USB Problem?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

USB Problem?

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Heeey, dunno if this is the right place to post this but anywaaaaaaaay.

I bought a USB that has 4GB capacity. I went there before to save some pictures, but when I looked later on, the pictures were... ruined. This gave me a theory that the USB had a virus, so I reformatted it. Now, I used the USB to back up my files. I also used it to back-up my HTML project, but when I wanted to update my project, I attempted to erase the old files. But the old folder remained with two HTML files, a .txt file and a MS-DOS file that I didn't even know where it came from. I tried deleting the files inside it, but when I came back inside the folder, the four files are still there.

Also another problem : the old back-up folders I have before in there have all their files replaced with the HTML folder contents : but all files aren't working. The Ren'Py back-ups won't work either, even the images and the music are all corrupted. The only folder that doesn't have any errors in it are the drawings folder : but two sub-folders are also replaced with the contents of the HTML folder which isn't working. Only one sub-folder is working though which is the folder full of my tablet drawings.

Any suggestion how can I solve this? I have another 1GB USB that accidentally got all the data in it deleted, but the problem is that no matter how many visible data I remove, the HTML folder still won't fit. :\

AxemRed
Veteran

Re: USB Problem?

#2 Post by AxemRed »

It appears the filesystem was corrupted, which usually happens when you remove a USB disk without first unmounting it (or ejecting, or whatever Windows calls it these days). The only way to fix that is reformatting it.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#3 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

That means reformatting for the SECOND time :/
Better tell my father to turn me to an administrator then XD

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SusanTheCat »

I once had a USB drive that said it was 4GB but was really only 256M. It would corrupt the data if I put more than 256M on it. I returned it to the store and got a good one.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#5 Post by EternalDream »

@ Susan: Damn, that sucks! >:O Good thing they let you exchange it for another one...

@ Lumen: And yeah, the reason you're USB went wacko is probably 'cuz you didn't unmount/eject or whatever like AxemRed said before... is what my ICS teach told me before. Though it never happened to me even though I just randomly pull everything out like a madman o_O;; I think maybe it has something to do with USB quality or maybe it's just people's luck (hit and miss) lol Anyways, hope you fix whatever's wrong ^^ since I think it'll be so annoying to keep on manually unmounting/ejecting the USB everytime :/

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by musical74 »

I agree, it sounds like the filesystem got corrupt :? Something I learned the hard way when I just took out the USB flash drive before having Windows say *you can safely remove this* and it corrupted everything in the USB drive...good thing flash drives are pretty cheap

If this is an ongoing issue with this particular USB see if you can get a new one.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

It never happens to me even I pull out without removing it "safely" (of course I do it only when I can't eject it properly). The flashdisk is full of data but they are fine...

You say flashdisk is cheap? Well, perhaps that's exactly the reason why. Try buying some more expensive flashdisk next time,like those from famous flashdisk brand (not just famous brand since I find that HP and Toshiba flashdisk sucks).

I always use Transcend brand. But Kingston is still okay. Don't know for flashdisk, but for SD card, Sandisk is the best out there. They're all more expensive and you won't get nice feature like small or colorfull or anything like that... but the main purpose of flashdisk is to preserve your data, not being pretty, so that comes first.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW