Ren'Py abused! Two weeks from download to commercial game..

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
nspired

Ren'Py abused! Two weeks from download to commercial game..

#1 Post by nspired »

OK, so I've created my first Ren'Py game...

First a warning: The Ren'Py purists are going to scream because what I have done does not fit the genre at all! But it does demonstrate the flexibility of Ren'Py.

I've created an educational game called LearningSquared! It is a jeopardy style game for use in classroom settings. I've been testing the waters with it for about a week now (as shareware).

In that time I've had 60 downloads and one purchase. Not too bad, I think, for shareware.

Anyway... I was waiting to say anything here for a couple of reasons (thanks mikey)...

1) The download is currently hosted on my website and too much traffic is going to cost me money (and I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination).

2) I think I may need to tweak the license just a bit.

So, if you are interested in what I have done, if you can wait a few days until I have the download posted on a different server (that won't cost me money for high traffic) I would really appreciate it.

I promise to post here when that happens (probably about a week from now). I'm submitting to downloads.com. So, if you can wait that would be great for two reasons. First, it won't cost me money. Second, it will help my rankings on downloads.com.

Also, if you are interested... I am getting ready to apply for "SmartBoard" certification.

I have two additional Ren'Py projects underway. One is a rewrite of some other code, the second is a health related (serious games genre) project.

Anyway... I really did create LearningSquared in about two weeks: literally from download to finished. I think it is pretty stable and bug free. This is a testament to Ren'Py!

Release two is already started and will add some better sound FX, better host and sidekick animations, etc.

Visit nSpiredGames.com/prod011.htm if you'd like. But please wait to download... please!!!!

Cheers!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

If you want, you can attach it here. I ask that you don't make this an official mirror site, but if people here want to see it, you could always attach it to a post.

"SmartBoard"... is that the interactive whiteboard, or something else?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

nspired

First game is here... thanks Py'Tom

#3 Post by nspired »

All,

Py'Tom (see above) said it was OK to post my game here for ya'll to look at so here it is.

Py'Tom pointed out that rollback is on and immediately ends the game... I'm fixing this...

Also, I know the game is perhaps a bit "cheesy" by the visual novels standards I have seen here. I am interesting in knowing what people think anyway... be nice though I'm awfully sensitive...

I really kind of started it as a learning exercise ...

I've seen posts here about developing games for the education market... but I'm not sure that anyone else has done so yet. Has anyone? I kinda hope I am the first but not the last.

Yes, SmartBoard is an interactive whiteboard.

Also, I've mentioned other projects... With one of them, I have a "major research university" interested in collaboration on it... So, look for bigger and better things from me!
Attachments

[The extension exe has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

nspired wrote:Anyway... I was waiting to say anything here for a couple of reasons (thanks mikey)...
:cry: I feel guilty now. But then, if you don't want people to look for it and d/l it, simply don't mention that it's finished :wink: .

Also, for test purposes, there's always megaupload or other free hosting sites (or this forum in fact) - this way you can get feedback and all, before you ship, without worrying about bandwidth. And when you go official/download.com, you can then encourage people to grab it from the official channels.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote:Also, for test purposes, there's always m*gaupload or other free hosting sites
No, there's not.

These sites are annoying to the point of being dead to me.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Do they block you like rapidshare does for many people or is it something else? ô_o

Misuzu
Regular

#7 Post by Misuzu »

No, bit their captchas are a pain in the ass, the ads are annoying, so is the wait time, and their speeds arent that great >_>;;. I could go on and on, but I wont. Use the LemmaSoft Forum attachments please (or arrange something with me for free hosting for your site and project). Just avoid Rapidshare and sites like it! Please~~ I beg of you T_T...
(poor wget-chan gets raped by RapidShare)

As for the game itself, I briefly went through the setup process and was quite impressed by the amount of functionality showed in the game. It proves testament to how flexible of an engine Ren'Py is. Now all we need to do is make some Japanese documentation, throwing it at the Japanese, and see if we can take down KiriKiri xD.

absinthe
Regular

#8 Post by absinthe »

PyTom wrote:These sites are annoying to the point of being dead to me.
Yar, I agree. And what Misu said.

My favorite is the queue system, where the site flashes insane blinky ads at me and a countdown timer next to a banner claiming that if I gave them money I'd be downloading already.

My first modem topped out at maybe 2400 bps. Now I have a cable modem. I don't mind waiting a little before my download starts!
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

nspired, let us know when this release is final and when your website is good to handle traffic.