GxB games - survey

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Recca Phoenix
Veteran

GxB games - survey

#1 Post by Recca Phoenix »

This is further research for the game I am currently making. Also just curious.
Girls -
What do you want out of a GxB game?
What do you dislike about those you've played (either fan-made or pro)
What is your favorite GxB game?
What type of male character do you like?
What can you not stand in a male character?
Give me an example of a character (from a renai game or anime or whatever) who personifies the type you like/dislike.

In case you were wondering, these are my answers.
I like games that let you be yourself to an extent or give you a lot of freedom.
What I don't like about the fan-made games is they give you too much of a set character and story. The ones with one male character just don't work for me unless he's some kind of universally-attractive super-bishounen or whatever. The problem with the pro games is many rely way too much on the points system or doing very very specific things that are impossible to figure out.
My favorite is Meine Liebe, although I HATED the points system. It was hella hard to get the guy you wanted.
The types I like personally are like Naoji in Meine Liebe and Kyouya & Mori in Ouran HS Host Club. Hihara in La Corda d'Oro isn't bad either.
The types I can't stand are like that cello guy in La Corda (illness does not attract me, thank you) and Honey in Host Club. *apologies to all the Honey fans, but there's a name for that - PEDOPHILIA*
I also hate when male characters are too sensitive/accomodating.....it's hard to put this into words, but sometimes they are *too* nice and it's odd.
The problem for me with the charas in La Corda was that they were all too.....good......there wasn't anyone remotely rebellious (unless you count that smoking teacher).

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#2 Post by papillon »

Don't have a lot of experience with GxB games. Have always really wanted to play Angelique but nobody's managed to fansub the things yet! *sulk*

I poked at Other Age a bit... :) which was amusing at first because you had so much choice in what sort of boy you wanted to meet up with, but the restrictions of the flash interface (not being able to save or get back to a point, iirc) got frustrating after a while.

What I like in a male character? Oh man, I am going to sound cliche... tall, dark, and brooding? Long-haired bishonen? Intelligent, sophisticated, slightly older, holding Dark Secrets that only I can be entrusted with? (I also have a weakness for magic. Wizards, psychics, elves, etc will get extra points with me.)

What I don't like: people who are stupid (even if they're Dumb But Lovable, I won't want to date them), people who are really athletic (Or really interested in sports), people who are really popular (I don't trust 'em. If a Popular Guy is flirting with me, I'm being set up for some horrible trap.), overzealous ladykillers (NO MANSLUTS! :) Bad Akio! Bad Touga! Down! ... Okay, I admit, if they're present as an option in a dating game I will go after them just to see, but they're not my top pick :) ), sexists.

absinthe
Regular

#3 Post by absinthe »

papillon wrote:What I like in a male character? Oh man, I am going to sound cliche... tall, dark, and brooding? Long-haired bishonen? Intelligent, sophisticated, slightly older, holding Dark Secrets that only I can be entrusted with? (I also have a weakness for magic. Wizards, psychics, elves, etc will get extra points with me.)
That's my favorite type too, although I prefer vampires, werewolves, and ghosts to wizards and elves (okay, I like elves too). Bonus points if he's been emotionally wounded at some point and I'm the only one who can help.

I have a weakness for the ladykillers, though, but only if they're not sleazy about it. Which means they're not usually my cuppa but sometimes, if handled *just* right...

And I don't think I've ever actually played a GXB game either, now that I think about it!
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

absinthe wrote:And I don't think I've ever actually played a GXB game either, now that I think about it!
http://www.renai.us/all.shtml#amgine
http://www.renai.us/all.shtml#ruleworld
^_^

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

apologies to all the Honey fans, but there's a name for that - PEDOPHILIA
Aww, but he's so cute :) (yes, I'm a guy, but still :p).

absinthe
Regular

#6 Post by absinthe »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:
absinthe wrote:And I don't think I've ever actually played a GXB game either, now that I think about it!
^_^
Oh! Okay, if those count as "GXB", then I take it back, I definitely have. :) I guess I was thinking GXB in the context of a True Love-style dating sim, although now that I really think about it, the term does just mean a female hero and male love interests.

(In which case, the game I've written is GXB too!)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

mokenju1
Regular

#7 Post by mokenju1 »

Umm... I supose I like bishounen that are hard to get like the main character of Tokimeki Memorial Girl's side ( Kei?) or the teacher of this game. The cold, prince-type :roll: . Sport and Fashion type are o.k. but I don't like many meganes ( serious student character with glasses), shota (like Hunny) or pervs (like the principal in TMGS).

I like GXB games where relationship improves with choices you make in the game and are also skill related, like in Princess Maker 4 where your daughter has to gain high scores in some skills to marry the "normal" prince and others to marry the demon prince. But Princess Maker isn't really a dating sim...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

absinthe wrote:
ShiraiJunichi wrote:
^_^
Oh! Okay, if those count as "GXB", then I take it back, I definitely have. :) I guess I was thinking GXB in the context of a True Love-style dating sim, although now that I really think about it, the term does just mean a female hero and male love interests.
(In which case, the game I've written is GXB too!)
And as of today, there is also
http://www.renai.us/all.shtml#oa :P