Multiple writers and organization.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
ActionSage
Regular
Projects: LMA

Multiple writers and organization.

#1 Post by ActionSage »

I've been think about this for a while and I really don't know what to do about it. The VN i'm working on, has a total of 10 romance options, I only plan or writing 2 alone and getting others to help with the other 8. However some of the characters don't appear in the cannon story for sometime. So, I thought how will we be able to tie everything together if one writer could not start until like... day 10, because that's when his/her character makes an appearance.

We could just give each writer complete freedom of write whatever they want and let the editors deal with it but...
Come see what we're making in the labs! Project Updates, Artwork, and more at http://luminouslabs.blogspot.com/
Visual Novel Project:Liquid Metal Angel

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Multiple writers and organization.

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

10 paths is also very ambitious, and it would definitely be easier to cut the number down. That being said, if you thing you need it, it's just something that you're going to have to work really hard to have.

Having multiple writers is going to be tough, but it's not altogether impossible. I've personally avoided it (for Eternal Memories, I'm sucking it up and writing all 7 paths, because I prefer that to getting more writers), because of style and logistical nightmares, but here's my opinions on the best ways to use multiple writers (for what it's worth).

You want to have a clear plan. You should plot out the major events that happen in the story, and the dates that these events happen. Basically, you want a roadmap that also includes key dates. This will help the writers coordinate themselves and give them a good picture of what's happening. If it's raining on March 10th, you want it to be raining on March 10th for all the paths.

In terms of style, you're just going to have to pray to the gods of writing and have an amazing editor.

I believe that the most important thing for writers is to have what each writer is writing visible to all the other writers, pretty much in real time. I'd recommend using google docs, dropbox, or some other like service for this. Your writers should make sure to check what the other writers are doing, so they'll have a good idea of where the stories are going.

Basically, you want your writers to have a good idea of what things are going on, so that they can account for it.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Starcloud
Projects: The Jovian Sunsets

#3 Post by Starcloud »

I have been thinking about this as well and your advice really hit home - so thanks! It does seem hard to find a comfortable place to draw a line in the sand between what you want to create and giving the writers artistic freedom. I don't want to hijack a thread but since it seems topical do you have any further advice about finding that happy middle road between the two?
"The dude abides"
Ask me about my work in progress, The Jovian Sunsets. Not really hiring at the moment but I am always willing to share!

ActionSage
Regular

#4 Post by ActionSage »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:10 paths is also very ambitious, and it would definitely be easier to cut the number down. That being said, if you thing you need it, it's just something that you're going to have to work really hard to have.

Having multiple writers is going to be tough, but it's not altogether impossible. I've personally avoided it (for Eternal Memories, I'm sucking it up and writing all 7 paths, because I prefer that to getting more writers), because of style and logistical nightmares, but here's my opinions on the best ways to use multiple writers (for what it's worth).

You want to have a clear plan. You should plot out the major events that happen in the story, and the dates that these events happen. Basically, you want a roadmap that also includes key dates. This will help the writers coordinate themselves and give them a good picture of what's happening. If it's raining on March 10th, you want it to be raining on March 10th for all the paths.

In terms of style, you're just going to have to pray to the gods of writing and have an amazing editor.

I believe that the most important thing for writers is to have what each writer is writing visible to all the other writers, pretty much in real time. I'd recommend using google docs, dropbox, or some other like service for this. Your writers should make sure to check what the other writers are doing, so they'll have a good idea of where the stories are going.

Basically, you want your writers to have a good idea of what things are going on, so that they can account for it.
I might actually make the game shorter and leave the rest for sequels.
I've already made that roadmap so to speak. I have a complete outline for the 2 main paths. Google docs is a good idea,
one that I'm already using as well. I just hope I can find writers that won't automatically dismiss the project because of how many paths. What do you mean by logistical nightmares?
Come see what we're making in the labs! Project Updates, Artwork, and more at http://luminouslabs.blogspot.com/

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

ActionSage wrote:What do you mean by logistical nightmares?
Ah... logistical nightmares... People work at different paces, and it's also quite possible that a writer is going to drop before the project's completion. You're going to have writers with varying styles, and some are going to be less willing to work with editors as others. It's quite possible that some writers will start fighting, and the entire project could become threatened. Those are just some of the possible problems. Even so, with enough stamina and management skill, you could probably pull it off. (It's just something that I don't think I'd be tough enough to handle.)

As for the paths, they relate, don't they? You want to make sure that you know where the story is going in each one, and make sure that elements don't conflict. In Eternal Memories, for example, key events include the start of school, testing dates, rainy days, graduation, and those sorts of things. These things would happen regardless what the path is, and they need to stay consistent on all the paths.
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

ActionSage
Regular

#6 Post by ActionSage »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:
ActionSage wrote:What do you mean by logistical nightmares?
Ah... logistical nightmares... People work at different paces, and it's also quite possible that a writer is going to drop before the project's completion. You're going to have writers with varying styles, and some are going to be less willing to work with editors as others. It's quite possible that some writers will start fighting, and the entire project could become threatened. Those are just some of the possible problems. Even so, with enough stamina and management skill, you could probably pull it off. (It's just something that I don't think I'd be tough enough to handle.)
If I was able to get other writers, how many do you think I would need?

Calissa Leigh
Regular
Completed: No games, just books. :)
Projects: Murder Mystery 1
Organization: Arcato Publishing

#7 Post by Calissa Leigh »

How much text is required per path? Some writers can write 5000k words a day. Some barely reach 200.

You'll also need to see how they handle dialogue. Do the guys sound like girls with pants? Do they have the same attitude throughout?

Personally, having multiple writers may be difficult. You'd still have to go in and edit through the ideas, and what if what they come up with isn't as good as you want it to be? Or flat out sucks?

You'd have to find someone whose writing you loved and that person has to be someone you'd be willing to share your ideas with.

How much writing are you doing for the two paths you are working on now?

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I'd agree that with having multiple writers, there are many things to consider. You have to consider the pace at which the writers are able to write, their styles, their quality, ack, listing this brings back the "logistical nightmare" and my head hurts. :lol:

You want to try to use as few writers as practically possible.

You should really consider your management skills before you do this as well. With each writer that you add, things will become exponentially more difficult. It's certainly something that I don't think I could handle. :lol:
Tsundere VN

ActionSage
Regular

#9 Post by ActionSage »

Calissa Leigh wrote:How much text is required per path? Some writers can write 5000k words a day. Some barely reach 200.

You'll also need to see how they handle dialogue. Do the guys sound like girls with pants? Do they have the same attitude throughout?

Personally, having multiple writers may be difficult. You'd still have to go in and edit through the ideas, and what if what they come up with isn't as good as you want it to be? Or flat out sucks?

You'd have to find someone whose writing you loved and that person has to be someone you'd be willing to share your ideas with.

How much writing are you doing for the two paths you are working on now?
I don't really not how much is required yet. I can knock out at least 2000 a day. For those 2 paths I plan on writing everything.

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I'd agree that with having multiple writers, there are many things to consider. You have to consider the pace at which the writers are able to write, their styles, their quality, ack, listing this brings back the "logistical nightmare" and my head hurts. :lol:

You want to try to use as few writers as practically possible.

You should really consider your management skills before you do this as well. With each writer that you add, things will become exponentially more difficult. It's certainly something that I don't think I could handle. :lol:
I'll ask for writing samples,writing times and I would make relaxed deadlines for slower writers...Considering all this info I think I'll pick only one extra writer to help fill in. Maybe 3, but that's pushing it.