 Post by curry nochi rice »

it's good to play as a side character for a while.... maybe even the anti-heroine...hahaha
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Riviera »

Oh yeah, haha plenty of chance for anti-heroine actions.. could even play pranks on her to make her look like an idiot in front of the guy, or do things to help create dokidoki moments between them..

But I tend to think of things and then get indepth on them until they are so complicated pros would think me insane LOL

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#4 Post by Chansel »

Hehe, this sounds pretty cool ^^
A very original idea that really has potential.
It also sounds like a nightmare to script though O.O
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Riviera »

Nah, if I ever did this, or gave it to someone else to do, it would end up not being near as complicated.

Say, with three guys (starry sky style), and the advice mechanic would work like conversations... where each guy'd have maybe 4. And they'd play out for you giving them to her the same way as they'd play out for her giving them to you. There'd also be one prank and one "assist" per guy, which could be done by you or her (maybe different reactions if you or her does it?).

I also think that since she's the heroine, there'd actually be more focus on your interaction with her than on your interaction with the guy. The guy'd have the standard "talk and go out once or twice" and that'd really be it. Since this would be more about you being a minor character.

Chansel
Veteran

#6 Post by Chansel »

Well, to me, that still sounds rather complicated. But then again, I'm no real scripter :P

I'd say, go for it!

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Riviera »

Problem is, neither am I! I was actually just tossing ideas out in the hopes someone else would pick up on this!

I know nothing about making games at all!... I dunno, though. If I do make one, I'll likely try this out.

Chansel
Veteran

#8 Post by Chansel »

Haha XD
I had/have the same problem! No experience or knowledge AT ALL.
But I find that there's a lot of information on the ren'py site, the tuturial is pretty handy and this forum has answered a lot of questions already. And if there's still something that you want to know, but can't find, someone here is almost always willing to help you out =D
*applaudes the forum-members*

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#9 Post by Aleema »

Ooooh, okay. At first, I was like "No, that sounds like BxG," but then I read your details. =P Romance novels (okay I've read a few) capitalize on this by switching the POV every chapter or so. Girls want to know what it is about them that guys like, cuz guys rarely ever tell them. I find that the romance novel is well researched in this field because it switches the POV and the girl gets just as much pleasure from reading it. (Although, to be fair, I'm sure the tactic rose from the unusually large male-under-female-name authors' need to relate.) I also find myself preferring to write from the guy's POV sometimes ... I swear I'm not gay, snarksnark. =P

Blabbering aside, I think it's a cute idea that would allow both genders to get just as much fun from it -- probably. If done right. Though there's just something about playing from the girl's POV to get that "reverse-harem" feeling ... :D

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Riviera »

Oh, sorry, sorry! The character you play would be a girl! Didn't mean for the confusion.

I meant what guy your character would have a background with... errr... history with, would be what you'd pick. So you'd have the route you'd take from the getgo, it wouldn't likely change. I had that idea of the heroine giving you advice for another guy but that might be too complicated for a while.

You'd start out the same way rival girls do in these games. Already knowing said guy, having been around him, and the heroine pops up and is after him. Do you help her? Do you thwart her?

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#11 Post by Aleema »

Haha, yeah, I guess my brain needs more sleep. Anti-heroine is a good idea. :)

Anvil Factory

#12 Post by Anvil Factory »

I really shouldn't be visiting forums when I have things due today, but I love side characters like mad and have always wanted to make a visual novel. I guess my comment can count as a warning that I may borrow this idea if I find the motivation to work on this. :lol:

Ceraby

#13 Post by Ceraby »

I find this idea interesting =D But I think I'd like lesser freedom in it. Like instead of having the option of the guy possibly falling for you, have the game center solely around you being the matchmaker or matchbreaker hehe. That's just my opinion though. I think I'd have more fun with a game like that. And being a side character would be awesome for a change. Side characters don't get enough recognition as they deserve! D:<

Oh wait I just re-read the posts and replies... it really is like a matchmaking game...

...Please make it lol!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#14 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hey, that's a wonderful idea! :D I'd like to see how you make it true!

Nanashiko
Regular

#15 Post by Nanashiko »

I agree with everyone else! That sounds like it could be a really fun game to play and really funny if used right!