What Color scheme should I go with?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sehaf
Regular
Projects: Demon Lord & Yuki Academy
Deviantart: Sehad

What Color scheme should I go with?

#1 Post by Sehaf »

As the topic suggest. I want to know what color scheme you people think is best. Other critique about the art is also appreciated (have not yet shaded the character thou so no need to mention that.) Also, if you think of another color combination, post the color codes and where you think they should be applied.
Attachments
Color.jpg
I'm a GameMaker!
My Portfolio: http://www.bluepipestudio.com

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

Re: What Color scheme should I go with?

#2 Post by rioka »

Any of them would work fine, imo but if you choose the darker colors, it just adds that bit of mystery and seriousness. If you have other characters from other schools, I think it would be best to keep the colors of those character's uniform in mind. For example, if you choose a dark color for this girl, maybe another character from another school will have white or light uniforms, and another one will have green, and so on.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#3 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I personally like the maroon, black, and dark blue ones best

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#4 Post by broken_angel »

The only ones I specifically don't like are the light blue and green ones.
If you go with blue, the dark one would be much better.

My personal favorite, though, is the dark brown one. If the black were a bit lighter (as it is, it just looks like a big black blob on my laptop), I would like it better...but then again, I always go for the neutral colors. xP

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#5 Post by Aleema »

Since you're going with a light blue tie, you'll need to pick a color that compliments it. I recommend the red dress, or the navy dress. The other colors seems to draw too much attention to the tie. Hmm.

Sehaf
Regular

#6 Post by Sehaf »

The tie is supposed to have different colors depending on which year you are in. Also, like your suggestions so far.
I'm a GameMaker!

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#7 Post by Sapphi »

Hm. I personally like 1, 5, and 7. I think if the tie changes colors with the year, it would make sense to keep the uniform neutral. Aleema noted that it draws the eye to the tie, which could be a plus, since the color has significant meaning.

I kinda like the navy blue ver too, but I feel like I'd appreciate it more if it were more muted, since the vividness of the blue (at least on my screen) stands out too much. As far as the actual character wearing the uniform, I think her hair color works best with the navy blue and not so much the neutrals, but as a school-wide uniform I think neutrals are good. ^_^;
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#8 Post by Nuxill »

If the colors change based on year I would go with one of the more neutral colors like black or brown, and it might be good to pick a color that isn't too similar to any of your character's hair colors. The first version in the lineup looks like a big brown blob. :O

Also I agree with what Sapphi said about the tie: it doesn't 'fit' (what I assume is) your chosen palette all that much. Every other color is toned down a little bit; the tie would benefit from it too. If you want the eye to be drawn to it give the tie some contrast to the outfit another way.

As for the drawings... they're quite nice, but the butt looks a bit off. I'd either trim it down a bit and/or have the character's left arm hang in front of the body instead of behind it.

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#9 Post by sayuri »

The browns wash her out, red looks like a naughty secretary costume, black I don't mind terribly but it's so common. That leaves the blues and green. Light blue and green clash with the tie but I'm not sure how important the tie is. In my opinion, the lighter colors seem more teacher-y and less student-y. So I'll go with navy blue.

shatteredfox
Regular
Projects: Winter Blue Bells. (3%) // A Mirror of Life(20%)

#10 Post by shatteredfox »

Pyonkotchi wrote:I personally like the maroon, black, and dark blue ones best
this except take out the black. I dunno maybe it's just my computer but it makes it REALLY dark. Other than that maroon and dark blue is really nice :3.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#11 Post by Sapphi »

Nuxill wrote: Also I agree with what Sapphi said about the tie: it doesn't 'fit' (what I assume is) your chosen palette all that much. Every other color is toned down a little bit; the tie would benefit from it too. If you want the eye to be drawn to it give the tie some contrast to the outfit another way.
Actually, that was kinda Aleema's suggestion; I actually like the pop of color because if the ties identify the years, I think it's okay for them to stand out.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Nuxill
Veteran

#12 Post by Nuxill »

Sapphi wrote:
Nuxill wrote: Also I agree with what Sapphi said about the tie: it doesn't 'fit' (what I assume is) your chosen palette all that much. Every other color is toned down a little bit; the tie would benefit from it too. If you want the eye to be drawn to it give the tie some contrast to the outfit another way.
Actually, that was kinda Aleema's suggestion; I actually like the pop of color because if the ties identify the years, I think it's okay for them to stand out.
Oops! Sorry about that! :oops:

Perhaps instead of the tie you could lower the the rest of the outfit's saturation more? IMO the colors are fighting with each other. It also might be good to brighten or darken the outfit sans tie a since there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in value.

EDIT: I added a file with my own suggestion of what you could do. Sorry it's pretty crappy.
The tie is darkened a tiny bit (without touching saturation) to make it stand out more.
Attachments
quickncrappycoloredit.png

Sehaf
Regular

#13 Post by Sehaf »

First of all, happy to all the answers I get. Stuff like that, that keeps you going. Have uploaded a picture of the entire student cast in the game. Many have talked about hair color so here you see how the different people look. Have also made changes the colors according to some suggestions. One PM:ed me and said that he thought that the brighter colors did not go well if I went with light background, which I intend to do. Thou the color of the tie is important, it is not set in stone.
Attachments
Cast.jpg
I'm a GameMaker!

Nuxill
Veteran

#14 Post by Nuxill »

Looks good! :)
Glad you were able to come up with something you like.

What kind of colors do you have in mind for the ties?

Sehaf
Regular

#15 Post by Sehaf »

have yet to deside. Have to come up with a color for each year so I pick the best for the cast.
I'm a GameMaker!